The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supplement suggestions for horse that gets very muscle sore?

7 YO OTTB jumper gelding, in serious training. He is not overjumped...his flatwork includes lots of lateral work and transitions both between and within the gaits, overall a lot more collected work. Occasional heavy gymnastic days with a good bit of trotting larger fences. He is putting on muscle through the topline and hindquarters like crazy, but just gets very muscle sore with the workload. Rider is very diligent about proper warm up and cool down and plenty of walk breaks. Just looking for a product out there that might reduce the swelling/inflammation in his muscles (without resorting to bute or banamine). The horse is an ulcery type and can't really do bute or devil's claw. I was thinking maybe yucca? He's very sound, only on MSM for maintenance, but something with more joint support as well might be in order at this age/stage of the game.

Do you live in an area that is deficient in Se? That would be my first thought. Check his Se and Vit E levels and supplement accordingly.

agree vitamin E and selenium...also a fan of platinum performance cj
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

Exclamation soft laser!

A LASER; that was the major use of soft lasers when they first appeared in this country.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Default dmg

I have done htis from med vet for the last 3 years ---- provides more oxygen to the the muscles . Also it cuts down on lactic acid.

Try magnesium. It's cheap. Or tyr the supplement with E-Sel-Mg.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

My recommendations would be Vitamin E supplement, magnesium supplement, and Back on Track mesh sheet for after he is worked. Can't guarantee anything will work, but won't do any harm!

Quote Originally Posted by LudgerFan View Post
    overall a lot more collected work.
    In addition to the suggestions of checking Se and Mg levels, I would add:

Muscles have to be stretched, as well as contracted, to be strong *and* healthy.

If you don't do days of just "go" work - gallops in the field for example, longer/lower work, etc, then muscles that work too much in collection can get quite sore, and easily.

I guess I should have mentioned that he does get periods of long and low work after asking for collection. I figured it would be assumed, but I guess thats presumptuous of me

I think part of the problem is that he is boarded at a facility that lacks turnout in anything other than a small all-weather paddock. He can't really gallop and play in turnout. He just mills around all night and occasionally will be silly and spook at something and buck and canter a few strides, but that's pretty much all he can do. He does get ridden out in the field several times a week and gets some good galloping in then, but I would really like to see him be able to rip it up out in a pasture on a regular basis and work it all out.

Thank for all your suggestions! Unfortunately, his rider is on a tight budget and can only afford a supplement at this time, so laser or back on track stuff is not an option.

Default Turn out Problem!!

You are on track with that being an issue, there is no replacement for good turnout.
    There is an excellent study in Equus about the fitness of turnout horses compared to horses with less. You know who wins????? Turned out! If this issue could be addressed you might see a change.
    As far as the back on track mesh sheet. I just got one a month a go --- It is awesome for my jumper , has it on at night and he is so relaxed in the mornings. LOVE IT!!

Exclamation massage therapy, effleurage, laser, & turnout 24/ 7

.find an equine sports massage therapist to work on him before and after he works; much like a laser it will increase circulation loosen any tight spots, increase range of motion; combined with good stretching it will go a long way toward avoiding soreness; check your feed for selenium content; have the massage therapist also, teach you effleurage; much like a laser, it will increase circulation loosen any tight spots, increase range of motion; combined with good stretching it will go a long way toward avoiding soreness; check your feed for selenium content ; When was it last analyzed along with your hay?alll of this plus good turnout will help' If you can, turn him out after working in some place larger than a stall; walking around with his head down , will go a long way toward stretching his top line; horses are meant to go that way naturally and to walk several miles/ day in that posture; in our misguided efforts to provide "good care" We lock them up , so they stand in one position round the clock; and a whole host of other unnatural behaviors ; 24/7 turnout can resolve many issues so, there is a list of areas tp investigate. Let us know what tri find outI studied equine p.t. for the very reason you mentioned; I was fortunate to have an excellent holistic vet, dr. Joyce Harman , moved into my area, and helped me strip away the "layers until we found the root cause; a subluxation of the pelvis; once, it hd been identified; therapy to resolve it was relatively easy; so, keep in touch!
    Last edited by Carol Ames; Sep. 26, 2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans