The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Proffesional Courtesy?.

Ok I know this person who gave me and other trainers cheques that bounced. Now I just found out she is trying to get BNT to give a clinic at her place. Should I email this BNT to warn her or just mind my own bussines?.
    Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Tricky. If you choose to warn the trainer, be careful what you put in writing so you don't commit libel. I would call, if possible. Even then, stick to exactly what YOU know and what happened to you. If she bounced a check to you, that's what you say. Don't repeat hearsay.

I have been in a similar situation with a bill dodger, farriers and vets. It's a bit different since I was barn manager and I sometimes ended up in the middle. The other professionals appreciated hearing my experience and could then make their own decisions about whether to work with that person. Some of it depends on your relationship with the BNT. If you know them and like them, then I think it's fair enough. If it's a total stranger, tread lightly.

I was once told by a reliable peer "I suggest you consider asking for cash before you begin teaching" when potentially picking up a new client.

Without being a gossip, it told me all I needed to know.

It isn't libel to say the person didn't pay you if she actually didn't pay you. But be complete and fair in your account, and keep in mind that during a lifetime, most people do make mistakes.

If the problem is recent and a long standing pattern, I think you have more of an obligation to the community. Some people would not as they would enjoy seeing a local rival suffer....

Even so, to get involved or not is still a grey area.

But...For one thing, the person you're concerned about may not be the one handling the money.

For another, the person may have changed. Nearly everyone deserves a second chance, and no one needs to get punished forever. In one case, a trainer was badmouthing a couple who had had financial problems thirty years prior. How long was she going to punish them? Well, forever, as far as she was concerned.

And as always, in the horse world, not everything happens quite the way it's reported. People do make things up about others in the horse world. The other checks may not have bounced - the person may have refused to pay for 'services not rendered' or had a dispute about what work should have been completed. Too, I knew a trainer who told everyone that any student that left his barn was thrown out for failure to pay...usually they left because they couldn't stand the trainer, and he wanted to counter-attack before that got around. Be careful of what you believe.

Too, your case may have been the only one - every other case could have been you! In other words, people were just gossiping about your case, til it turned out a whole flock of bounced checks occured, LOL. Too...did she eventually pay you back, or did you ever go talk to her about it? That might make a difference. She may not even have known your check bounced.

I know, I know...it sounds too forgiving. But, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I do realize there are just bad actors out there and have run into a few myself. But I try to not always assume that's the case. Alot of people aren't deliberately ripping you off, they may not read their statements, they may just be disorganized, and a payment could be worked out.

The usual approach, if any approach at all is made, is to very politely give a very factual account of what happened to you, and stress that things may be very different now.

But keep in mind, that if you ruin the clinic for her, it may be just a vindictive act against someone who really is trying to make a change, or isn't even handling the payments. And beware other motives...Back east, when I was a yout, a 'concerned citizen' told a clinician that the clinic organizer, wasn't able to fill the clinic and that the bnt likely would not get paid. The bnt canceled without explanation. The rival trainer didn't like the clinic-holder, and also wanted the bnt for herself, and planned to have clinics at her own place, which she hoped would finally get her more customers away from her rival....be very careful that someone like this isn't egging you on and just oh, distorting things a wee bit to get what she wants.
    Last edited by slc2; Sep. 28, 2009 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchmike View Post
    Ok I know this person who gave me and other trainers cheques that bounced. Now I just found out she is trying to get BNT to give a clinic at her place. Should I email this BNT to warn her or just mind my own bussines?.
    not your business mind your own

Did she make good on the checks? If so, mind your own business. If not, I would pass that on to BNT.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

If you do chose to "pass it on," DO NOT USE EMAIL!

That is the kind of thing one lets slip in conversation.

To do so in e-mail, opens yourself up to the email getting forwarded around and eventually making its way back to the person in question.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

as we say in Boston:
    “Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink”. Martin Lomasney, an old West End political boss from Boston, is best remembered for his warning to young politicians everywhere!

The saying is updated on his wikipedia page by none other than Eliot Spitzer — “never put it in email”.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post
    I was once told by a reliable peer "I suggest you consider asking for cash before you begin teaching" when potentially picking up a new client.

Without being a gossip, it told me all I needed to know.
    This.

I may know the person you're referring to. And if I do, s/he won't be able to fool a BNT clinician into committing to a clinic without due compensation,.......................in advance.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/