The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default European Championships in Fontainebleau

I just noticed the french team is posted and Nicholas Tousaint is not riding the gorgeous grey Galan de Sauvaguerre. Anyone know why? I LOVE that horse!
    Here's the link to the site with results:
    http://www.fontainebleau-2009.com/pages/accueil_gb.html

I think Galan may be injured, but I'm not sure...

The BBC has a good story up from their equestrian correspondent: A French Adventure

Default Fontainebleau

Great articel JER! Thanks for posting that. You always manage to find the most interesting articles

Do you belong to www.eventingworldwide.com? They have the course photos up now - looks pretty cool. Lots of water!

Course pictures here for non-members of EWW.

The Germans are in the lead so far, with GB and France behind them. Looks like Nicholas Tousaint had ANOTHER awesome dressage on a horse I've never seen and is in second behind Tina Cook who leads!!!!

So the computer ate my long post wondering why the breed for the TB's is often not listed on the leaderboards of major events while all of the other breeds are listed. The gist of it was I know Miner's Frolic is a purpose bred TB. There could be others, but a quick google search did not reveal the breeds for the other unlisted horses. Is it a fear of prejudice in dressage scoring, lack of breed pride, professional "embarrassment" that they have to scour the tracks for their horses (those on OTTB's) instead of having sponsors buy fancier ones? Do the WB registries sponsor riders thus making them more likely to remember to list the breed? Are some of the WB's still owned by their breeders? Basically, the question is why don't upper level TB riders trumpet the breed the way many the WB riders do?

They don't need to ?? I think Miners Frolic was bred to race (NH)
    http://www.sportponiesunlimited.com/...InARow0001.pdf
    The TB registry is in the business of promoting horses for racing, not for sport.
    All that information is available here; http://www.weatherbys.net/eol/
    Last edited by Equibrit; Sep. 25, 2009 at 02:51 PM.

NCRider, if you look down the results list, you'll notice that ALL of the horses whose breed affiliation isn't listed are British entries. Meanwhile, you'll also see that one of the Belgian horses is listed as a TB.

Given that breed affiliation is missing for 4 of 5 British horses and for no one from any other country, I suspect this has something to do with whoever was in charge of paperwork.

The other UK horses:

Flint Curtis -- trad British-bred TBx by William Curtis (who is by the TB Garnered), not sure about the mare but I think she was also a part-bred.

Woodfalls Inigo Jones -- by Dex out of a mare named either Khonioor Diamond (according to BE but I think that would be a misspelling of Kohinoor Diamond) or Tsars Diamond. Dex is of Dutch breeding and in the AES. The mare is said to be a TB but there is no name listed at Fontainebleau.

Some Day Soon -- ISH

Thanks for the photos!

I loved this one's name "Fence 6: Table de picque nique"

I was surprised by the cottage. Everything else is so natural & then this one brightly-colored show-jumpy colored fence.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Agree with JER, probably something to do with paperwork and nothing to do with 'professional "embarrassment"'. Not sure any of our top level eventers in the UK would be remotely ashamed of riding a TB! Anyway on the BE site, sires and dams are listed on their records so there's no covering up :-)

Interesting that Carl Bouckaert is riding Rampant Lion... I remember him as a NA horse - checked USEA and saw he was Wendy Lewis's. Any background on this?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

And - 4 horses with Heraldik - 3 in the first generation. I've probably missed the boat on this... but obviously someone did something right with that stallion.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Interesting that Carl Bouckaert is riding Rampant Lion... I remember him as a NA horse - checked USEA and saw he was Wendy Lewis's. Any background on this?
    Carl is based in Georgia and bought him from Wendy some years ago. He's a beautiful horse!

More from the BBC correspondent: Britain dominate in Euro eventing

At the lower right of the main article, there's a list of links to more news about the competition.

And there's more good writing to look forward to this weekend because the Times' chief sportswriter, Simon Barnes, is there in Fontainebleau. Barnes is a very passionate horseman as well as a wonderful writer.

Simon Barnes: Piggy might fly in the enchanted forest

(And Janeway, thank you for the thank you -- always nice to be appreciated. )

Default Great thread! Thanks to H&H for the photos!

I agree with RO that the cottage looks a little bright for the forest, but it looks like a good course. There seem to be a lot of skinnies tho. Anyone whose french is better than mine know what Gue is? And I couldn't exactly get the point of I think fence 7, a corner to be sure, but it looked like the alternative route was to jump it backwards?
    Another killer of threads

Default XC live results

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    And - 4 horses with Heraldik - 3 in the first generation. I've probably missed the boat on this... but obviously someone did something right with that stallion.
    Proving I have no life, am watching live score results. With 4 finished, Michael Jung on the Stan the Man xx - Heraldik xx La Biosthetique Sam FBW went double clear & currently leads (45.0) and Nicola Wilson/Oppositon Buzz did same & standing 2nd (56.7).
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Looks a tough course, I like that there are plenty of alternatives though at the skinnies.

WHat happened w/I've Been Dun (IRL)?
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com