The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Dressage Girth for the Draft Type

I am on the hunt for a new girth for Cody. I ride him in an extra wide gullet Wintec Isabell. The saddle does have a tendency to slip side to side a bit and I don't want to have the girth so tight he can't breathe just to keep the saddle from moving. It does not move forward or back so a fore girth won't help this. He has that flat wide back with a powerful shoulder. He does have a wither.

Buying another saddle is out right now.

He needs a size 36" girth.

Just wanted to know what brand the rest of you use with your draft types.
    Last edited by JMurray; Sep. 25, 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of Isabell
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

I have a county logic for my BelgianX. She has huge shoulders, but with the logic I can set the saddle farther back and the girth is still where its supposed to be. Theres a 36" on ebay for $195 from Pelham Saddlery.

I'm not going to be much help because I have no idea where to buy one or what brand it is but...
    I got a wonderful leather dressage girth size 35/36 that is nice and wide in the center. Kind of what I associate with jumper girths but not that wide. I was very lucky and stumbled upon it as a used tack sale.

I have had good luck with the albion ultima girth they make it in a 34. And no nun finer makes the same girth for a much better price. Also you may if you do not use one already is try a no slip pad under the saddle pad..

Things that may help stabilise your saddle are (with dressage saddles) having as long a girth as possible, that way they grip better. Second thing you can do is buy a roll of the anti-slip material that they use in boats to cover tables etc. It isn't expensive. You put it between the horse's back and the saddle. It should help with keeping that saddle in one place for you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW...Non-Slip...QQcmdZViewItem

Default Slippage Help

I cannot really help with the girth, but I do know that thinline pads really help with saddle slippage. The pads are reasonable priced, and really work well in my experience. They do have a dressage girth that is non-slip as well, but it only goes up to size 34 and I am not sure if that big enough.

I have a Shire/TB cross and a Chunky Round Friesian and they both go really well in the professional choice girth. I don't know if you specifically want a leather one because this one is synthetic. They make off brands too that are similar and might come in bigger sizes. The inside of the girth is microbial and you can unvelcro it to throw it in the wash and it has a tacky surface that grips without having to overtighten. I am guessing that most neoprine girths have about the same affect.
    My DraftX could kick your Dutch Warmbloods BUTT!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am fine with synthetic or leather, it is the fit that counts.

I do use the non slip pads but doesn't help much with the side to side movement.

I think I will try the Professional choice first as I can try it and return it if it doesn't work. I know my tack shop carries those. SouthernComfortMax, just by hearing the brees of your horses this might work for mine.

I will report back!
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

We use stubben dressage girths - I like them because the buckles are covered.

The Montana Cincha mohair dressage (or endurance) girths are awesome, and you can get custom lengths if you need it.

http://www.thedistancedepot.com/Mont...irths_s/62.htm

The best I found for a witherless, cylindrical Perchie.