The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Some sort of paste to help colic

I remember awhile back in a thread seeing that some people mentioned a certain medicine/remedy that was available in a paste that came in a tube...sort of like a dewormer. It was to help a horse who was having a bout of colic.

I can't for a the life of me remember what the product was called. I think it was available through a vet supply website perhaps.

If anyone has a clue as to what I'm talking about and can give me a link to this product I would appreciate it.

Banamine is what you are thinking about http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...eiq_id=8401377

Banamine?

Equi-Spaz? Lots of people swear by it for those little gas colic episodes. No prescription needed.
    Cindy

I use Pro-Bios, it is in a tube like wormer. Works great for bouts of colic.

I believe it might be Equi-spaz.

It's not banamine. Although I always have that on hand.

We have used DSS, which is a form of stool softener, administered orally. Our Vet does not use any mineral oil for colics any more. She said studies have shown the oil causes MORE problems by making the fecal material stick together harder, instead of breaking fecal material up to come out. She went to DSS treatment after attending the National Vet confrences, seeing and hearing the good results with it from other Vets.

Our DSS mixed with a lot of water, looked like dishwashing soap, tubed down the nostril. It was administered VERY EARLY in the colic, along with Banamine for the pain. We think it helped the horse, though results were not immediate. Took about 12-14 hours to work thru her, cleaning her out. We did some walking, put her in a clean paddock outside to observe, she could walk herself or lay down. She was not rolling, to cause problems. Being a clean paddock, we could tell if horse had pooped or not while unobserved. If the Princess horse is not right, you KNOW it very early in the colic, thank you! You get things fixed for her RIGHT NOW, so it doesn't get really bad. On any other horse you probably wouldn't have anything TO NOTICE yet.

Can't remember what the DSS means chemically. Worked for us. Grateful to have it available!!

emergency 911 by macintosh proline... used for horses who are colicing, it does have specific circumstances but we used it on my boy (if you read the post i have he has coliced multiple times) .

www.mcintoshproline.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    I remember awhile back in a thread seeing that some people mentioned a certain medicine/remedy that was available in a paste that came in a tube...sort of like a dewormer. It was to help a horse who was having a bout of colic.

I can't for a the life of me remember what the product was called. I think it was available through a vet supply website perhaps.

If anyone has a clue as to what I'm talking about and can give me a link to this product I would appreciate it.
    Equi-Spaz by Saratoga Horse products...works great! saved me from calling the vet many a times

STAY AWAY FROM EQUI-SPAZ
    has anyone had any expereince with this? i always kept a tube on hand as a just in case matter. my neighbors horse was having a mild colic and i gave her the tube. she gave it to him and he immediatly went into a seizure like fit. he fell and got himself cast up in his stall. she screamed (i was taking a lesson) and we went right over. he looked fine and we were able to get him up and walking. vet came out and he just ate too much hay (this is the reason i stay away from round bales) he had a lot of poop but it was good looking (is there really such a thing, lol) the vet said that she has had several calls that she went out on where the same exact response happened with the equi-spaz. the horse is fine now and doing fine. here is a list of ingredients i got from thier website

Pancreatic Enzyme E, Protease 25 USP Units/mg
    Lypase 2 USP Units/mg, Amylase 25 USP Unites/mg
    Choline, Cianocobalamine, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin
    Calcium, Iron, Amino Acids: Leucine, Valine, Isoleucine
    Threonine, Phenylalanine, Lisine, Methionine, Tryptophan
    Piridoxine, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, PABA, Inositol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Equi-spaz is great, I've used it several times. It is like Di-gel or Gas-X for horses. You give one tube and wait 15-30 min, give a second tube if necessary. If that doesn't fix it, then it's something more serious and you should get your vet in. Equi-spaz doesn't mask any symptoms so your vet can still treat as they need.

jan

I've never heard of Equi-Spaz. Why would you use it over Buscopan?

Quote Originally Posted by sansibar View Post
    emergency 911 by macintosh proline... used for horses who are colicing, it does have specific circumstances but we used it on my boy (if you read the post i have he has coliced multiple times) .

www.mcintoshproline.com
    This is what we keep on hand, along with bute and banamine.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Mineral oil makes manure stick together?

Its purpose isn't to break up manure, it's to help things slide along.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Mineral oil makes manure stick together?

Its purpose isn't to break up manure, it's to help things slide along.
    Going with what the Vet told me was shown in studies quoted at that AAEP meeting several years ago.

Maybe with better tools, the people studying the problems can see issues not considered by "older treatment methods" because they had some success with what they used, like mineral oil for colic. There might be changes in the body, where mineral oil just gums things up, and a big blockage is held together with sticky mineral oil. And while we think the oil is "slippery", it may not work as slippery inside the animal.

Stool softener method from the front end of horse, breaks apart the mass of blockage, so it can move on down the digestive tract. Think of TV commercials with drain cleaning products eating thru the clogged mess to open the pipe with flowing water power behind it!

On my trainer's recommendation, I gave Fastrack paste to one who was acting a little colicy. Did the trick. I am now thinking I will try this first on a mild case, before going to banamine.

Comments anyone?
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Equi Spaz by Saratoga Horse products works great....i have given it to several different horses and it has saved me from calling the vet many times it also doesnt' hurt to give a tube of fastrack or probios along w/ electrolytes.....highly recommend keeping Equi Spaz on hand

I thought the only problem with mineral oil was if administered straight it can get into the lungs because it has no taste so horse ( or cat or dog) might breathe it in rather than swallow.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    We have used DSS, which is a form of stool softener, administered orally. Our Vet does not use any mineral oil for colics any more. She said studies have shown the oil causes MORE problems by making the fecal material stick together harder, instead of breaking fecal material up to come out. She went to DSS treatment after attending the National Vet confrences, seeing and hearing the good results with it from other Vets.

Our DSS mixed with a lot of water, looked like dishwashing soap, tubed down the nostril. It was administered VERY EARLY in the colic, along with Banamine for the pain. We think it helped the horse, though results were not immediate. Took about 12-14 hours to work thru her, cleaning her out. We did some walking, put her in a clean paddock outside to observe, she could walk herself or lay down. She was not rolling, to cause problems. Being a clean paddock, we could tell if horse had pooped or not while unobserved. If the Princess horse is not right, you KNOW it very early in the colic, thank you! You get things fixed for her RIGHT NOW, so it doesn't get really bad. On any other horse you probably wouldn't have anything TO NOTICE yet.

Can't remember what the DSS means chemically. Worked for us. Grateful to have it available!!
    thanks for posting this! i didn't know about the mineral oil and like to keep up to date and informed!
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

are you thinking of Biosponge?