The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding/Eventing near Jackson, MS???

There's a good possibility that my husband will be taking a job in Jackson, and I am curious about the eventing scene/ barns/ trainers around that area.

I haven't seen anything on our area website for MS. I worry first about where I would board. (While I should be worrying about neighborhoods and school systems. ) I'd be willing to drive a little. I currently drive 45 minutes to my barn.

I did see a website for MS combined training assoc., and it looks like the closest rec. event would be Holly Hill. Anyone been there? It looks really nice.

TIA for any info or suggestions.

Bump!

Please someone tell me I'm not entering a land void of eventers!

Edited to add:
    Okay, I just found the list of board members (with contacts) for the MS eventing and dressage assoc. Feeling a little better now. That should be a good place to start. I would still love to hear from any of you.

It's also not certain that we are relocating, so I really should quit stressing!
    Last edited by SweetieG; Sep. 27, 2009 at 09:44 AM.

I'm a Fellow Mississippian! However I now live in Starkville. Moved here about 1 year ago to go to graduate school at MSU. There is not a lot that I am aware of in Jackson, MS. I train with Betsy Ball...she is a 1* rider on the verge of moving up to Intermediate. She is based out of Starkville, MS (which is a haul from Jackson about 2 hours). The closest event for us is Chattahoochee...it is about 4.5 hours. Holly Hill is around 5, Poplar is around 6, Pine Top 7, and Aiken 8. I know if you move 2 hours is a long ways to travel, but she always has her trainer down for clinics. She rides with Stephie Baer and she is down about 4 or 5 times during the year. So you could defiantly haul for a clinic if you would like. We frequently go to Jackson for a few dressage and hunter shows. Let me know if you need anymore information!

Red Brick Farm is located in Jackson, MS
    No trainer, but Pony Club scene and a small sampling of XC jumps up to training. Pony Club scene usually has clinicians out or goes to clinics occasionally. I know there are at least 2 eventers boarding out there. Lots of trails and good turnout.

Blue Ribbon and Brandywine are out near Gluckstadt.
    Primarily hunter/jumper farms but Brandywine takes anything.

I would not recommend Reunion Farm in Madison for an eventer. They are primarily western and are not designed to meet your needs very well...

There are a few others that are H/J barns...but I hate to say you might be entering a land devoid of eventers!

Starkville is good and I like Betsy Ball. We evented Holly Hill and Poplar when I lived in MS and Louisiana is pretty close and might have some HTs going again now.

Please PM me and I will be happy to give you further details on any barns/trainers. I boarded at Red Brick forever before going to college (currently a Sophomore at Auburn) and still go visit my friends there I have also trained at Brandywine.