The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default One little alfalfa cube question

I feel like there are a million posts on this, but I just want to check.

Regarding alfalfa cubes SOAKED
    How much is TOO much to give at one feeding?
    My horse really likes them and he is getting that instead of grain. And 1.5lbs puffs up to a lot! I know their stomachs are small, but I figure its hay, just with water.
    He enjoys them thoroughly, but he doesn't wolf it down in huge mouthfuls. Nor does he pick at them and come back and pick some more.

Let me know, thanks!

I don't really know the answer to what your asking, I just started my horse (The RDC horse) on it last night, just a few cubes. My car smelled amazing after picking that stuff up, and I can't get enough of that slurping sound. Sorry - yeah that didn't answer your question at all, I just had alfalfa cubes on the brain.

I give my big mare two full scoops, the 5qt kind, and then add water. I *think* it's about 8lb dry weight. She is a decently slow eater. I have fed them in more quantity than that to her when she was lactating and dropping weight. She is IR and has no issues with the large quantity. She seems to eat it less slowly than she would a nice flake of alfalfa or peanut hay.

I feed my 2 mares a bucket (about 10 pounds) in one heap (dry).

My mare used to get 5 lbs of dry alfafa cubes, which ended up being a full 8 quart bucket (the smaller buckets, not the bigger ones a lot of folks use in stalls for water). I didn't soak them HEAVILY, just wetted them down slightly as my mare didn't like them totally soaked. She ate them all in one sitting and I never had any problems.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I supplemented with tim/alf cubes last winter. We did 1.5 lbs soaked, mixed with his grain. I think you can do alot more. It's forage.

Follow the label instruction. I believe our label recommends 10 pounds, and also gives a ratio to the horses body weight.

I can't imagine you can over feed them, however, they will ferment in the bottom of the feed tub, so you hae to keep things clean.

Oh thanks a lot! Very helpful! I have never done the cube route and I'm just not familiar with it. And I am REALLY paranoid about choke. But I think since it's wet it would be very unlikely right?
    My horse eats it soupy- so that's how I give it. I don't like it too watery, but it's wet enough so that I can press down and the water pools.

I might start adding some grain mix too it if his weight changes, but it's not a grain, more of a fiber/fat pellet.

Thanks again!

I let them soak THOROUGHLY (so it's soupy and they are soft all the way through) after having two horses choke badly on them on two seperate occasions. Once before I soaked them, once after I soaked them but didn't let it sit long enough and the inside of one was still hard. I know some people feed them dry, like people do with pellets, but after dealing with choke THREE times (twice with alf cubes, once with pellets) I will never, ever not soak the stuff again.

I fill a 5 gallon bucket w/ alfalfa cubes and beep together, layered then water til it's at the point I can still carry up my big honkin' hill. Half goes to three adults and the rest goes to seven ponies and youngsters. They seem to enjoy it and it takes them awhile to eat it all.

Since you're soaking you should be fine as far as choke goes.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hearts View Post
    I let them soak THOROUGHLY (so it's soupy and they are soft all the way through) after having two horses choke badly on them on two seperate occasions. Once before I soaked them, once after I soaked them but didn't let it sit long enough and the inside of one was still hard. I know some people feed them dry, like people do with pellets, but after dealing with choke THREE times (twice with alf cubes, once with pellets) I will never, ever not soak the stuff again.
    Oh yilkes that must have been a nightmare! I I have been feeding him separately now, but today I'm going to tell the manager to start changing his feed up. And I am going to be SUPER adamant that the darned things are soaked. Because they feed unsoaked ones on top of other horses grain- they will give them like 5-6 just sitting on the grain.

But thanks again all, very helpful and I appreciate it!