The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Conditioner for Mane & Tail

I have a rescued Paso Fino mare with super thick long mane past her shoulders, tail touches the ground and forelock to her nose. She was a body score of 1 with nasty wormy hair when I got her in April. Her coat is really nice now but her mane and tail are dry. She gets all kinds of goodie food. What do you suggest?

Healthy Haircare moisturizer. It's the pink stuff that you mix with water.

For detangling, I still love my Pink. But for pure conditioning of dry hair, the Healthy Haircare works well.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Someone on this board mentioned once before to mix Show Sheen with Infusium 23 Leave In. I mix it with Vetrolin Shine and can't believe how well it works. My guy's tail has always been long and thick, but the new pony has a "scraggly" tail. This mixture really softened and thickened it. I am amazed. I actually had to trim it the other day. And its only been two months. I spray it on everyday, really soak it through and use my finger pads to massage it into the base of the tail. I never brush or comb it- maybe help "lay it down" with a dandy brush. Every other week, I wash it clean and start the process all over.

Infusium 23 Leave In Conditioner - from the hair care aisle in Wal-Mart
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Infusium is great. You can buy a generic infusium at Sally's Beauty Supply for less money.

DITTO- Healthy Haircare Moisturizer- it has lanolin and it's great plus it helps your hands stay soft, as well.

Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer and/or Eqyss Survivor.

I use human conditioner for dry hair. Leave in a for a few mins, and then rinse.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

For weekly mane and tail washing, I use Eqyss Premier Creme Rinse [shampoo, apply over shampoo, leave in for 5 minutes, then rinse]

For daily care, I bought some fabulous Epona Conditioner. I put about 1 - 1.5 ounces into a spray bottle full of water. Shake well and you're good to go. It keeps the hair soft and shiny and detangled without the drying effects of ShowSheen or the sticky dullness of other moisturizers I've tried.
    Rebel Without Cash!

So far the best I have found (and I have tried many) is by Cowboy Magic. I will have to go look at the name later in the barn since they make a lot of products. I really like this recent one I tried though...........

Vetrolin conditioning gel.
    I used it on a horse right out of the pasture and when they saw him again, they really thought I was holding another horse.

Thanks for all the great suggests!!!!!! She's the only one out of 7 that has balanced mane and tail. Some have great manes and yuk tails and great tails and yuk manes. Now I can try different products on all of them and see which works best, this will be a science project, oh boy!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Do you dilute it or put it on straight?

Straight from the bottle Smells great!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thanks! I'm looking to cut costs by using these types of products vs the more expensive "horsey" one's I've used in the past.

I use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner on my horse's mane and tail. His mane is only average length and thickness, but his tail is incredibly long, thick and wavy. Using this stuff made his hair soft and easy to manage, without attracting dirt like some other stuff I tried. I was actually able to comb the "dreads" out of his tail with relative ease, and his mane felt a lot less dry.

I don't like Infusium, Show Sheen, or Cowboy Magic because of the silicones in them. I'm hoping to try Healthy Haircare Moisturizer some time, though - it seems to have such a devoted following! In the meantime, I'm sticking with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Besides, it's cheap!

i use shapley's hi shine shampoo on the whole body. i also use the vetrolin conditioner on the tail. after shampooing let the condtioner sit in the main/tail for a good 5-10 minutes then rinse. after that i spray in canter conditioning spray. i spray romeo's tail with this every other time i go to the barn. i usually ride about 4 times a week. his tail is thick and easy to brush out when i do brush it (with a stiff brush-not an actual brush)
    be kind to your horses mouth!