The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MI horse rescue closing -WTF is wrong with people!!!

Just saw a teaser segment for the 5:00 news on channel 4 out of Detroit saying that a rescue is closing and possibly dozens of horses are in peril. Anybody know which one it is? The Horses Haven site says that it is not them. I am surprised that any rescues are making it in this area right now, very sad .

UPDATE - I Googled until I came up with the answer. A woman in White Lk has 37 horses at her "rescue" and only works part time at a local K-Mart to support them ! She claims a divorce is the reason for the foreclosure on her farm ($3400 monthly payment!). This woman is in lala land and her horses are going to pay the price.
    Last edited by appaloosalady; Sep. 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added info
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

bump w/ update in OP
    Proud Closet Canterer!

A friend of mine knows this person and she is not "in lala land". This is another one of those situations that has been at least partially caused by our bad economy. I know of other details that lead to the present situation but I will not share them on a public forum.

Perhaps an offer to help her in some way would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Singer View Post
    A friend of mine knows this person and she is not "in lala land". This is another one of those situations that has been at least partially caused by our bad economy. I know of other details that lead to the present situation but I will not share them on a public forum.

Perhaps an offer to help her in some way would be better?

Sorry, but having 37 horses on your farm on the day it is due to be foreclosed on is living "in lala land" as far as I'm concerned. When did she accept her last horse? Was it before she began to have any problems? I'm sorry if she is the victim of divorce and the economy, but she should have been more proactive in her attempts to place the horses instead of waiting until the last minute and hoping that people will bail her out. I'm basing my opinion on a story in the Detroit News and if it was full of lies then I apologize. As far as helping out goes, I already have 2 horses on my farm that I am keeping (at my expense) for people who have lost houses and didn't have anywhere for their horses to go - my charity fund is tapped out .
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Epic fail.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I don't think the news story was full of lies but I know they didn't report all of the details. I saw the news story also and I can understand your way of thinking based on that story.

Is this a REAL rescue or simply a private citizen with a lot of horses?

The latter my dear Jessica.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The Equine Star Foundation, 501(c)3

Singer, nice of you to defend this friend of a friend, but I'm with the others.

Regardless of her financial hardships she knew her home was being foreclosed, and yet did nothing about finding new situations for these horses. Why?

Just because she has a 501(c)3 doesn't mean she ran a good rescue. We have far too many bad ones out there, and they're all going belly up in this tanked economy.

No, I'm not going to 'donate' anything to her, because that only rewards her bad behaviour.

Besides, I know my financial limits, which is why I only have a minimal number of animals, and I work full-time, not part-time!
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

There's more to it though. These rescue horses were part of her horse business and activities on the side. There's nothing wrong with that so long as you're sensible about it but this looks like one of those cases where everything she had going on was interdependent and when one key factor changed, the whole shebang fell apart.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    There's more to it though. These rescue horses were part of her horse business and activities on the side. There's nothing wrong with that so long as you're sensible about it but this looks like one of those cases where everything she had going on was interdependent and when one key factor changed, the whole shebang fell apart.

But foreclosures take awhile....you don't miss a payment and the next month you're foreclosed. Didn't she know months ago that it was a possibility? Very sad.

Generally, it takes about three months to get to that point in the state of Michigan but it can happen much sooner if things fall into place.

Ok, so the horse rescue person was dumb....now the horses have to suffer?? Is there a web site? (ok, I'll go look.....)

So would it have been better if the title said "Rescue sending horses to auction due to pending foreclosure" I live in Oregon, so have not seen the news story, nor do I know the person or people involved- but what i think people may forget, is that it is darn tough to give away a horse right now, and maybe she tried for months to give them away, and no one wanted them. I doubt it would help her non profit status or reputation if people thought she was rescueing horses so she could send them all to the auction...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...escue-for-farm

I think this article is about the rescue in question?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...escue-for-farm

I think this article is about the rescue in question?
    Yes, that is the one. Video can be seen at clickondetroit.com
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Uh - excuse me?

She wants people to donate money to her nonprofit so she can use the money to save her PRIVATE RESIDENCE?

I know nothing about the story other than what was in the clip and in that story, but JSwan, perhaps she leases the property to the rescue for some pittance like $1/year?

The story said she took in 13 horses from some lady in the story who also was foreclosed on. That was recently per the story and had to hurt financially. Several foals shown as well- people breeding horses they can not afford to care for and then dump on a rescue, maybe?

No matter how you slice it, the horses pay.

Well just don't call anyone and impersonate being part of the rescue.
    Again.
    Let the locals in that area work things out, sounds like they have the press and a fundraiser behind them.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte