The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Pad Slippage - What to Do?

I'm having a problem with my saddle pads slipping out the back of my saddle. Doesn't matter what type - my wool felt western pad, waffle pads, a/p pads, they all slip. I'll be riding down the trail and within an hour I'm getting off and readjusting. Or after a flat school, my pad has slid back that it only stays in place because of the girth loops. Is this a saddle fit issue or something else? I ride in a Dover Circuit Elite and a K&S Saddlery wade tree and it happens with both. I'm wondering if one of those "tacky" pads would work.

Thanks for any input.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I've never had saddle pads slip like that. They've slipped a little, but never enough to pop out the back of the saddle.

I'm thinking it's saddle fit, because even if the girth is looser than it should be, the pad shouldn't slip that much.

Mine usually stay right in place, even if I don't use the girth/billet loops.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I would say your saddle doesn't fit totally correctly. When my saddle stopped fitting, my pads started slipping. Bought a saddle that fits, and my pads stay perfectly in place and I never use girth loops or billet straps.

Another vote for saddle fit. I'm guessing that the tree is too narrow, so it is bridging.

You could try a wet Chamois under the pad, but that might just be masking a poor saddle fit.

I've only had this happen to me with an ill fitting saddle...

I used to have trouble with my pads bunching up until I learned to ride better. . .
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    I used to have trouble with my pads bunching up until I learned to ride better. . .
    Ha! good answer! Every problem is not due to saddle fit

Unbalanced rider, crooked horse needing a chiropractor, and ill fitting saddle are the reasons this happens. I'd start doing some detective work.

I agree with the saddle fitting and unbalanced rider could be causing the problem. You could try one of the non-slip pads for now, but definately look into getting a saddle fit and finding out if it's your riding that's causing the problem

I don't think it's my riding as I have no trouble with this on my other horse. I am leaning toward saddle fit. I am looking for a new saddle as we speak because I know my english is a little too narrow but seeing how I'm unemployed and only bringing in unemployment, a new/different saddle is a while out. Anything to suggest in the meantime?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

We use a double pad under the western saddle, and clean fleece pads slip. I have put a piece of the rubberized shelf liner stuff, has holes, between the layers. The rubbery material holds both layers and we have no slipping pad problems now.

Daughter tells me the fleece show pad is too clean, no grip on the wool blanket! And I didn't even use fabric softener in the washer or dryer.