The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another itchy dog thread - cause known, need suggestions!

I have a Min Pin who is terribly itchy -- due to dry skin. She doesn't get over-bathed, just regularly brushed. She's currently on Temeril P (?) which helps a ton but is not a long term solution.

I'm curious if there's any "feed thru" products that would help with the dry skin. She's on sensitive stomach food and I'm afraid to change it to a sensitive skin food in case it messes up her lil' tummy. If a food switch is the best idea, can someone tell me if a sensitive skin formula would upset her delicate tummy?

So many questions!

How about a fatty acid supplement? Omega 3-6-9? You can pick one up at your local grocery store or Sams Club, or feed a dog specific product like this stuff: http://www.californianaturalpet.com/...lt.asp?id=1607

If you're looking to switch food, California Natural is a GREAT product for those sensitive, itchy dogs: http://www.californianaturalpet.com/default.asp

Fish Oil from Walmart has worked as well as DermCaps for my dogs. Oh, and licking the horse's feed tubs clean of their oils and fat supplements

Mine get a couple of fish oil capsules every day. They love them, and all have great coats.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

My dog has a delicate stomach and tends to be itchy due to seasonal allergies. She currently eats an allergy kibble which has not (knock wood) bothered her delicate stomach yet, and takes DermCaps, which she adores and which have also not bothered her stomach.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

My little lab mix was on DermCaps when we first got him—he had all sorts of issues and was an itchy little boy. Gradually as he got onto a better food (California Natural lamb and rice) and became healthier overall, we phased out the DermCaps and he has done just fine. But they did seem to help him.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been looking at some of the foods that were suggested to me here and via PM and will lok into the DermCaps too.

I had great luck switching an itchy sensitive dog to Orijen kibble, and I added a probiotic supplement and her tummy settled right down.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

I had a dog with dry skin that did great on Avo-derm. He got fat as a little pig, but his skin was great.

We adopted a 9 year old Shih Tzu from the SPCA last October. He's just the happiest and loving little dog. Owner gave him up because of 'chronic fleas'. Poor boy just had untreated skin issues. He had two courses of prednisone, two Ivermectin shots, medicated shampoo and daily Derma Caps. It took some time, but now all he's on is the Derma Caps. We use the Avoderm shampoo that has an avocado oil base. It's terrific!

Orijen made a world of difference on the dry skin for my boy

Default Linatone

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    I have a Min Pin who is terribly itchy -- due to dry skin. She doesn't get over-bathed, just regularly brushed. She's currently on Temeril P (?) which helps a ton but is not a long term solution.

I'm curious if there's any "feed thru" products that would help with the dry skin. She's on sensitive stomach food and I'm afraid to change it to a sensitive skin food in case it messes up her lil' tummy. If a food switch is the best idea, can someone tell me if a sensitive skin formula would upset her delicate tummy?

So many questions!
    Linatone is an excellent oil to add to her food. My Cairn would have horrible itchiness every fall and once I put her on that and left her on it year round, she never had to visit the Vet again for her skin problem.
    It was a miracle.

Petco carries it.