The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Continental Studbook?

This is a new one to me - but definitely a registry with some interesting ideas. Looks like it was just started this summer? http://www.continentalstudbook.com/

Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? Is this one possible/plausable answer/method towards tracking proven performance bloodlines in the US in a central location vs seaching multiple registries etc?
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

Printed on every issue of papers are the USEF lifetime recording number, the Universal Equine Life Number (UELN, which we use as our registration number also), and also the mare family. We work closely with USEF to enter all information accurately. The USEF lifetime recording certificate is returned to you along with your papers when issued.

As described in other threads, not only does this save the mare owner work, but the recording is faster and more accurate when performed through the registry. The breeders will be able to get proper credit should their products do well in programs with breeder awards or futurities.

Also, our objective to track, analyze and publish results from domestic breeding to emphasize the accomplishments and breeding trends. In the future, there will be some very interesting tools deployed around this.

We have also worked with the Horse Telex site to set up Continental Studbook offspring in the Paardenfokken database. Starting very soon, every CS offspring will be accurately entered by us into the Paardenfokken database to put all of these quality North American horses among the international population. We will update the offspring data with sport results when they reach that age. We will also be entering information on domestic mare families. You can see the first example of this entry by searching for Cassie Zaffiro using the link below.

http://www.paardenfokken.nl/

Breeders will be able to use the excellent tools available on the website for hypo matings, sales listings, pedigree research, family research, offspring tracking, etc. Best of all, you do not have to spend any time entering the information and checking accuracy.

Continental Studbook
    www.continentalstudbook.com

Thumbs up BIG thumbs up!

For what it's worth, I had the opportunity to meet one of the founders of the CS last weekend and am thoroughly pleased with everything I am learning about the CS. I was impressed with the concept from the beginning and felt it was probably the best registry for my goals, which is to produce jumpers for sport regardless of political constraints of other registries. I also have found the customer service to be excellent, and the answers to questions both privately and on various threads to be rational, honest, and professional.

I very much appreciate the appeal of the other registries, especially having worked with the AHS previously and found them to be welcoming and helpful. That said, I have mares of a number of different "breeds", and like stallions who are similarly diverse. The practical and financial aspect of belonging to a different registry for every mare I breed is just unrealistic and unnecessarily time consuming.

I think the Continental Studbook offers a wonderful option for a lot of breeders, and one that people should be looking in to. It is well thought out, ambitious, well backed, and aims to elevate American breeding and breeders to the level of (sport) recognition and esteem that is deserved but not yet achieved.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Thanks JB!

I usually surf the COTH BB just about every day or at least every other day. But I was in the hospital the first week of May and wasn't able to access COTH at that time, so that's probably why I missed this extensive thread. Thanks for finding it for me!
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."