The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rotspon or Rascalino?

I am considering breeding to one of these stallions. My mare is tall and hot (W line), and I am hoping for a smaller foal. Do they throw similar in movement and temperament? Is one more sensitive than the other? Has anyone bred to both? If you did, which foal(s) did you like better?

I prefer Rascalino only on pure preference.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I would go with Rotspon. My filly is out of a Rotspon mare and her mother is the most laid back horse. (She's 16hh) The mare is the owners trail horse as well as her FEI dressage horse. Nothing phases her. My filly has gotten the dams temperment as well- nothing phases her and beautiful movement.

I read somewhere (I think there's a thread on the R line here somewhere) that they can not find a Rotspon mare for less than 50K in Germany. He's one of the best Rubenstein sons.

Well, I have had 3 Rascalino's and 2 Rotspon myself (obviously a fan). HOWEVER, If you are looking to downsize your mare, neither would be a good choice, I have seen some HUGE Rotspons, and Rascalinos are coming 3 (mine from a Donnerhall mare is also VERY tall).

Not because I am biased, but you might want to check out Belissimo M for temperament/ridability and a more "normal" size!

Linda
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Thanks everyone so far! So aside from size, is one a better mover than the other? Do they both produce a quiet temperament?

I have heard that Rotspon throws all over the board in regards to size. There is a VhW hanoverian stallion standing in the US as a pony sire..ie he is 14.2hh. Then I have heard of GIANT Rotspons. I think it depends alot on the size of the dam???

I saw both of them last week, Rascalino is much like his sire (I only saw them both in their stalls) but more refined forsure. Rascalino throws ALOT of white pretty consistantly...so not sure if that is your thing or not?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I've seen several sizes of Rotspons, but the pony stallion here is out of a small Walt Disney mare that was pretty much incapable of throwing size no matter who she was bred to. It helps to know your mareline.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Our barn has two Rascalino babies - full sibs out of a Londonderry mare. The youngest one, Rascaletta, just cleaned up as a yearling at Dressage at Devon. Her full sister (two year old - Rascalla) is very nice, too. Both horses are HUGE, though. HUGE. Rascalla has to be 16.3 as a late 2-year old, and Rascaletta has to be about 16 hands herself now. If you go to YouTube and look up Feygrrl's videos, you can see their free movement. Not too much white.

J.

I like them both. I wouldn't expect a particular size or lack thereof though. Both Rotspons and Rascalinos seem to come in all sizes although I think generally Rotspon seems to make them a tad smaller than average (always depending on the mareline of course).
    The Rascalinos we've had thus far are all perfect angels but none of them are under saddle yet. You want to make sure you have a hardy mare with enough spirit, strong soft tissue and you also want a good walk to be established. I would not expect any rideability problems or mental issues from either stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by HanoWB88 View Post
    Thanks everyone so far! So aside from size, is one a better mover than the other? Do they both produce a quiet temperament?
    Actually, the three Rotspon get I've known have all be quite small -- barely 16hh. All were o/o mares between 16-17 hhs.

Two were chestnut, one black.

All were mellow horses, but I only thought one was anything to get excited about. I suspect all those grand mares in Germany were out of pretty nice mares themselves.

I've bred & sold 2 Rotspons & have the same Walt Disney/Duellant mare bred back to Rotspon for 2009. I love my Rotspons. My Walt Disney broodmare is a BIG 16.2. Lots of bone with a great big butt & great, above the ground/round gaits. Both of the Rotspons were sold to good riders who continue to report back to me about their great temperments. Both are different than the other foals of mine. They just seem to take most of life in stride. Both are great movers. The colt though is very big. Will probably end up 17.2 or 17.3 but owner reports that he is so very balanced that he's actually an easy ride. The filly has turned out to be about 16.2 & her new owner, a wonderful FEI rider, says that she is the horse of a lifetime & has already won her first 4 yr old class with high scores, first time in the ring. I also heard what you have about the high prices for the Rotspons in Germany & that it's hard to buy one. By the way, both of mine ended up with some white. The filly has one tall stocking with large blaze while the great colt has 4 tall stockings, star, snip. Great looking & moving horses.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I like both stallions. Like with any stallion, the mare plays a part in the equation too. We've had quite a few Rotspons here over the years and all had the take everything in stride attitude as well. Very kind, intelligent and pretty horses with good conformation and definitely above average gaits (nice round movers too). All were of good size (16.1 hh to 16.3 hh) with the exception of one who ended up at 16.0 hh but this one was out of a smaller 16.0 hh mare.

I've had 3 Rotspons and 1 Rascalino.
    Rotspon:
    All were huge and big boned. All had great temperaments and were good movers. 2 of the 3 could have had better hind leg conformation. 2 were better movers than their dams and 1 was not as good a mover as the dam.

Rascalino:
    I love, love, love this colt! He's out of a super mare and I think he is better than his mother. His hind end is better than his dam's. He's going to be small (but so is his dam) and he's very refined and typey.

I have two weanlings by Rotspon. This was my first experience with frozen semen, and I was ecstatic with its quality.

I had a colt out of the 15.3 mare and a filly out of the 16.3 mare. Both have amazing temperaments; they basically taught themselves to lead. They can be caught in the field, handled, bathed, clipped, etc. I bathed them both for the first time by myself and had no problems. Both are equal in size at this point and I expect both of them to mature to the 16-17hh range. Both are beautiful movers, one is a better dressage prospect and one a better hunter mover but I think the dam influence is seen there.

Both are going to be grey although I was hoping for at least one bay. I've decided to keep both. Based on my experience, I would breed to Rostpon again and would recommend him.

I have a yearling by Rotspon who was born black, is now turning gray (very slowly) but his dam did the same, he is out of my Don Frederico/Matcho mare. He is relatively bombproof, just had a growth spurt and he looks awesome for a yearling right now, considering mine always get "yacky" looking. I thought that he would mature at 16.0 but now I think he will be more like 16.2. I happened to watch him in the field the other day and even I was impressed at what I saw, he is very easy to work with and always has been. His full brother from this year is much typier (more refined), bay and BEAUTIFUL (very pretty head)!! Also easy to work with. I purposely bred this mare to Rotspon because she is more on the hot side, I couldn't be happier with the combination (although I was surprised about the bay color, I have seen many bays by Rotspon but didn't think she'd produce it). I wouldn't be upset if one of them had to stay here for me to keep. I have seen many of his foals - all over the map for size. Typically, he throws 3 white feet and lots on the face, mine have much less chrome than the usual. His semen is amazing, my mare took on half a dose. I cannot speak for Rascalino but from what I have heard, he is another great choice.

I've seen Rotspon and he is not that big. Rascalino is a big boy but they are saying in Germany that the foals can vary in size, maybe because of the Rotspon blood? Not sure, but I bred to Rascalino as I loved him and his character. We had a super filly out of our Elite Dutch mare Miloma (Goodtimes x Dreamstreet). Dollyloma MG is black 4 white socks and a star. Power mover and was first premium at the KWPN keuring this year. We sold her right away. She is really socialable.

Kathy
    www.majesticgaits.com
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

I really like my Rotspon. She was called back as one of the top fillies at this year's Hanoverian inspection. But Doug Langer wasn't a very nice inspection site host -- his Fiedertanz filly got the nod. :-) (Kidding -- his filly was super!!!)

Ruzisa ("Rosie") is super easy to deal with. Learned to pick up her feet for the farrier easily, I can worm her without a halter, learned to lead quickly, is a very in-your-pocket baby...but polite about it. (I'll feel a little nuzzle or a soft touch, turn around and there she is, ready for her scratches.) Rotspon improved upon the mare's conformation and head, better trot, etc. And she has a lot of white (3 tall white socks and a blaze.)

I haven't seen any Rascallinos (so I can't say "yeah" or "nay" about him at all), but all the Rotpons I've ever met, I've really liked. Even went up to a rider at a show who was on a stunning black Hanoverian and had to ask the bloodlines -- turns out it was a Rotspon. He mentioned the horse was one of the easiest he's ever had to break/work with. And for me, ever since seeing Rotspon in Germany, I've been waiting until I had a mare that I felt would be a good match.

Check my website for a photo of her at the inspection. Really shows her movement. Very excited about her; hence, she's not for sale.

Good luck with your decision. I think either way, you'll get a nice, rideable horse!
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

My 4 year old mare is out of Rotspon. She's dark bay with a white blaze on the face and two white stockings on the hind legs, and is about 16hh. And super mind! My first experience with Rotspon and I'm very pleased with the mind and quality of mare! From what I understand of the Rubinstein line, is that they are known to have great minds, temperment and ridability.

Rascalino is a big boy but they are saying in Germany that the foals can vary in size, maybe because of the Rotspon blood?

How do you mean big...as in body?? In all honesty he didn't look big to me at all, much more refined than his sire and probably only around 16.1 or so??
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

The temperament of the Rascalino's is amazing. I have met many Rascalino youngsters and the one consistent thing is their easy going temperament. Height can definitely vary with them, as I have seen large and small.

I would not really consider him a consistant stallion on anything but temperament. My Rascalino filly this year is pretty much ALL her mother, just with more white. I'm perfectly happy as I love her mother and the filly is the USDF HOY for Weanling Fillies, but it is important to keep in mind.
    Linda
    Home of EM Day Dream, SPS Pakesa, & SPS Destiny
    Breeders of USDF HOY Reminisce HM and USDF Reserve HOY Legacy HM
    http://wbstallions.net/hof-mendenhall/