The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default foal with bad feet - ideas

I have a filly with horrible feet - all four white and badly cracked. My farrier has been out four times in the last two weeks working on her, but I'm not sure what the next best step is. She can't afford to lose any more foot and I'm afraid this is going to affect her confo if I don't get it under control.

Options are either glue on shoes of some sort, boots, or bandaging constantly with pads.

Yesterday we tried sole guard, but it already fell off one foot and she is extremely sore on both.

If I go with the boots option I need ideas on what brand would be safest and small enough for her.

If we stick with bandaging I've got to find some kind of padding that is effective, durable and light weight. I used a diaper this morning, but she was still sore.

If I go with shoes does anyone have experience with a good adhesive? The only other time I used glue ons on a foal they kept falling off, but that was 10 years ago.

She is on farriers formula, but we need an immediate fix.

She is a feb tb filly, 6th foal, all the rest had good feet and the mare's are decent.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My Ferrier loves glue ons in that situation. He said they don't come off now. Much better then before. You can also have your ferrier show you a vetwrap - duct tape procedure that you can get to last at least a couple of days between replacements. You just add a layer a day. After about 4 days you need to start over, but it dramatically slows down the wear.

I use equipride instead of ferriers formula. Switched to it a couple of years ago. Horses that didn't respond to ferriers form. responded to this. It is also a lot cheaper. Also, paint the feet twice a weak with hoof heal, including the coranary band. Its the pinkish looking bottle. It helps a lot with hoof moisture balance without using sealants.

Good Luck

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    I have a filly with horrible feet - all four white and badly cracked. My farrier has been out four times in the last two weeks working on her, but I'm not sure what the next best step is. She can't afford to lose any more foot and I'm afraid this is going to affect her confo if I don't get it under control.
    well one would have to know what was causing it to know how to help it...is it water damage or rocks ? being as young as she is,did she abcess and it is now breaking off ?

I'd determine the cause and perhaps keep her up and well wrapped for a few weeks...but I have a well bedded covered-quasi- indoor so that's easy for me to say...harder for you to be able to do it

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Our farrier uses a woven kevlar type fabric and a glue bond over cracks with great success, which allow the wall to grow down without further splitting. If a horse is really footsore as well, maybe some sub-sole abcessing is going on.
    PM if you want more specifics.
    Good luck
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    Also, paint the feet twice a weak with hoof heal, including the coranary band. Its the pinkish looking bottle. It helps a lot with hoof moisture balance without using sealants.

Good Luck

Tim
    If you are considering glue-ons in the near future, DO NOT paint anything on the hoof walls. Any type of paint-on product will leave a residue that will affect the strength of the glue (especially something like Hoof Heal which is comprised of two types of oil and beeswax).

With that said, check out the Sigafoos glue ons. They are a shoe attached to a cuff that your farrier impregnates with glue and those stay on VERY well. All sizes including foal, weanling & yearling sizes. www.soundhorse.com

Wink

tarynls - good point.

I was assuming that if she weren't using glue ons. simple mistake, but causes considerable problems when gluing on shoes.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Shoes, glue ons, etc may help in the short term but you really need to get a handle on why her feet are so bad. Boots might work too but they will need to fit well and will have to be taken off for a few hours a day for her feet to air/dry out. Another excellent option is Equicast...and that would probably be my first choice on a young horse...but do NOT leave it on for more than a few weeks at a time at that age. It will restrict the hoof capsule expansion to some degree...that is a downside to the casts. The upside is that the casts can protect her hooves...walls and soles...while you figure out what is causing her trouble and will give her a chance to grow out a better hoof. The casts can often help with soreness also.

I don't buy that hooves being white are weak...that is a wive's tale...I trim lots of white feet that are excellent. I also don't buy the line that TB's all have genetically bad feet. I've seen and worked on way too many with beautiful feet to believe that; however, they do have a tendency to have a foot that gets long toed and low heeled fast if you let them.

On a horse of this age, there is almost certainly something else going on..diet, sugar/starch, feed intolerance, trim, balance, etc...to cause such poor hoof quality. Did her hooves get in bad shape all of a sudden or has it been an ongoing thing?
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; Sep. 17, 2009 at 10:46 PM.

We have used the soundhorse glue ons with great success, but never tried them on anything less than a three year old.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

IF you are looking at boots these are breatheable and wear much better than other brands:
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h..._content=39180

Default Daydream

Totally agree with your assessment.
    Quick fix on the outside..but the long term fix needs to be done on the inside.

This baby is lacking something nutritionally IMO. I'm a beliver of a healthy immune system to support a proper endocrine system, that therefor is a healthy environment for proper growth and development. A balancing act.

Where do you live...eliminate the environment factors, what impacts are immediately apparent (sandy soils, etc.), then eliminate what's LACKING in soil TYPES where you live.

Skin (including feet) are the first sign's to show a weak immune system. ALways the skin first since it's the largest organ in the body of mammals.

Best of luck and report back.

Is this foal out on a grass pasture (as all of mine are)? Is it very deep with grass (so feet stay damp), or by chance is she out in a sand pasture, so feet are dry, but wearing from the sand? Just trying to throw out suggestions as to the condition of the feet. I have never had anything like this in all my years of breeding.

I see some have suggested problems with nutrution. What does your vet think?

The only experience with feet like you describe was with a thoroughbred mare I was leasing and bred to my pony stallion. Her feet were HORRIBLE!!!! Tiny little feet that looked like some of the quarter horses that are shown in the model (I don't think that is the right word for Quarter Horses). We could not keep shoes on her, tried glue on's ......just a disaster. The only solution with her was to keep her stalled in the spring and summer when we get the most rain.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

A short term fix for sore feet is styrofoam pads. You can by them here: http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/edss.../lameprod.html, they are the extra thick blue styrofoam. You can also find blue styroafoam at a hardware store and cut it to size (much cheaper). Use lots of duct tape. It will help support the foot, and after her weight squishes down the pad, she should be immediately less sore.

FWIW the hoofsock includes 2 inserts: a pad that treatments can soak in (not an issue here) and a high density foam insert.....I mention that because of the above post. The sock is easier to apply over the foam pad than duct tape....coming from a former duct tape queen!
    It is also listed on Ebay. The ebay seller is also the guy that actually manufactures them....so that site has a little more info
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Horse-Hoof-Sock-...3286.m20.l1116
    FWIW a little background on the maker: he is a polo player that got tired of duct tape and wasn't happy with how hard the rubber boots were to get on and how quickly the other "sock" types wore out....so he started making his own improved version out of ballistic nylon.

thanks all for the ideas, I am for sure going to get blood drawn next time the vet is out to see if she's out of whack nutritionally. She and her dam are on the same diet as my other mares/foals and the same one I've used for years, but maybe she is metabolizing nutrients differently for some reason.

She's got a half sister with 4 whites who has awesome feet, so I'm really at a loss.

She is turned out in a pasture that is 3/4 lush grass and 1/4 dry lot. I have been trying to keep her out of the dry area as much as possible both to help preserve her duct tape boots and save her feet.

For those of you who have tried the above mentioned boots, did they hold up to turn out?

I will be talking to the farrier in the morning to see what he thinks.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    thanks all for the ideas, I am for sure going to get blood drawn next time the vet is out to see if she's out of whack nutritionally. She and her dam are on the same diet as my other mares/foals and the same one I've used for years, but maybe she is metabolizing nutrients differently for some reason.

She's got a half sister with 4 whites who has awesome feet, so I'm really at a loss.

She is turned out in a pasture that is 3/4 lush grass and 1/4 dry lot. I have been trying to keep her out of the dry area as much as possible both to help preserve her duct tape boots and save her feet.

For those of you who have tried the above mentioned boots, did they hold up to turn out?

I will be talking to the farrier in the morning to see what he thinks.

Thanks again.
    The boots held up for several weeks with grass turnout. I had a TB mare with mutiple abcesses that took forever to run their course, even with farrier help. I know some folks with racehorses with foot issues that used em and they help up quite well. If you had any concern about that I would order them directly from the mfg off ebay...I am sure his return policy would be better than the mail order site.

I've never used those boots she mentioned but the Easyboots (several varieties and much improved over the old style) and several others out there like Old Macs, Boas, Cavallos, etc... all hold up very well and stay on well if well fitted.

I find it odd that in both of your posts you mention the foal's white feet. And that her sister has white feet, but that she is fine. White feet are no more prone to cracking or damage than feet of any other color.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Yes Holly, I agree with what you said. I have lots of ponies with 4 white feet. No problem!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    I find it odd that in both of your posts you mention the foal's white feet. And that her sister has white feet, but that she is fine. White feet are no more prone to cracking or damage than feet of any other color.
    I agree here. Our 2 YO Paint colt was in the FEH class a couple weeks ago. The judge commented on his lovely feet (which was good) and that it was really impressive since he had 4 white feet......
    I just said thank you and let it go.....but even among judges that idea is still out there...

I think I am over sensitive as I just sold a yearling filly with four whites and over and over again people who looked at her commented on it. Funny thing was that she has the absolute BEST feet of any of the horses on the farm. I dont' have a problem with white feet, but many buyers at this particular sale did. So here I had a filly with excellent conformation (yes I'm biased, but I had others give me their unbiased opinion), tons of bone, good sized despite being a may foal, well balanced, etc and people are discounting her because she has white feet. ARGH.