The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Puppies, puppies, puppies

So I live out in the woods of SC. Anyone who has spent any time in SC knows that we have a wild dog problem. Well the other day I saw 2 dogs crossing my back yard with two puppies following them. A day or two later my husband calls me over to our neighbors house (a vacation home that we take care of). Sitting on the front porch are two puppies, NOT the two puppies I had seen the day before. We catch one and thanks to a friend find a home for it. We lost the other one in the time it took for it to eat and me to find a suitable carrier. The next day my husband is leaving for work and the original two wild dogs are trotting down our driveway with FIVE puppies. Good news is that the puppy we lost is with them. So I call my local animal control and they bring me a dog trap. He baits it and sets it, good thing he showed me how to reset it because I caught one of my dogs twice before she figured out she needed to leave it alone. Fast forward 4 days to Friday and no dog in sight all week.I am driving down my driveway and sitting in my driveway are 3 little puppies, get this, not even close to the 5 puppies we were trying to catch. They are from a totally different momma. This is where I would start my spay/neuter lecture but I don't think this audience needs it. I will say that when the second momma came looking for her puppies she had a collar on. I can guarantee those puppies had never been handled by a human. People suck.

It's so awful. I could never live down south, I'd have a million dogs. One of my dogs is from Texas and was born in a shelter and his mother and litter were going to be put to sleep because they were Pit Bulls and the shelter was overrun. The rescue I volunteer with pulled them all (and dad, but he died before getting here ) and I ended up keeping my foster puppy, and he is the BEST boy ever.

I out in the country in North Texas. I almost ran over "something" in the road about a mile from my house 6 weeks ago. As I got closer, I realized it was two puppies.

Brought two very dehydrated black lab boys home. Haven't had any luck placing them yet and I think they need to be together, soooo, we now have 5 house dogs. Thanks goodness Dexter and Remy are very good boys.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Not to sidetrack the OP here, but I am curious.

What is the problem with spay/neuter in the southern states?
    I am from New England, and we really do not have a similar problem.
    I am trying to be proactive, since SC will be my home soon, and I have ideas about why spay/neuter is succesful here in the ne, but wonder what it will take or why it is that having litters of puppies is considered acceptable by some.

Please, lets not get into a discussion of how its everywhere, because it really is not as bad in most areas of the country as it is in the south. So, how can it be changed?
    Gosh, I really am not the kind of person who moves somewhere and wants to change things to be like where I come from(man, I hate those types), but in this situation, I guess I am just like that type!

Another SCer here and I can totally relate. Sitting in my living room right now is a 5 month old that a friend found in the middle of the road, in the middle of a blind curve (from both directions) one monring about 4 months ago on her way to work. Luclily friend was more alert than she usually is at that time of the morning on her way to work or she would have squished her and her sister. Friend stopped and swooped them up and did not have time to go all the way back to her house to put them in her yard, plus her yard is fenced for her 90# doberman not 7#, 5 week old puppies. She dropped the pups off in my backyard and my mother gaves them some food and water. I re-homed one in about an hour (one of the girls at work was looking for a pup). Took them to the vet the next day for exam, shots and worming then delivered the one to friend from work. The other one still resides with us and will for the rest of her life. She was spayed two weeks ago and is the smartest pup I have come across. Was housebroken in a day, learned to sit and shake in a week and loves her crate even though she only has to go in there when we go out. SHe gets along great with the horses and is best friends with my dwarf. Oh and she already weighs 55# so she is gonna be a big one.

I think the problem of dogs running wild down south, moreso than up here in the north, might be a matter of local laws. My friend lives in the Florida panhandle and she says that they basically have no leash laws, at least where she lives. People believe it to be their right to let their dogs run loose, and by law, they can. As it was explained to me, she can only do something about the loose dogs if they they are on her property. Of course, dogs left to their own devices, especially unspayed and not neutered, will do as they see fit.

I am not sure why there seems to be even less "fixing" of dogs down south. Is it cultural, socio-economic? I just can't see why anyone would not fix their animal, especially if they're going to let them run wild. Don't get me wrong, we have overpopulation problems here too, but I don't see dogs running loose through the countryside...

Cats and kittens, I see them all the time.
    Last edited by ex-racer owner; Sep. 21, 2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added info

The problem itself is a serious one but I have to say I literally laughed out loud at the 'I caught one of my dogs twice' line. Sounds like something one of mine would do!

Two of my dogs are "Carolina Ditch Dogs". That's a breed down here.

One was found in the woods at 5 weeks old.
    My newest "Ditch Dog" was found right down the road from my farm. A litter of five puppies ran across the road at my truck. I pulled over, another guy stopped to help and we scooped them all into the bed of the truck.

They were about 6 weeks old, no houses nearby, no momma.
    We found homes for 4 of them (when they turned 10 weeks old), kept the scruffiest looking one. He's the BEST barn dog. The sweetest animal ever!! But he's Evil looking, which is great because my other 2 don't even wake up when someone walks in the house!!!

Don't know what it is down here, but strays are rampant. I get more loose dogs in the woods near me. People dump their dogs on my driveway because we have property so we must need another dog, right?

I think climate may be a major factor. A whole lot easier to make it through the winter when there isn't much of one.

New England has a much better spay/neuter program in place - but in addition to that, there is not near the temps in the winter in the south that we have in the north-so the dogs estrus cycle in year round - where in NE they take a break in the summer.

That's what a rescuer told me anyway.

I really wish they would do something to educate people, and make spay/neuter options more available.

Default Culture shock!

We are transplants from NY to a farm outside of Ocala, FL. We are responsible dog owners, 3 Dobermans. We fenced 19 acres with no climb and installed a gate on the front entrance. We have been innandated with dogs digging under or climbing over our fencing. When we got a new bitch puppy and were evaluating her for the show ring, I couldn't walk her off leash or let her out when she was in season. I had dogs coming from all around to try and breed her. Just forget about people neutering male dogs around here. We at least have animal control but no leash laws. The police will tell you that you can shoot your neighbor's dog if it's on your property. That sure would make for good neighbor relationships. OTOH, if you tell the neighbor that their dog is becoming a nuisance to you they will just roll their eyes and say that they can't do anything about the dog. Dogs that live outside in a small property (or any property) will find ways to get out and become a problem. I have no problem keeping my dogs inside our fencing. They live in the house and do not go out unsupervised. I know where they are at all times. They get training and they get walked around the property twice a day with their human companions. I have no doubt that some neighbor would shoot them if they were roaming the neighborhood.

We have a crazy neighbor who has two dog aggressive Boxers. She thought that she would just hook up her fence to ours and that it was OK if her dogs fence fought with mine. My husband put up extensive privacy fence to prevent this and had to bury barbed wire under the fence to prevent her dogs from digging in and jumping our dogs. We went to court over this and even though the judge fined her and threatened escalating fines, she did nothing to stop it. I swear, it's like the wild west. Her dogs would dig out of her property and then dig into ours where the gate posts were. My husband had to bury cinder blocks to prevent that. Her dogs live out in a small yard and have nothing to do but get into trouble. I'm sure that they aren't vaccinated and are not on heart worm prevention. I am sure that they will outlive all of my dogs.

OK, rant over. I have neglected dogs on two sides of our property. Considering that one side is road frontage and one in uninhabited, I think it speaks volumes.

We have extensive dirt roads that theoretically you should be able to ride out on. If you aren't worried about the loose dogs that will come charging out at you and your horse, have at it.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one to deal with this problem. I don't know why it is ok to have unfixed dogs in SC but it is. I currently have 3 dogs (all fixed) and one is a "Carolina ditch dog" and I will say she is the best puppy ever. The AC officer said that he had 250 dogs in his shelter right now.

It's not a matter of a leash l;aw. Here in Illinois in the country there is no leash law either. Yet I have never seen a pack of roving wild dogs in Illinois ever. I have seen them in Wisconsin when I was a child - 40 years ago but not since.

I think it's a matter of perception and a case of accountability. Of viewing an animal as soulless therefore not deserving humane treatment by SOME people.

This part of Illinois has many places that offer FREE & very low cost spaying & neutering for cats & dogs. Were are not to zero growth yet - far from it - but it has really really really helped! Perhaps it needs to be developed and promoted in other states as well.

"Ditch dogs" now that is so sad
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

for those in areas where ditch dogs are common, is there a spay/neuter program in place?

I know in NH, there is a low cost, or no fee involved with spay/neuter if you are on public assistance, or food stamps. Are there similar programs in SC and elsewhere?

Also, at least it seems this way, it is very pc incorrect to have an unneutered cat or dog. This certainly helps.

I am just wondering how this problem can begin to be reversed.

Honestly, it was and still is(aside from snakes) my biggest concern about moving to SC...seeing loose dogs that have been abandoned. I would really like to help reverse that trend.

I also have to say, I am absolutely amazed at the people who take in these cdd's. You have huge hearts and should be commended and thanked.

I just would like input as to the why, and what kind of recommendations to make it better, since I plan to be quite active about this issue after I relocate.

I just would like input as to the why, and what kind of recommendations to make it better, since I plan to be quite active about this issue after I relocate.
    FH; I will tell you a couple of reasons. First, the poverty out here is great. There are still people living w/o indoor plumbing in homemade shacks. They often don't own a car and there is no public transportation in these small towns. Second like Woodland mentioned their religion tells them that the dog is meant to serve man, they often get no vet care in there entire lives. Third there is a lot of food for these wild dogs in the woods, they have no natural predators and winters are mild. Then there is the, It's unmanly to have a neutered dog. They still fight dog out here and losers are often thrown out. The thought that it is good for a bitch to have a litter of puppies it is good for their temperament, and if they don't find homes they are set free in the country, or thrown out with the trash. We are dealing with some (a lot) people that have a second grade education tops. I do love it here, I just wish this one problem could be fixed, pun intended

I think a lot of it has to do with cultural differences. In the South, it is a status symbol to have a big, bad, balls-swinging dog...several of 'em are even better. It, like, represents their manhood or something.

Default It's harder than you would think

There was a young couple with 2 kids living down the road from us in an old rented mobile. Their intact male PB had impregnated a neighbor Deputy Sherrif's bitch. He was smart too, leaving a bitch in heat outside just because there was a fence. The PB was jumping into my 4 ft. fencing (no climb) in one bouce, thank God he wasn't dog aggressive. The owners looked like they would be lucky to have grocery money. I called the animal control office and got paperwork that would get them a very inexpensive neuter and left it in their mailbox. Dog was never neutered and the people just disappeared one day. There is just so much of that here in the South.

I am so so so glad i don't like in the south. I have 3 dogs, 2 kitties, a snake, 2 ponies, AND constantly am begging my fiancee to let me rescue something else i've found. Luckily he has common sense and says no! Even will take them to the humane society for me (i can't bring myself to do it! I'm weak).
    Donatello - 12.2hh, 9 year old, pony gelding
    April - 14.3hh, 14 year old, TB Mare
    Ella - 12hh, 4 year old, pony mare

Iris Guest

Wow Smokescreen, you have your hands full! I had the same problem as some others have mentioned regarding the dumping of animals on farms. Our problem in New England was kitties. Finally got a have a heart and started trapping the skittish ones. A lot were very friendly. Fortunately had a broad base of the best boarders and staff anywhere and placed many of them out that way. All were promptly spayed or neutered. Never had to take any to the shelter. The problem of the stray dogs in Aiken is horrible. I read in the paper that 400 dogs per month are euthanized in this county. And I think those are the lucky ones. I lived in very rural New England and I would rarely see a stray dog. Always stopped to get it if it would let me. Carried a leash in my truck for such events. If I stopped for strays here, I'd have one hundred by now. Finally was so sick, almost literally really, of driving by all of them that I picked one up off a road with no homes last Christmas. His neck had outgrown his collar which was embedded in his skin. No tags. Was chipped the vet discovered, but never any answer at the number they tried calling for two weeks. The vet said they've never had one response on a chip call here. We kept the little guy and of course he's the coolest dog ever. I think it's the profound rural poverty here and that these guys can survive a winter here on the rare scrap of food that they come across in a way that they couldn't survive a northern winter. There is certainly a very active animal welfare community here in Aiken and lots of fundraising events. It sure is heartening to see threads like this.

It's not all over the South, just certain areas. We lived in Charleston, SC for the last few years and there were really very few problems with strays.

We have recently moved to the mountains of North Georgia, which, aside from being hell on earth, is overrun with loose roaming dogs. People just let their dogs run all over the damn place! You can't even go for a walk in the "neighborhood" (and I use that term loosely) without the stupid things chasing and yapping at you.

It's really a cultural thing, I think. Because people here think nothing of failing to contain or spay/neuter their beasts. We must have looked crazy moving in and installing a fence for our dogs 1 day later...