The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leaning in on the circle. Help?

I have been having super great luck with my mare since i moved her with me to college and we are without a trainer. However, she is having problems with leaning in our circles. I have tried putting my inside leg on her and lifting my reins, but she ends up just swapping leads. Any advice on how to ger her up. This is mostly just to one side....
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Try pushing her outside shoulder in and making her go squares.

Once you start to get a nice straight lines on the square with a crisp turn, start suppling to the inside while still keeping her neck straight. Make sure you're not overbending (or really, bending at all). That will cause her to lean. She should be able to supple inside and out. Then start adding a little bit of bending her NECK while her body still moves on a straight line to free up her shoulders. Then see where you're at.

I think also really focus on bringing your outside shoulder back, almost so you feel weird doing it. That puts your inside thigh in position to help her stay upright and your body position will certainly help her.
    Proud to be owned by Just Walter
    and member of the *Barefoot Eventers Clique*

You may be unknowingly leaning in on the circles, which is making your horse have to lean in to "catch" you. I have a bad habit of doing this sometimes when I ride. What really helps me is focusing on putting my weight in my outside stirrup and even looking out while going around the circle. This will force you to have your weight on your outside seatbone as you bend her around your inside leg.