The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sand Crack/ Quarter Crack Questions

Hi! Just looking for advice from anyone who's worked with horses with major hoof cracks... I'm trying out this 3 y/o dutch wb/ tb cross gelding who's super cute. I'm looking to bring a long this horse for a 3' hunter with potential for higher. I really like him, but his has a massive crack in his left from hoof all the way to the coronet band... I will obviously have a PPE done before I purchase him, but does anyone have experience with this? Do you think it will significantly affect him?

Define "massive". Massive, and "sand crack" are not the same thing - the latter is a superficial crack.

Where is the crack? You mentioned quarter crack - is it at the quarter? How deep is it?

An injury to the coronet band could be the cause, and that can't be fixed. New hoof grows from the coronet cells, so if there is damage there, there will be an interruption of hoof growth in some form, so it will never look normal, and often looks like a "crack".

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Define "massive". Massive, and "sand crack" are not the same thing - the latter is a superficial crack.

Where is the crack? You mentioned quarter crack - is it at the quarter? How deep is it?

An injury to the coronet band could be the cause, and that can't be fixed. New hoof grows from the coronet cells, so if there is damage there, there will be an interruption of hoof growth in some form, so it will never look normal, and often looks like a "crack".
    it's almost right down the middle and it does not appear to be superficial. I'd say that the latter explaination you describe is more likely. The question is how much could/would this potential affect him? Or is there really no way of knowing? How much of a risk is it? I know little about this type of thing...

So much depends on how balanced his feet currently are, what the real cause of the crack is, how deep it is, etc.

The potentials could be anything from never truly being sound on the foot, to it never ever being a problem other than cosmetic.

My horse had the exact same thing (when he shifted his weight I could see the crack opening and closing) and trust me I know the anxiety you feel because you just don't know how its going to work out. When I bought him my horses feet were in bad shape and barefoot. I was also prepared to wait the year or so for the crack to grow down before jumping him.

The crack needs to be stabilized to get good hoof growth and not just continue cracking. I had two very good farriers. The first one put shoes on him and a metal band across the crack to keep it closed. Within a month I could see good solid hoof growth at the cornet band. After two months I changed barns and had a different farrier. The metal band needed replacing by this time and my new farrier used acrylic to fill and cover the crack. This worked out much better as it kept dirt and junk out of the crack. We only had to touch up the acrylic once since Dec 08. It has been slightly over a year and the last of the crack is at the bottom of the hoof. I rode my horse 4 to 5 times a week doing flat work and trail riding, he was never lame because of the crack. For me the risk and wait have been worth it.

I answered one version of this question elsewhere (I think.)

I echoed others who said to run. If you choose not to run immediately, get a good farrier to evaluate the crack for you. I've lived with bleeding quarters cracks on and off for five years. No way my horse could do a 3' hunter show schedule . . . .