The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chestnut Lawn ISR/OLDNA Inspection Results?

Does anyone have the Chestnut Lawn full inspection results? I had 2 foals there and probably only got to watch about 1/3 of the horses and foals go.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank the organizers and co-hosts, Bernie and Larry Ball! It was a wonderful event as always. I would also like to thank the gracious hosts George and Linda Salisbury for the use of their beautiful facility, Chestnut Lawn Farm, and the delicious lunch spread. Thanks again Bernie for being accomodating about my last minute requests and substitutions. Everything ran like clockwork! Thanks also to the announcer Jeff Marsh. His endless knowledge of history and bloodlines never ceases to amaze me. Thanks of course to the Inspectors, Ekkehard Bryshch and Christian Schacht, for their insightful comments and educational commentary on each horse presented. Finally a special thanks to the professional handler, Christine Smith of Wildest Expectations farm. You make my life so much easier!

A great time was had by all.

My apologies for my delinquency on the CLF results. This comes from having a full time job. It really gets in the way of my horse life!
    I write the article for the ISR/Oldenburg newsletter and I put a preview on COTH. It should be up in a day or two. I do have all the scores, etc.

I also agree that CLF is one of the nicest evaluations around. The quality of the horses that come there is just amazing. It's even more remarkable as most of the participants are small breeders who do not stand their own stallion.

Yay! Thanks IWF. I'll be patient. Yes, darn those full time jobs. They really do get in the way!

I really appreciate all the volunteers and help we get at Chestnut Lawn Farm for this inspection. It has been said that the CLF is such a relaxing and unhurried inspection enjoyed by so many. I will post just how relaxing it is with a colt taking time to smell the flowers while in the premium ring for colts!! Well I thought it was cute!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	champion-colt-smells-flower.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	22588  
    Last edited by talloaks; Sep. 24, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Thumbs up

congratulations Talloaks on another terrific inspection. I know how much work it is to organize one, and I only wish I could do 1/2 as great a job as you do.

Was there a photographer or videographer there?
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    congratulations Talloaks on another terrific inspection. I know how much work it is to organize one, and I only wish I could do 1/2 as great a job as you do.

Was there a photographer or videographer there?
    Gosh, thank you Fred, I know you do a wonderful job with your inspections too!!! There was a lovely Fred baby at the inspection too!!! IWF will post the report as quickly as she can. We had a videographer for the first time in years so I am excited to see the final results in dvd. They also make a version for utube but I don't know anything about such advanced stuff!! No pro photographer this year, just people taking pictures.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I was there, just helping out a breeder, braiding, picking stalls, kissing baby noses, helping put a dent in the lunch buffet, etc. It was a fabulously run inspection & a beautiful facility. Thanks to all who put time & work into making it enjoyable for the rest of us!

If anyone snapped a picture of the Reserve Champion Colt - who was having a bit of a dorky colt moment in the Premium ring and ended up standing sideways, under his mama's neck while they were being announced - I would love a pic of that. I thought I saw some flashes flashing. I happen to be a wee bit partial to both mama & baby.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Bumping this up, hoping that IronwoodFarm has her update ready to post. Hope, hope, hope!! Don't mean to push Margaret!!

Default Results - Long

My apologies for the delay; this working full time really puts a crimp on my horse life! Here is my report. If I got anything wrong, PLEASE PM me as a slightly longer version is going to be sent to the ISR/OLDNA Newsletter.

The 2008 Chestnut Lawn Farm inspection featured spectacular fall weather, an elegant setting and wonderful horses. As expected, the Chestnut Lawn Farm inspection had no shortage of high quality mares and foals. Nine foals received premium awards and one mare entered the premium mare book. It was an exciting time for everyone having an interest in American bred warmbloods.

Thirty-two horses were presented this year. The Chestnut Lawn Farm inspection is among the largest in the country and remains a favorite site for Virginia breeders. We were pleased to have Mr. Ekkehard Brysch, Director/CEO of the ISR/OLDNA and Dr. Christian Schacht, the Breeding Director of the ISR/OLD NA, conduct the inspection.

Eight mares were presented and all were accepted into the breed registry. The single Premium Mare Book mare with a high score at 105 was Fan tine (Fascination/Can of Berries/Family Doctor) owned by Matthew Beasley from Stamford, Connecticut. Mares approved for the Oldenburg Main Mare Book included Robert Skew’s Déjà Vu (Darius/Moose is Loose/Mazuma); Judy Dieffenbach’s Well to Do (Wallstreet Kid/Trinken/Donauschimmer); Joy Diitto Hill’s Ms. Maggie T (Nias/Daddy O. Gal/Leanant); Kimberley Outen’s Lola (Krusader/Lotus/Nemo); and Paradocs Farm Ltd.’s Mefoxytoo (Yukon/Foxy Judy/Akureyri). Ann Biasiolli’s mares Cattywampus (Dream in Gold/Slytely Cinnamon/Silent Fox) and Isilmae (Volterwin/Grand Finale/Galaxy) were accepted in the ISR Pre-mare Book. Dr. Schacht made special note that all the ISR Pre-Mare Book mares had scores the easily qualified them for the Oldenburg Main Mare Book, “but their lack of required paperwork or registration has determined their placement.” Mr. Brysch added that “the thoroughbred dam line has been an important key to the success in U.S. warmblood breeding.” The mares presented at Chestnut Lawn Farm all added to the quality of the registry.

The fillies were in abundant supply; 14 were presented. Approved fillies included Joy Ditto Hill’s Virginia is for Lovers (A Fine Romance/Ms. Maggie T./Nias); Kimberley Outen’s Wynn Dixie (Warcloud/Lola/Krusader); Paradocs Farm Ltd.’s Felicia (Weltstern/Mefoxytoo/Yukon); Emmett Turner’s Lady Liberty (Le Cavalier/Sanszi/Santano) Barbara Sheffield’s Trilogy (Paparazzo/Squeaky Spring/Hasty Spring); Marsha Hudgins’ Filagree (Don Alfredo/Watchmykick/Swelegant); Beth Arnold’s Elegant Belle (Isaiah/Elegant Glen/Happy Billy); Greenstone Farm LLC’s Fondu GSF (Weltstern/Didjeridu/Pine Ridge) and Finders Keepers GSF (Weltstern/Katya’s Treasure/Private Treasure). Color My Horse Farm’s Calypso Musique CMH (Champagne Ambassador/Debussy Le Mer/Ratibor) received a birth certificate.

Four fillies went on to the premium ring and all received premium awards. Rappahannock HPF (Regazzoni/Rafiki/Riverman) owned by Jennifer Mutchler scored 8.0 (8.0/8.2/8.0); Oxsana (Opus/Isilmae/Volterwin) owned by Anne Baisiolli scored 8.2 (8.1/8.2/8.0); Quiana (Quaterback/Contessa/Contucci) owned by Bernie and Larry Ball was reserve champion with a score of 8.2 (8.2/8.1/8.2). Champion high score filly, with a score of 8.4 (8.4/8.4/8.4), was Icy River (Ideal/Ria d’Or/Riverman) owned by Amy Glass of Catlett, Virginia. This filly was lovely.

The colts continued the parade of quality horses. There were ten colts presented and five of them returned to the premium ring. Approved colts included Amy Biasiolli’s Ironside (Ironwman/Cattywampus/Dream in Gold); Lauren Seitz’s Sirius Black (Sempatico M/Bella Gabriella/Thunder Rumble); Elizabeth Hamill and Linda McConnell’s Rohman McVai (Royal Prince/Devonessa/Greystone Ian McVai); and Greenstone Farm LLC’s Fig Newton GSF (Weltstern/Right as Rain/Rainbow) and Fillip GSF (Weltstern/Pressiana/Press Card). Colts receiving premium awards were: Felix GSF (Weltstern/ Lightning Lulu/Heff) with 8.1 (8.1/8.2/8.0) owned b y Greenstone Farm, LLC of Culpeper, Virginia; Romance Me, (Royal Prince/Notice Me/Trakeher lines) with 8.2 (8.2/8.2/8.1) owned by Amy Caputo of Warrenton, Virginia; and Where’s Stuart (Where’s Waldo/Lady Julip/Le Cavalier) with 8.2 (8.0/8.4/8.2) owned by Emmett Turner of Rixeyville, Virginia. Reserve champion colt was Winston (Weltstern/Santa Maria/Santa Cruz) with a score of 8.3 (8.2/8.3/8.3) owned by Beth Arnold of Broadway, Virginia. The champion high score colt was Sandro Prince (Sandro Hit/Felice/Wertherson) with a score of 8.4 (8.1/8.6/8.4) and owned by Bernie and Larry Ball of Marshall, Virginia. His movement was breathtaking.
    Last edited by IronwoodFarm; Oct. 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM.

thank you for that Ironwood.

WOW, Bernie, congratulations!! this must be some kind of record!

thank you for that Ironwood.

WOW, Bernie, congratulations!! this must be some kind of record!
    Hi Fred, what do you mean, some kind of record?? duh!!

Well, the number of reserve champions and champions that Bernie and Larry have may or may not be a record, but it certainly isn't a fluke! They have some gorgeous mares that they breed to top quality stallions.

I second that!!! Bernie has produced some LOVELY foals!! Congrats!!

Congrats everyone!!

Bernie!!!!!!!!! MORE PICTURES!!!!!! I want to see some of that Quaterback filly

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    Congrats everyone!!

Bernie!!!!!!!!! MORE PICTURES!!!!!! I want to see some of that Quaterback filly

Hi okggo, I will try and post a couple of pics of the Quaterback filly, who happens to be the first foal I have ever presented who would not trot with her dam around the areana, but instead smell the flowers, judges table, the videographer, the audience instead of trotting. Poor Cathy was trotting the mare around the arena without a foal!! Guess this little girl Quiana is Miss Independence!! What an experince. On Tues we videoed her at home in our ring to see if she would show the huge trot she normally does, and she did, but just not at the inspection!!! I've heard of it happening to others and it happened to us with probably the biggest mover we have ever had!! I will try and post some pics of her, I am never very good at doing the photos!!

Name:	a-quiana-at-inspection-2-we.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	22638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-quiana-conformation-3-web.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	22639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-ribbon-for-quiana-web.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	22640  

I can't help but laugh at your description of her sniffing everything. That has been more in line with my experience, the foals don't want to run with mom. The filly we took to BWP galloped around full tilt, reared, bucked, jumped the poles and flower boxes, sniffed everybody, but trot, not gonna happen.

LOVE her blaze, looks like a bird sitting on a cliffs edge

I have various photos but they really aren't very good since it was the first time I used a new fixed lens 85mm f1.4 that should be the best in low light situations but very limited if standing too close!!! Here are a couple of pics of the Champion filly!!

Oops, only one photo was small enough to post! Will get back to my photos later.

Congratulations Amy!!

Name:	winning-filly-with-Amy.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	22641  

Quote Originally Posted by avezan View Post
    Well, the number of reserve champions and champions that Bernie and Larry have may or may not be a record, but it certainly isn't a fluke! They have some gorgeous mares that they breed to top quality stallions.
    Maybe I wasn't clear, but I thought I was - I was saying "Congratulations on your outstanding breeding program, and your gorgeous foals you produce year after year!"

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I thought I was - I was saying "Congratulations on your outstanding breeding program, and your gorgeous foals you produce year after year!"

Thank you Fred, I appreciate your kind words our breeding program, and also to avezan, bellaalexander also. I do believe the mares are the basis of any breeding program and when I look back over the years we have always had premium foals!! Of course we don't breed very many, maybe 1 to 3 a year, and some years we dont' breed any mares but if I remember correctly at least since we have been at Chestnut Lawn Farm our foals have been Champions in their sex group, and this year was our first Reserve Champion. I always hope that we will have a premium foal especially now since the grading is becoming more difficult. I am always so surprised when our foals do so well, but we try!! We also try not to overpopulate the horse world so we don't have any foals coming in 09 and are giving serious thought to what we might breed for 2010.

I will try and get more photos reduced to post later today!! I'm not a great photographer but will post more pics.

Retrofit...was the Reserve colt Renoir? I believe that was my friends colt and I want pics too! I was supposed to go help them and take pics but I was stuck with family stuff all day...dying to see the pics!