The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does topically applied MSM do anything?

I'm starting to see MSM in liniments. Does it actually travel through the skin, and do anything?

I supplement MSM orally (Grand Hoof + MSM) and will continue to do so. But rubbing it in?

thanks.

I did the research several years ago and might have forgotten - but isn't DMSO MSM?

I've been using it on a knee injury where a renta-orse rubbed agaisnt a tree and about pushed me out of the saddle. Anti-inflammatories help for the time, but the pain comes back before the next dose is due, so I gave up on that.

What I'm doing now is actually working to reduce the inflammation permanently. I'm to the point that the knee doesn't bother me till I have forgotten to do the treatment for several days in a row.

OK, I use Sore No More gelotion on the knee, then a smidge of DMSO over it. It should be taking the arnica from the SNM deeper and it seems to be doing just that. We don't have ins. right now, so I'm trying to avoid rads and injections. It's working!

I have to assume that combo would work for a horse too, but who knows.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

MSM topically does a great job on scratches and assorted fungi. No idea if its anti-inflammatory properties work topically- never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    I did the research several years ago and might have forgotten - but isn't DMSO MSM?

I've been using it on a knee injury where a renta-orse rubbed agaisnt a tree and about pushed me out of the saddle. Anti-inflammatories help for the time, but the pain comes back before the next dose is due, so I gave up on that.

What I'm doing now is actually working to reduce the inflammation permanently. I'm to the point that the knee doesn't bother me till I have forgotten to do the treatment for several days in a row.

OK, I use Sore No More gelotion on the knee, then a smidge of DMSO over it. It should be taking the arnica from the SNM deeper and it seems to be doing just that. We don't have ins. right now, so I'm trying to avoid rads and injections. It's working!

I have to assume that combo would work for a horse too, but who knows.
    You do know that DMSO is a pretty strong human carcinogenic don't you? There is a very valid reason you are supposed to wear gloves when applying to horses. This is coming from a chemist who throws caution to the wind with many 'dangerous' chemicals! but DMSO is NASTY stuff, and you don't want to get it on you none the less purposely put it on yourself! Can't you taste it in your mouth when you put it on your knee?

DMSO is NOT carcinogenic. It's also not MSM.

The reason you wear gloves when applying it is that it's a solvent and will carry just about anything thorough your skin. On it's own it may give you a gross taste in your mouth and make you smell of garlic.

I seriously doubt MSM applied to the skin is going to do a damned thing, unless it's paired with a carrier (like DMSO.) If you want a topical anti-inflammatory, use Surpass.