The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare udder development??????

I have been asked to foal out a mare. The client bought the mare in foal. Was told she was bred on Oct. 19th of last year. Mare had vet check last Nov and was in foal. Client bought her in the winter...her vet palpated and said not in foal. Vet then did a ultrasound and said she was. Mare came to me this week because client knows nothing about foaling...and can not take off time from work. She thought the mare was due this weekend. I looked at her and there is NO udder development what so ever. We know that she has had two foals and I would expect some kind of change in her udder????? I got a hold of the person who bred her and there is no set in stone date that she was bred!!!

How many of you have had mares with NO change in their udders???
    I have had maidens but they even changed a few days prior to foaling????
    and Yes she is prego...I have seen the foal move and she is big as a house. Has not dropped down yet and no other changes. Still eating great and sleeping on the ground at night?? I can only get a couple of drops out of her udders and it is clear.

My friend has a mare that has had 3 foals with no udder development. She cought her foaling the first time by pure luck. Her only sign is - even though there is no udder development, she can squeeze out a small amount of white milk about 24 hours before. The mare always has good colostrum and plenty of it after foaling. If she only has clear milk you probably have some time, although mares are sneaky. Any chance whoever had her when her first two foals were born kept any records, or remembers her showing any foaling signs?

I'm wondering how sure you are about the breed date. I bred my mare Ballista on June 20th last year and by mid May started looking for a baby. The mare had been confirmed in foal on Oct. 21st.

To make a very long story short, it turned out that she had lost the first baby and then got bred by my 2 year old who was out with the broodies. She finally delivered baby on Aug. 16th. But I had expected the baby on June 1st ish.

I had been positive she was just really late with the first baby and it took me a long time to come around to figuring out what really happened.

Just some thoughts.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Being in VA, has the mare has been off of fescue the last month or two?

yes I was worried about the fescue...but owner has had her off and in a lot for three months???? Ithink she is going tofoal more like November but breeder and owner think I am crazy.

Regardless of exactly when she is due you should be able to see the foal move by now. The best time is after the mare eats or drinks. If you aren't seeing any movement I would get the vet out to palpate again so you don't waste any nights of sleep in the future.