The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Boarding Request

I have a feeling that someone is trying a scam, and I am wondering if anyone else has been approached by this person, or a similar senario. Here is the correspondence between us. Something didn't sound right so I said that I would need to speak with him first and requested his phone number.. He was pretty quick and said that he was deaf! What do you all think?

Hello There,
    >
    > I need to board my horse away from home for two months as i will be
    > traveling on vacation with my family,i need a good horse keeper for
    > Miama,he is a very cool and easy with people that do my late husband
    > bought it from Mexican ranch in south Dakota before his death..,i
    > just got him a saddle,i ride him 2 twice in week.
    >
    > I have the cogging and health certificate,i will need a full stall
    > boarding for the two months,he is in the best condition of health.
    >
    > Let me know the price for this.
    >
    > Regards
    > Ernest Butler.
    >

On 9/19/09, wndyrdge@mbcomp.com <wndyrdge@mbcomp.com> wrote:
    >
    I would need to speak to you in person. Please send me your phone number.

Thanks for the prompt respond to my email, I will also love to speak with you on phone but am deaf and i do felt bad about been deaf, so i do communicate through email only.

Please do bear with me. Looking forward to hearing from you about the horse boarding because
    i will be leaving for Hawaii soon but will have my mover bring Miami down to your barn,the time of the boarding falls between my vacation,i will be sending the payment ahead to make reservation for a full stall for him... The price for the boarding is reasonable and would like you to send me the following info in email,for me to mail out the payment to you via ups.email me the info in the following order:

Full Name
    Address
    City
    Zip Code
    Phone number

I will have the payment mailed to you as soon as possible and my mover will bring him down,the payment will include the hauler's fee as they accept their at the point of delivery ,please they will be responsible for the delivery and picking him after the agreement expires,i will also have them bring coggins and health document of Miami with them..i would love to have the agreement mail to me for signing and will have my hauler bring it with the neg coggins

About Miami:He has been all over the county to different horse events as my living lawn chair. You can count on him to be calm no matter how crazy everything else is. I have taken him too many different arenas and shows and he is always the same, reliable boy. She would be so great for a returning rider who wants to trail ride with friends and alone and needs a horse they can count on.
    He is very honest and kind, he does well in large groups, but is easy to ride alone as well. he is very healthy and has always been barefoot. he trailers like a champ, ties, clips, bathes the normal stuff.

That is all i could say about her,i will be looking forward to read from you..

Regards
    Ernest Butler.

A mexican ranch in South Dakota?????? Ernest had a husband? And half the time the horse is a "he" and the other half a "she"?

Yeah, and I've got this bridge......

That exact email or one close to it has been posted on here numerous times. I have a hard time believing that anyone would take it seriously even for a brief moment but at least you figured it out beforehand.

Personally...I vote scam. I know others may say "benefit of the doubt"..BUT come on, if you were getting ready to go somewhere and board your horse at a strangers' farm....what questions would YOU ask other than how much???

Also noticed that they call the horse "him" and yet forget to change one "It" (probably editing a boat scam )

I would not answer again...the reason these people are getting smarter is because people are emailing them back and giving them ideas.

My favorite are when I get music lesson scam emails...."Dude, do you not realize that people actually come through the door with their child before they write a check???"

That exact same email or really close has been going around, with the names changed of course, now they are deaf, but the "living lawn chair" phrase really stuck in my mind.
    Scam.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I like how the story changes, but the horse is always named "Miami" - poor thing has been all over the country!
    "I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth it?”

Deaf folks can easily communicate by telephone using a TTD relay service.

It's a scam.

ETA: Ok, I didn't even read the whole OP. Living lawn chair??? HA!

How could it be a scam? The e-mail says they'll send you 'board' plus 'shipper's fee.' What happens is that they send you a forged check and get you to send YOUR REAL MONEY to 'the shipper', which is actually THEM. See? Note: Their forged checks can be quite good, it can be a while before the bank catches on. What ALL these scams have in common is the 'they send you fake money, you send them REAL money' thing.

Default SCAM

just B4 you find out the check/cashiers check etc is forged their uninsured sainted mother will be diagnosed with some gruesome desease. of course the hospital will insist on prepayment for the treatment and they will need you to wire ALL the money back.

SCAM for sure
    more hay, less grain

Default I got this one 2x today....

Once thru the online reply in my website and a second thru just them copy and pasting my email from the website.....
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Arrow

Hahahaha I just got the same one today Of course as always i am booked full with a waiting list. AND I do not accept horses/boarders without an application and screening process - unless I know them of course. I have too many children here I must be careful that my existing boarders are safe.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Please people!! Read through the previously posted threads - all with the same email!! Lets just say "if you have to ask....." - nuff said.
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
    Please people!! Read through the previously posted threads - all with the same email!! Lets just say "if you have to ask....." - nuff said.
    People can post what they want when they want within posting guidelines. I am NOT searching through all the posts looking to see if my question has been answered or not and I don't expect others to do so either, I search sometimes but not for everything.

There is NO issue or rule that someone has to search before they post, the fact that people come on these posts and says that they need to is what I take issue with.

If you are tired of reading these, don't open them, simple, easy. But don't insult people with a "Please people!! Read through the previously posted threads - all with the same email!! Lets just say "if you have to ask....." - nuff said." that is just plain rude. Sorry.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Let them send you the money order, then turn it over to the police with a printed copy of all correspondence.

Ha ha didn't someone just a few days post something about a scam JUST LIKE this one?? Looks like this one was more obvious though.

What stuck in my mind is that latter half of the last email describing the horse sounds more like an edited 'for sale' ad. If I'm going to board my horse somewhere I'd be saying what medical conditions he has, what type/ quantity of grain he eats, supplements, vaccination record, type of shoes/ who the facility uses for shoeing & price as well as questions about the facility and surrounding amenities.

But the fact that Miami swaps from a him to her is a bigger giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    How could it be a scam? The e-mail says they'll send you 'board' plus 'shipper's fee.' What happens is that they send you a forged check and get you to send YOUR REAL MONEY to 'the shipper', which is actually THEM. See? Note: Their forged checks can be quite good, it can be a while before the bank catches on. What ALL these scams have in common is the 'they send you fake money, you send them REAL money' thing.
    Yup. Another variation is a parent whose precious and oh so talented child has seen a picture of your beautiful horses, facility, etc and has heard of your fantastic teaching ability and wants to spend his vacation with you learning from you and riding your beautiful horses. He will send you a check , please take enough to cover your charges and send the rest back.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I like to reply to these people that my board is $1000 per month, and if you want your horse to be fed, it's $2000. Generally they say that sounds reasonable and will ship the horse in a week.

Liz