The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying Cavallos- one question

Hey everyone. I am not experienced with barefoot and horse boots. But my horse has always been barefoot and he has great feet. Now where I board him the trails are very gravely and he is tender on them. Plus we only go out 1-2x a week and the other days are riding in a rubber ring- so his feet aren't getting as much exposure.

I have looked at several boot options and have decided on the Cavallos because they are in my price range and a friend recommended them. SO My question is about measuring!
    These are the measuring/size guide

size length from heal to toe
    0 - 4" - 4 1/14" (102-109mm)
    1 - 4 5/16" - 4 9/16" (110-117mm)
    2 - 4 5/8" - 4 7/8" (118-125mm)
    3 - 4 15/16" - 5 3/16" (126-133mm)
    4 - 5 1/4" - 5 1/2" (134-141mm)
    5 - 5 9/16" - 5 13/16" (142-149mm)
    6 - 5 7/8" - 6 1/8" (150-157mm)

I have a wb who measured 5 1/2 from heal to toe. The widest part of his foot was also 5 1/2 and width at the bare of his heel (like the width of the frog) was 3 inches.

He isnt "freshly" trimmed as they recommend in the video. But I didnt have him trimmed by the blacksmith(who is just does regular shoe trimming and I don't care for that) because he was already tender on the rocks. Instead I rasp him about once a week and to me his feet are a good length.

Do you think I should get the size 4, because he isnt freshly trimmed and slightly longer than if the farrier just did him? Or will that be too tight and I should go for the 5's? Let me know! Sorry if it didnt make sense, I am just really eager to get them so we can get back on the trails again!

Not sure of the width of Cavallos vs length. They could be too narrow when you get the length you want. Make sure you can get your money back if they don't fit properly.

For feet that are as wide as they are long, I prefer the Original Old Macs. They are a bit more money, but they hold up well over time, so IMHO, they are worth the price difference. They look awful, though.

oh really? thanks a lot for that tidbit.

I did have my heart set on cavallos but now I'm just confused! lol.
    I am not thinking the easyboots (original probs) or the glove. I love the idea of the glove, but on the measuring guide the width doesnt even GO to 5 1/2inches.
    That seems Odd?My horse has big feet-but he isnt a draft horse! 16hand warmblood
    any other insight?

I was going to get them for mostly trail riding- I walk 50% of the time and trot and canter 50% of the time. I would prefer a boot that would be able to handle some jumping. But honestly it doesnt really because I evented this horse all summer beginner novice barefoot and he was fine-that was in fields. so in reality I wouldnt be jumping on rocks anyway. But I dont want it too clunky

Sorry to have confused you. Many people really like the Cavallos. It's just that I noted your horse has the same measurements for length and width, and that may limit your boot choice.

I had a 16hh OTTB with the same measurements. I had cobbled together 2 different sized Epics for him (smaller heel strap and gaiter, cut the back of the boot down to the sole). That worked well, but I wasn't keen on the tread. I need to take pics of the modification, since somebody else asked what I did. This horse was a chronic over-reacher, no matter how far I brought back his toes. He'd catch his heels even without boots.

He went beautifully in Original Old Macs. They looked awful, and he broke the buckle on the outer strap right away, but it was nice to have boots that did not need modification to fit my wide-footed horse. I like the tread on those, also. I did rasp the toe of the boot a bit for looks and to put the breakover farther back. It turns out we did not need that outer strap anyway, because the boots stayed on and stayed straight through WTCG and quite a bit of bucking.

Ya gotta watch for rubs on any boot that goes above the coronet. My OM's came with gaiters, which we used until the boots were broken in. Also used them on longer rides to prevent rubs.

I think some of the boots start out in the smaller sizes because Arabians dominate the distance sports, and probably represent a good chunk of the market. It seems that after a while--maybe when they get any kinks worked out of the design--companies start offering larger boot sizes. The exception is the Edge, which doesn't come very small. That may be a physical limitation based on the design of the closure.
    Last edited by matryoshka; Sep. 20, 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Have used Old Macs for a while now and can't say enough good things about them...regardless of how they look...they WORK.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

i have a horse with a more oval shaped hoof and he got bad rubs from the Old Macs, and also they were heavy and clunky on him. Now i have a friend at the barn who's horse has very ROUND feet, and they fit her horse great with NO rubs and they don't clunk around on her horse.

Old Mac G2's are for more oblong feet than the OM's. Ill fitting boots are going to cause rubs. Frank gets a rub in his G2's on his clubby foot, but the flat one is fine. Maybe I should put an Original OM on the clubby one and a G2 on the flat one. Okay, I won't do that.

I think Renegades offer wide sizes. Don't know if they come as wide as OM's, but it might be worth looking into.

The horse who fit the OM's always had Epics on his hinds. His hind feet were oblong, and I didn't even have to modify the boots for his hinds. Again, we did WTCG (and a lot of bucking) without the boots coming loose or turning. Epics were a bit slick for him on wet grass, so we were careful on hills when it was wet.

call Cavallo. They will answer the fit question. They do allow for growth in their boot sizes.

Cavello's are made for round hooves, (as are the original Old Mac's). They should work fine on your horse. But if I were you I would go to the tack shop and measure inside a size 3 and a size 4 boot and go from there. They tend to measure bigger than the chart on the website.
    I had a pony with very round hooves and wanted to get the cavello's for him since the are so easy to put on and take off. But I ended up having to go with the original old macs (which are a little more of a pain to put on and take off) since the cavello's measures way too big. I am so glad I went to the tack store and measured them before making the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by matryoshka View Post
    Old Mac G2's are for more oblong feet than the OM's. Ill fitting boots are going to cause rubs. Frank gets a rub in his G2's on his clubby foot, but the flat one is fine. Maybe I should put an Original OM on the clubby one and a G2 on the flat one. Okay, I won't do that.

I think Renegades offer wide sizes. Don't know if they come as wide as OM's, but it might be worth looking into.

The horse who fit the OM's always had Epics on his hinds. His hind feet were oblong, and I didn't even have to modify the boots for his hinds. Again, we did WTCG (and a lot of bucking) without the boots coming loose or turning. Epics were a bit slick for him on wet grass, so we were careful on hills when it was wet.
    When I was looking I really wanted to try the Renegades but they only came in smaller sizes. We use an easyboot size 4 and that is way bigger than the Renegades came, this was also last yr, they may be making bigger now. I stayed away from old macs because of the 25 mile limit on riding without rubs. I went with the original (after 2005) easyboot and couldn't be happier. I wish these companies would start all making boots for the larger hoof though.