The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default helmets?

I have an IRH (knock-off GPA style). I can't remember when I bought it though. And it's a little large. I have some foam inserts in it and I wear my hair tucked up into it. I've fallen off in it a few times, but I've never landed on my head. The fabric is intact as is the chinstrap.

So my question is should I get a new helmet? I heard that you're supposed to buy a new helmet if it falls more than 4 feet. I don't do any intense riding, once a week, and the most challenging horse I ride is a sane but hot OTTB.

thanks!
    Melissa

It should be fine as long as you don't hit your head while wearing it. But if it wobbles on your head (really shake your head around to check) or it sits back on your head, then it does need to be replaced. Also make sure to replace them 5 years from the date of manufacture as the foam can break down over time.

You can get a new helmet these days for around $30, in your size. Well worth the money to be sure you stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Also make sure to replace them 5 years from the date of manufacture as the foam can break down over time.
    Hmm, I think that I need to buy a new helmet, then. Ho horible. Oh no. This is tragic

(I hate my current helmet! Ok, no, it's very comfy, but ugly as sin - I bought it because I needed one right then and nothing else felt right.)

I dropped mine top down on the concrete barn floor yesterday so now I have to get a new one. Dang it. It is 3 years old and I have fallen in it but never really whopped my head.

Better safe than sorry though. Even dropping from that small height (probably 3 feet from the shavings bag stack to the floor) is enough to jar the protective gear.

Does anyone know if riding ASTM helmets utilize the shock foam like they do on motorcycle helmets? What happens in the motorcycle helmets (so I'm told) is that when impact happens, the foam releases in the helmet to absorb shock. I went to the ASTM website and searched for the standards, but you have to pay for the download.

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!