The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Re-waterproofing a turn out sheet

I have a couple of Triple Crown turnout sheets that are rather old. I think they have one or two more seasons left in them before they die completely. They've seen better days and have many repairs, but hey, they fit my horses!

But they haven't been waterproof in a very, very long time. Since they are currently CLEAN, now's the time to re-proof them.

So, product suggestions? Cost is a factor, but of course, I'd rather not throw money away on something that won't work!

Last year when this question came up many CoTHers recommended "Camp Dry", which I just ordered nine cans of today to redo all of my older Rambos. Said it worked really well. $7.99/can. Am hoping one can for one or two blankets .. who knows?

We have used a silicone waterproofing on many of our old blankets and sheets and it works very well. It is inexpensive compared to others. Apply a heavy coat and let it soak in. It will dry in 24-48 hours depending on the humidity and it will not discolor the fabric. This is the website-
    http://www.atsko.com/shop/catalog/Si...p-1-c-269.html
    Good luck.

I had two Triple Crown turnouts last season, and they both survived fine with the cheap silicone waterproofing spray from Wal-Mart. I slapped it on very generously, like one whole can per blanket with close attention to the seams. The can has an unmistakeable neon orange lid; I can't remember how much it cost, but it was less than $8 per bottle.

This year I doubled my odds of success by doing a Nikwax wash-in AND I'm going to spray.

I'm going to try Thompson's Waterseal on an older Rider's sheet. It didn't do squat for the old Weatherbeeta last year, but I'm hoping that since the Rider's sheet is a tighter weave, it'll do better. I have the waterseal left over from a project, so I'm not buying anything this time... I don't have high expectations.
    Y'all ain't right!

I used Target's equivalent to the Camp Dry (don't remember what it was called, but it's in the camping section) on a Rambo that lost waterproofing and it held up very well. I cleaned it and did two lighter coats (the can recommended that over one heavy one).

I think I'll try the Camp Dry.

Places to buy the stuff?? Walmart or specialty store? I can use this as an excuse to go to Campmor, I guess. The other ulterior motive would be to go to the hobby store that sells Breyers... Niether store is *that* close.

I have been using the Wal-Mart stuff(with the BRIGHT orange top) for about 5 years now. It works just as well as Camp Dry and not quite as high dollar. It used to be $4, now it's $6-$8 I think. I do 2 light coats and let it dry really well. Make sure you spray in a very well ventilated area, I suggest outside, and not on a windy day. It is really bad to breathe this stuff, so I tie a bandanna over my nose/mouth.
    Just cause you move to Texas, doesn't mean you are a Texan. After all, if a cat puts her kittens in the oven, It doesn't make them Bisquits.

I've been using the Nikwax wash-in waterproofer. It seems to work well and is EASY. Not inexpensive - about $8-10 per blanket, but it requires practically no effort. My heavy blankets don't fit in the washer, so I'll have those re-waterproofed by the blanket cleaners.

I think the product you use should be chosen by what you expect of it and the blankets in the future.

If you just want waterproofing, then the Camp Dry and others do well.

I want my blankets to be waterproof and BREATHEABLE, as they are when new. This is a whole 'nother beast. Once you seal the fibers together with Thompson's or Camp Dry, you may never get the breatheability back again.

Like one of the other posters, I have used Nikwax wash-in waterproofer, a comparable Rambo prodict, and Bass Pro Shops brand. All have worked very well and restored the blankets and sheets to their original waterproof/breatheable condition.

You wash it in and dry as the product says. Some say dryer, one said to iron in if possible. I was able to iron the sheets but was afraid to iron the lined blankets. If the loft flattens out, the insulating ability is lost.

It might cost about $12/bottle, but you can do a couple blankets with one. I use this stuff when I wash my outerware and ball caps. It's highly recommended for skiwear. It's great and easy.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Yip View Post
    I want my blankets to be waterproof and BREATHEABLE, as they are when new. This is a whole 'nother beast. Once you seal the fibers together with Thompson's or Camp Dry, you may never get the breatheability back again.
    There is nothing inherently breathable about ballistic or ripstop nylon, which is what most of these blankets are made of. If you've ever worn an unlined nylon windbreaker made of nylon, you'd agree. The breathability comes from the wicking layers beneath the main insulating layer, which is usually a totally different piece of fabric on the interior of the garment.

AFAIK, only truly breathable exterior blanket fabric is Gore-Tex.

For those who are price comparing, I bought my cans of "the neon orange stuff" at Wal-Mart tonight for $4.84 per can.

I use Nikwax Re-proof every few years when I wash to make sure my sheets & blankets STAY waterproof.
    The turnouts that have come to me that are no longer waterproof are not much improved by the Nikwax. Of course, it needs to be said that the overall quality of those turnouts are not the same as the Rhino turnouts (that I have been using for eleven years now!) I guess I don't expect an older Weatherbeeta or Rider's turnout to stay w.p. as long as a Rhino, Rambo, or Triple Crown turnout....
    Y'all ain't right!

I have seen breathability at work.

I once placed a 200g (I believe) Weatherbeeta turnout blanket on my mare. It was new and clean and I didn't want it to get dirty, so I placed a waterproof Weatherbeeta t/o sheet over it. The night was extremely cold for us in NC.

In the morning, I took off the t/o sheet and found the mare dry, and a thin layer of ice on top of the t/o blanket. The blanket had indeed wicked the moisture to the outside of the blanket. I believe the sheet would have wicked it out too, except the moisture had frozen first.

The companies who manufacture the breatheable waterproofing can explain how it works. In my understanding, it's not about the fabric but about the product.

One of my t/o sheets had lost it's waterproofing and it was really apparent with a soaked horse. I used one of the products and washed it in as directed, and it was as good as new again. Now I always use the products when cleaning the blankets in the spring.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

I've had really good luck with the stuff that the sell at Marine supply stores to waterproof canvas boat covers. It's not like a silicone. It seems to rubberize the fabric.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Lightbulb Bumping for more ideas: what do you waterproof with?

Hi COTHers-

I have to be honest--I haven't had much luck using CampDry (I, too, was using about a can per blanket) or Silicone-based spray or wash-in Colombia waterproofing garmet liquid (or a combo of all 3)...they still get wet through when it's really raining. (They do have a nice big run-in/shelter if they want).

I'm going to see if I can find a boat store 'round these parts (we're landlubbers) to try that boat-canvas proofing stuff...but anyone have any other ideas? I do have quality sheets and blankets--rambos and amigos, but they still get soaked and I wind up having to go to my back-up blankets (which I try to keep clean for show--weatherbeta and riders hug). Brand new blankets are OUT of the financial question right now.

So...any other ideas out there? What do you waterproof with?

I was always suprised they don't make blankets with a 2nd layer made of REAL RAINCOAT material--I realize it'd rip easier, but if they outer layer were the same (I guess it wouldn't be breathable though)...

Nikwax. Just follow the directions. We sponge on.

Default Which Nikwax product?

and how applied?
    used it last year on Rambos--didnt work.
    klr

Quote Originally Posted by HollysHobbies View Post
    Hi COTHers-

I'm going to see if I can find a boat store 'round these parts (we're landlubbers) to try that boat-canvas proofing stuff...
    The stuff I get is called:

STARBRITE Waterproofing & Fabric Treatment with PTEF

You can get it online from http://www.westmarine.com

Thanks EH-
    About how many blankets does that Spray Bottle cover?

HH

Quote Originally Posted by HollysHobbies View Post
    Thanks EH-
    About how many blankets does that Spray Bottle cover?

HH

It would probably depend on the size of the blanket and what it is made out of. I use a 78" Weatherbeata turnout that I use alone in spring and fall, and throw over warmer turnouts in the winter. It takes me one and one half to two bottles of the marine waterproofing to do that one sheet. The stuff is by no means cheap, but it works really well.