The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Handy Hunter Course?

I am hoping someone can help me out here. We run a local rated show here at our farm in the fall, and I am toying with the idea of making the Children and Adult Classics Handy rounds.

Good idea, or no? I would really like to encourage people to do something different and exciting. We already offer pairs o/f and u/s, and I was thinking a Handy round would add to it.

Also, does anyone have photos or diagrams of Handy rounds? They've been gone from around here since I was a kid and I don't remember them!

TIA!

You could probably modify a hunter round. In the handy classes i've been in, there's usually a rollback, and somewhere on course a halt followed by a trot fence.

FUN
    Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

Generally handy rounds are not used as part of a classic. Usually you do your handy round and then the round which happens to be a regular hunter class is the first round of a classic. If you want to spice up the hunter classic why not do a handy type course for the second round?
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Why not add a "Handy" course as an additional round rather than changing the childrens and adult classes to handy only?

Most Handy courses I've seen include the same things doccer mentioned. I've also seen them include mounting or dismounting and opening a gate.

Another "fun" course we used to do (but I have not seen in some years) is "back yard hunter" which is a regular hunter course but the filler for the jumps is the type of thing you'd see used for home-made jumps...

A coop made from a rail and tarps, orange crates instead of flower boxes, stacked tires, barrels..... Anything as long as it's safe! Once we did a class where we jumped a pile of mannequin parts!

Had to laugh went it was mentioned a dismount and mount could be added. I am 5'1 1/2 and my horse is 17 +hands.....no way can I get back on!!!! In this day and age many horses are that big so many could not actually complete the test. I believe a dismount and lead over a fence may be a better choice. The halt and trot fence plus rollbacks are often added. Also adding a stride in a line could be another test.

Aother thing often added is a jump on the short side of the arena, fences with no wings, hay bales under a rail, plus what others have added. In one class where you had to dismount and mount they added a 3 step mounting block. If you add the dismount and mount you add quite a bit of time to the round so often it is dismount and lead over a fence on your way out of the arena. Same thing with open and close a gate - adds quite a bit of time to the class.

If this is a schooling show you could specify how you want them to enter the arena and maybe no opening circle, etc. Then add a roll back tun, a fence on the short side and halt on a straight line, dismount and lead the horse over a small fence on the way out of the arena. Nothing to hard but something different.

In one handy round at a small local show the riders had to halt after a fence on the short side, dismount and get a letter out of a mailbox and then lead their horses out over a small fence. Adding the mailbox was a hoot, some of the horses just did not want to get close to it so there was a lot of leaning going on!

*Here's my PSA if you do dismount - don't forget to roll your stirrups or at least throw them over the saddle. DD was the only one to do this and she won the class on it! Sometimes it helps to have a mom that was in Pony Club.

We had a handy course at our show series in the Children's/Adult Hunter and Working divisions. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. It went like this:

Diagonal line
    Halt
    Roll back to trot fence
    Broken Line
    Hand gallop around ring to single very up-right gate
    Halt and stand (hard to do after the hand-gallop!
    Outside line

One of my students used the hand-gallop to really show off. She has an OTTB that would rock-n-roll, yet stand on the buckle at the halts. Needless to say, she won the class all year long.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

GREAT ideas! Keep em coming!

It is a local series, year end pointed but not rated. I can't change the pointed division classes, ie, make one of the regular rounds a handy, hence the thought that I would make it a handy classic type thing.