The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Scratches?

I’m embarrassed to even ask this… but I can’t seem to keep up. It being so wet around Pennsylvania scratches are bad around our barn… Does anyone have any ideas of how to knock them out? I’ve tried shampoo’s, Betadine Surgical Scrub, Desitin, everything I can think of!!

Any Ideas???

Help!
    You board with what I call a, sh!t disturber - Patty Lynch

Default scratches

try the remedy on vineherbal.com. It works quite well.

Mary

I am in PA also. We use a 50 /50 mixture of panalog and furacin. Works great.

Before adding more goop, you should get a CULTURE of the scabbys, and a swab of what is under the scabs. Send as an aerobic and anaerobic culture.

Although it will take a week, you will get results back of all the antibiotics that the staph/strep (or whatever the bacteria/fungus is) is susceptible/resistent to.

NO sense in treating with an antibiotic that he is not susceptible to!!

Usually in stubborn cases its a staph and strep 3 - 4+ infection - very hard to get rid of because BOTH are present. Out of 15 antibiotics, my gelding was susceptible to ONE.

After 3 years of battling with it, it is now clear because of this ONE antibiotic/antifungal treatment.

If your horse is staged I (intermediate) to say panalog, and you treat with panalog, it may get better short term, but you will cause resistence long term and will be dealing with MORE RESISTENT sratches in the future.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

you need a steroid mixed into whatever standard goop you are using - get it from the vet. Then, clean it once, really well, then NO MORE WATER until better. Keep it dry dry dry and keep slopping the stuff on it. And better yet, dont ride for a week, so you arent puttting undue skin 'stretch' on the area and opening it up again.

My vet recommends a 4% chlorhexidine shampoo. Leave it on for 10 minutes once a day. Dry well.

My magic cure is Tommorrow Dry Cow treatment. I've rarely had to treat more than once or twice. I do not pick the scabs off (they hate that). I dab a little around and into the cracks and cover with desitin. Desitin is so hard to get off, I think it helps keep the medicine on longer.

I just treated a yearling a few weeks ago and the desitin did appear to come off by the next day, from the tall grass and rain. BUT I didn't take the time to bring him in and do it again and within a week, the scabs had fallen off, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    you need a steroid mixed into whatever standard goop you are using - get it from the vet. Then, clean it once, really well, then NO MORE WATER until better. Keep it dry dry dry and keep slopping the stuff on it. And better yet, dont ride for a week, so you arent puttting undue skin 'stretch' on the area and opening it up again.
    NOT necessarily. Steroids are to treat the inflammation caused by the scratches, they do nothing to treat the bacteria or fungus.

The best treatments usually combine an antibacterial agent, antifungal and steroid. BUT, the MOST important thing is to treat with the right antibiotic.

Also, unless you are treating orally, it is important to soften the scabs as much as possible if they cant be removed to treat with the prescribed antibiotic cream. Many can not penetrate through the scabs sufficiently. Desitin works well to soften them so they will come off....BUT, just because the scabs are gone doesnt mean the infection is.

Again, you need to find out WHAT you are dealing with. "Scratches" can be fungal, a straph, strep or other infection. Just like in people, you need to find out exactly what you are dealing with before treating for best results!!!

After about 3 years of dealing with this: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29180...81786972dEWEaB

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/26611...81786972MNMRKA

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22682...81786972tnDTCv

I had the culture done, and realized that the scratches he had was suceptible to ONE out of 15 antibiotic treatments, INCLUDING two my vet prescribed and MANY that people here on COTH suggested. Now that I have been treating with the SUCEPTIBLE cream, his scratches are GONE. Seriously, find out if its a staph, strep or combo infection...then you will be able to treat properly!!

**and yes, probably a ton of mild scratches will be cured with regular cleaning and panalog type cream, but if it doesnt clear up completely within 4 weeks, do a culture!

Don't be embarrassed! Scratches can be a royal pain to get rid of.

I have had luck with some topical things, though I always rotate between them. I've not yet had a really stubborn case though. What I have found works really well and is cheap is vinegar sponged onto the legs. However, I wouldn't use that on open wounds. I also tend not to pick at the scabs if I am going to use vinegar.

Thus far, the scratches I have had to deal with all clear up for good once the weather dries out (around Nov down here). So I just keep them under control until then, when they clear up very easily.

Here in MD a lot of horses have it. The ones who had it, I scrubbed with betadine, rinsed, towel dried well, applied desetin. EVERY DAY! It keeps the scabs away and heals fast. I also find that after riding or bathing every horse I clean the socks with Ivory soap if dirty from footing or whatever. And dry them off well instead of tossing them out with wet legs. Helps with cannon bone scurf too! As soon as the wet season begins I try to prevent before it happens b/c it is a real pain!