The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oldenburg Elite Auction

Preview videos for the 71st Oldenburg Elite Auction are up.

http://www.oldenburger-pferde.com/horses/67_692.php

Starlight looks lovely... this should draw a nice audience for him. No question but that these auctions are a GREAT marketing tool for owners/breeders. We see them again and again and again… and we note all the interest they generate for the breeders over there, which translates to a stronger market and profit for German breeders. It would be nice if the GOV put money into an American online auction, with the same level of internet advertising, the lovely video clips… etc… an online site of videos of American GOV foals/riding horses/ breeding stock… all shot from about the same angle... by a good videographer, to support the market here in the USA for GOV breeders. German breeders could then see (in one lovely format) what was being produced over here, and bid on American bred Oldenburgs, based entirely upon the lovely videos (and the pedigree)… just as some American breeders do for "the product" they produce over there.

We breed nice horses here... we simply need more organized productive ways to market what we produce. This country is very large… we'd have to have about three regional Elite auctions. An internet auction may not be the very BEST option, but, as we will soon see from all the oooh's and aaahs "I'm drooling over #32" type posts that are sure to come here, it is a powerful marketing tool that should be considered. If the internet can be used successfully for them to market to us, it can be used for us to market to them.
    Last edited by Cartier; Sep. 18, 2009 at 08:50 AM.

Does anyone have any idea of what a mare would go for at one of these auctions, on average? I've noticed that the stallions and geldings, in general, seem to go for higher prices then the mares do. How does the spring auction compare to this auction, price wise?

Mares can certainly go for 100k euros or more, athough typically the best stallions or geldings are higher. There are frequently nice rideable mares for reasonable prices, but also the same with geldings. At an elite auction, most of the "regular" rideable but not amazing gait horses will go in the 18k - 30k euro range, and anything with better gaits will be 30-70k, and the "favorites" frequently above that. I think the elite auctions are pretty similar in price from spring to fall, but the regular mixed auctions the horses are cheaper.

My favorites of those with videos are Rybek (Royal Hit-Don Schufro) and Fergonn (Florencio - Hill Hawk xx).

I couldn't be happier with my mare Royal Coeur that I bought at the April elite auction. She is really top class and I got lucky to get her at a very fair price. The thing with auctions is that depending on who is interested in the horse, you sometimes get lucky. The better horses sometimes go for less money because something was not right for the big spender (or they had already bought their allotment of horses), and on the other hand if you like a horse that the "big boys or girls" are after, it will go likely for more than you can afford and sometimes more than it should.
    Last edited by mmt; Sep. 21, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks for the info!

I am only interested in mares at this point, no boys. I am in love with Shirley M (Sandro Hit-Rohdiamont) and Samba Queen (Sir Donnderhall-Lord Liberty) but also like Grazie (Samarant-Don Gregory) and Location (Londonderry-Feiner Stern).

Quote Originally Posted by mmt View Post
    I couldn't be happier with my mare Royal Coeur that I bought at the April elite auction. She is really top class and I got lucky to get her at a very fair price. The thing with auctions is that depending on who is interested in the horse, you sometimes get lucky. The better horses sometimes go for less money because something was not right for the big spender (or they had already bought their allotment of horses), and on the other hand if you like a horse that the "big boys or girls" are after, it will go likely for more than you can afford and sometimes more than it should.
    MMT, I had the same auction experience at Vechta too. The filly that I wanted was auctioned right after the 70,000 euro auction favorite colt and by the time the applause for him had died down, no one really noticed that the next horse (my filly) had been sold. I got a good price, not a bargain basement price, but I don't think that if she had been one of the 1st 10 or so that I would have gotten her.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

So, I went to the presentation last night. Many nice horses! Starlight is a lovely sweet boy.

My favorites after seeing them in person (in no respective order and for different reasons) were number 3, 6 , 11, 16 and for the mares 2,4, 30 and 51. I am typing from memory so hopefully didn't miss any.

There are many others that looked like wonderful amateur horses, good gaits, good character, easy to train for sport.

Quote Originally Posted by mmt View Post
    My favorites after seeing them in person (in no respective order and for different reasons) were number 3, 6 , 11, 16 and for the mares 2,4, 30 and 51. .
    LOL, those were my favorites for the mares as well! I just went from names instead of numbers.

At least I know I have a good eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypony View Post
    Thanks for the info!

I am only interested in mares at this point, no boys. I am in love with Shirley M (Sandro Hit-Rohdiamont) and Samba Queen (Sir Donnderhall-Lord Liberty) but also like Grazie (Samarant-Don Gregory) and Location (Londonderry-Feiner Stern).
    Based on bloodlines only, for a broodmare prospect, I would favor Location. Londonderry is a very good broodmare sire (as is Feiner Stern) and you would have a lot more possibilities in terms of matches for that mare than you would with an S, D or even an R line mare (and I say that as someone who has a lot of both in my barn).

Hi All,
    Well, we're down to the wire. The auction is in an hour and a half. The Gala Evening show was fantastic last night. One of the best I've ever seen. It was packed too!

Starlight looked awesome so it will be an exciting opening! They had a wonderful demonstration by Michelle Gibson riding Diamante Farm's stallion, Don Angelo, and then gave a tribute to the United States by having everyone stand for our national anthem sung by a soloist standing in the spotlight next to Michelle and Don Angelo.

It was also Uwe's 30th anniversary of doing auctions and it was quite a party for him. I have a few pics up, but I'll get more video clips etc. up in the next week.

is there a live feed this morning?

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I don't see it listed on the ClipMyHorse schedule. Someone told me earlier this year that Oldenburg was suspending live feeds due to the economy - they are hugely expensive to run.

Starlight sold for 170,000 Euro. #2 for 47,000 Euro.

Who bought Starlight?

Not sure who bought Starlight.

#3 - 36,000 Euro
    #4 - 53,000 Euro to Cananda. Heard this was the sweetest horse in the Auction.
    #6 - 105,000 Euro

#11 505,000 Euro to Andreas H.!!!!

good looking prices!!
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Nancy, Thanks for the info! Is it really true? #11 sold for 505.000E! How exciting. I happen to own his half sister "LaHabanara" by Lord Sinclair. My favorite horse. The full brother sold to the US last year and Christina Vinios purchased Don Primeurs full sister last October. Three of Carmelitas offspring are in the states. The breeder and owner of DonPrimeur , Arnold Wegbuender, must be walking on air! I know the feeling. A horse of a lifetime!

I am sorry that Starlight didn't bring a bigger price. Someone got a super buy! I have two Starlight fillies and they are both exceptional.

www.huntingtonfarm.com

Yeah, the Oldenburg team just threw the Financial Crisis out the window!! Top price as Nancy said was Don Primeur for 505,000 to Helgestrand in Denmark. Big fight between Sweden, Sissi Max-T, and Denmark. They said all the top trainers and riders in Europe had their eye on him. The average price record was broken too. 43,000+!

Starlight sold to sponsors of Julia-Katharina von Platen that has been successfully riding Grand Prix with the stallion Capuccino. The sponsors have a young daughter who is 18, good up and coming young rider. She was in tears in Starlight's stall after they won the bid.

They were of course a little dissapointed in the price, but the feeling was that over here they want to see a 9 year old a little more confirmed in the Grand Prix than Starlight is. Everyone was super impressed with his quality though. It's also just luck sometimes.

Anyways, It's very late, and I'm going to sleep. I have a few pics from the day up at www.oldenburghorse.com, and will have much more very soon!

who is going to have the For Compliment filly ???
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

With a few exceptions, the prices on the foals seemed low. After deducting the costs of the auction, can’t imagine the breeders were all too happy. My heart really didn’t stop for any of the foals, but some of those broodmares (in the background) were lovely.