The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Where to find used Saddlebred Saddles?

Hi!
    We have a friend that is looking for used Saddlebred Saddles. Does anyone have any idea as to where we should suggest she look? Thank you for your help!

What kind of saddlebred saddles? I found my lane fox cutback (saddleseat saddle) on craigslist.

Try www.trot.org for their classifieds (I think they call it extended trot) or try evilbay and search for "lane fox" saddles
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

depends on the discipline-hunt seat, saddle seat, or western? I have a Lane Fox for my EP horse and a Crosby for HS and a Billy Cook for my WP horse. I got them all at various horse show related tack sales.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Call World Champion. They have a VAST stock of used stuff that they don't advertise... rows and rows piled up...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Smile

They are looking for a 19" Shively MMX saddle. They said it was for a 4 year old child. That sounds big to me, but I don't know anything about Saddlebreds. Any ideas?

Default Check with Hartmeyers Saddlery...

In Muncie, IN. They are huge into saddleseat and should have saddles, including used ones....
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
    http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

A Shively MMX for a 4 year old? Lucky kid.

19" is the smallest the major saddle manufacurers typically make, though you'll find though 17" saddles here and there (World's Champion Horse Equipment and National Bridle Shop both carry them).

I agree with WarAdmiral... call World's Champion and see what they have. They usually have an extensive collection of used saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by juniormom View Post
    They are looking for a 19" Shively MMX saddle. They said it was for a 4 year old child. That sounds big to me, but I don't know anything about Saddlebreds. Any ideas?
    A 19" saddle seat saddle is equivalent to a 15" hunt saddle, plus a Shively will have adjustable stirrup bars that in effect make it so you can make the "seat" even smaller by moving the stirrup leather back further.

In addition to World Champion there is Terry Bennett's Tack, Show Horse Tack, and Hartmeyer's- you should be able to find websites and contact info for all with a search.

Quote Originally Posted by juniormom View Post
    Wowie, 19" is actually a little big for a 4 year old... I'm guessing this is for leadline classes or something? A 17" or smaller would be better, though a bit harder to find. I had a 19" probably once I was 11 and used it until I was close to full grown and got a 21" to replace it (I'm 5"8'). 21" tends to be pretty typical (like a 17-17.5 for jumping and dressage saddles) for adults. I was lucky enough to have a tiny little flat saddle when I first started out, but my grandma got it on loan from an old horse friend, and we gave it back when I outgrew it.

For a 4 year old, I'd also rethink getting a Shively unless they are made of money. If they're made of money, those are lovely equitation saddles (one of the better flat saddles as far as putting you in place goes), so go for it. I'd also discuss with local horse friends and trainers and see if anyone has a small saddle that one of their kids has outgrown. A 19" will be okay, but the child will swim in it even with adjustable stirrup bars.

The above recommendations for stores were good, and I'd also check out ebay. I'm not sure how knowledgeable your friends are, but if they aren't, I'd have a trainer or knowledgeable saddle seat friend help them pick something out. Again, spreading the word at some ASB shows that a tiny tot saddle is needed would probably be a very very good place to start.

Oh, and trot.org has a saddlebred focused discussion forum that will probably have a lot more people with old tiny flat saddles laying around, if you want to point them in that direction = )

Christy Parker of Pine Haven Stables (http://www.phstables.com/) had a used 19" MMX for sale (along with a 19" Whitman Crabtree) a few weeks ago so you could check that out. I would highly recommend at least getting a saddle with adjustable bars since they are more on demand (so easier to sell) and the non adjustable stirrup bars especially on lower quality saddles are not placed in a useful position. They are usually way too forward than higher quality saddles which can cause the undesired chair seat. There is a list of used saddle sites on the For Sale page of the Saddle Seat Equitation website (http://regaljada.tripod.com/saddlese...ation/id5.html).

Actually, I have *2* Lane Fox cutback saddles for sale. Both are 19" seats, one is an equitation seat (so a bit more "snug/secure"). That one is a lightly used Courbette brand (back when Courbette made a Lane Fox saddleseat saddle). The other is a more obscure brand, but still well made (not Argentine made, etc).

PM me if you would be interested in more details

Oops. Sorry - missed that they specifically want an MMX.