The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thought for the day....

I spent time getting in touch with my inner dressage queen today and had some great dressage rides on Vernon and the BFG. All that was missing were 4 white polos.

But, at some point during my ride on the BFG, while doing a bombing extended canter down the long side, I let loose a big "Yahoo!!!!" I asked my riding companions if you were allowed to do that in dressage. Do DQs ever just let rip a big "Weeeeeee" when their horse does something big, and powerful, and fun, or was that just the event rider in me fighting back to the surface?

maybe you should post this in the dressage section. but somehow i can't imagine any dressage queen doing that. hahaha. if she did i would probably be a bit afraid of her, but it's totally normal for event riders to do that. also, what does BFG stand for??

BFG = Big Fancy Grey...he's one of my all time favorite horses. But, now I realize that he is no longer the biggest of our greys (and he's really not all that big, anyway, at 16.1). He is still the fanciest, though, especially when he rockets down the long side.

I can't really imagine a true DQ whooping in the fun of it all...but it also seems weird that an event rider would be having that much fun doing dressage, too.

I remember Jimmy Wofford writing about watching Anky schooling Salinero by herself prior to some big competition. And the horse did something really fancy and did it well, and he said Anky let out a squeal of delight and praised him enthusiastically.

So yeah, I'd say the DQs do it, and I love that! (I do it, too, and am certainly no DQ.)

When alone, or schooling with close friends..."outside" voice is ok. But, in public, all self-respecting DQs use "inside" voice.

But, I do feel that Aunt Esther would have the definitive word on this...

Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!