The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Smart Control IR - anyone using it?

Do you like it for your IR/Cushings horses?

I'm not completely comfortable with Libbey's supplement program and I'm thinking of switching her. Would like to hear feedback on this from others with experience.

Thank you

Love it. My vet recommended that we try it on my horse who has IR and another old arab at the barn with IR. Both of their insulin levels have stabilized. We also switched to low starch feed, off of senior. My guy also has thyroid issues (thyroid tumor), so we are pretty diligent about frequent blood tests. We threw in the IR after the other horse started having issues and were frankly not suprised that my old guy had issues too. and by old-my guy is 26 and the other one is 27. But both are looking great.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I like it. My mare is pre-IR (no Cushings) and when I started her on it at the beginning of summer, she lost weight and her neck lost some of the crestyness. I ran out in the beginning of August and haven't reordered. I can tell a difference now...her neck has gotten a little more cresty again and she looks a little rounder overall. Will restart soon. I will say that she is picky and was not a big fan of the powdered form...when I get it this time, I will go with the pelleted.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Tank's been on it now for about 6 months. I went with the powdered version because it dissolves in her soaked beet pulp easily.

She's been very stable metabolically and is maintaining an absolute perfect weight.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Well... I think it's helping my mare, but lately she's decided she doesn't want to eat it.

Has anyone tried the pelleted version? Wonder if she'd like that better. I can't understand WHY she doesn't like it! It smells heavenly!!!

Wow, great reports. I went ahead and ordered it! I got the powder because Libs will eat anything that doesn't eat her first. She'll lick bute out of your hand. And she does get beet pulp, so it won't be a problem to throw it in there.

She's doing so awesome, I want to get her back under saddle, but just feel like her supplement program isn't 100%, and she could be "all that much better" if I could get it nailed down right. This might be worth a shot.

You guys like this stuff better than the Quiessence or whatever?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

BR, IME Quiessence sucks. I had my mare on a double dose of it and it did nothing. She's now maintaining just fine on a half-dose of epsom salts.

I've not used Smart-IR though. Mare does just fine on epsom salts, especially in FL where our grass is far from lush.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    You guys like this stuff better than the Quiessence or whatever?
    You can't compare two totally different products. Quiessence is just Magnesium and Chromium. Smartcontrol IR has a WHOLE lot more than that in there. I have a stallion the responds beautifully to Quiessence with his crestiness and fat pads reducing. Also calms him down though he doesn't really need it. I put a mare of mine on 4 ounces a day for a LONG time and never saw a bit of difference. So it depends on the horse. I'm going to get some of the Smartcontrol IR for my mare though and see if that makes a difference.

I knew they weren't the same, but the goal is the same so I was just wondering if people had a preference or had noticed different results.

I'm going to try the SmartControl...ordering the smartpaks now.

ETA: I ordered the pelleted because my fatty mc fat fat does not need grain. I use the pelleted selenium vita E crumbles and that works well too...no grain necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    fatty mc fat fat
    (tea on keyboard!)

I feel guilty calling the old mares pork-n-bean, and buffalo blondie, but I guess it's true.

I say it in a loving way so I don't think she's offended.

Default Quiessence and Target IR are quite different

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    BR, IME Quiessence sucks. I had my mare on a double dose of it and it did nothing. She's now maintaining just fine on a half-dose of epsom salts.

I've not used Smart-IR though. Mare does just fine on epsom salts, especially in FL where our grass is far from lush.

Target IR is very similar to Balance EQ, much more so than Quiessence.
    And neither contain Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) which are also quite different. I'm glad your horse responds to Epsom salts, not all horses do. Some respond to Quiessence, some need more than just the magnesium/chromium and those respond well to Balance EQ and Target IR, which are equivalent.
    It all depends on exactly what is wrong with the horse and what else the horse is getting. No one solution fits all horses.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com