The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bates Caprelli, Stubben Edelweiss?

Any opinions on either A/P saddle? Saddle fitter came out and the used Berney Bros I bought isn't "ideal". Tree is too curved and a bit too wide. He was able to flock it temporarily until I get another saddle. He felt the two I named would be a better fit for my horse and still have the features I want (A/P, more forward flaps) I want to eventually jump in it lightly, but mostly do flatwork, hacking out. I'm on the hunt for used!

I have a Bates Caprilli A/P. I love it, have jumped up to 3 ft in it with no problem and feel I could easily go higher if I wanted without issue. It definately has a more forward flap than most A/P I have seen. To me it sort of seems like a CC with a deep seat.

Everyone who I have let ride in it has found it comfortable (enough so to remark on it). I got mine used from a local tack store, but have seen some on eBay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...y/IMG_3963.jpg Here is a picture of it on my mare.
    The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting has been postponed again.

I've had both, and really wouldn't consider either a true A/P. Both are more as DF described them - deep seated CCs.

LOVED both of them. I only sold the Stubben because it didn't fit my youngster. Bought the Caprilli for the adjustable gullet, and it ended up fitting me better than the Stubben did. I felt comfortable and secure in both, but can sit up better in the Caprilli.

ETA: The newer Bates seem to fit the rider very differently than the older ones; Mine is like the one in DF's picture.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Thanks for the pic! That really helps. My gelding's back is very similar actually so his recommendation looks right on target.

He also mentioned a Stubben "Artiss"? can't find such a thing...anyone heard of that? Maybe "artist??"

I've ridden the Bates AP and it was really comfortable. Very nice saddle. That would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    Thanks for the pic! That really helps. My gelding's back is very similar actually so his recommendation looks right on target.

He also mentioned a Stubben "Artiss"? can't find such a thing...anyone heard of that? Maybe "artist??"
    The Stubben Artus was an awesome saddle. They quit making it a few years ago, unfortunately. I think the Camelot came out around the same time and was similar. The Edelweiss is the model that they kept out of those three.

Default Stubben Edelweiss Saddle

I loved my edelweisses. I had an old style one and a new one -- neither fit my current horse so I had to go with another brand. But I was really sad about it. They hold up wonderfully and are SOOOOO comfortable and balanced. I did not like the bates when I had it on trial -- the twist was too wide and the seat too shallow for my personal taste.

Ride in both, then decide Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AliBus View Post
    I did not like the bates when I had it on trial -- the twist was too wide and the seat too shallow for my personal taste.

Ride in both, then decide Good luck!!!
    That was my problem with the newer ones! The one I have is about 10 years old from the looks of it...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I had an Edelweiss for a while, and it was definitely a jumping saddle, not an AP. It held up really well, and fit my horse well, but the flap was really just too small for me.

You can probably find a used one dirt cheap, because I didn't get much for mine when I sold it

I have the Edelweiss Delux NT and I love it. It has a narrow twist, short points and a half deep seat. It is not an AP saddle - definitely a jumping saddle. Apparently, there is a big difference between the old Edelweiss and the new ones they call the NT. I really recommend the one I have.

I have a Stubben Edeweiss NT and a Bates Caprilli CC. I loved the Stubben, but my horse outgrew it. I felt really secure in it and just love the leather. It still breaks my heart that I can't use it on my horse anymore

I decided to go with the Bates only because I wasn't sure how much more my horse was going to change and I didn't want to have to keep buying saddles. I do like the Bates saddle and I think my horse enjoys the Cair panels. I am hoping that with time the leather will be as nice as the Stubben's. I have only had it for a couple of months and my horse has been off for some of that time.

I love my Bates Caprilli - it is very comfortable for me and my horse. It's funny, a good friend of mine (and an experienced rider) came over and rode with me and she thought my caprilli felt like she was riding on a banana - but I absolutely love it.