The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ride in a 3.5 flap Butet?

I am looking at a Butet with a 3.5 flap, which, as I understand is an extra long forward. I haven't sat in it yet and need to drive a way to do so...so any feedback as to just how long and forward this flap is will be helpful. If it's going to be too long/forward I won't even make the drive. Thanks for the feedback. :-)

My daughter rides in an Antares with a 4AB flap (extra long and forward toward the bottom of the saddle flap). The only shaped saddle pad that fits her saddle is one I ordered from Beval that is made for the Butet's in size 17 with a 3.5 forward flap size. My daughter is 5'7" with long legs.
    Horsezee

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I am comfortable in a 3.5 flap. I'm 5'7", 21" from knee to floor and something like 23" from hip to knee. I prefer a 2.5 flap because I like to ride in a flap that's a little shorter, but your mileage may vary on that one.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

That's a seriously big flap! If I didn't have incredibly long legs, I'd pass. Both because most people will swim in the saddle, and because that much flap may not fit on every horse.

...I thought it would be too long. Ugh. You find a good deal and you want to force it to work, even when you know it won't, right? Oh well. Thanks for the feedback, all. :-)

The 3.5 flap is huge, I ride in the 2.5 long which is the in between of the 2.5 and the 3.5 and I am 5'9" and all leg.
    Riverdale

That's a flap for both long thighs and long calfs. Take a look at your legs. For example, my thigh is extremely long, so I need a forward flap. However, my calf is slightly long, but not long enough for a long flap (in a addition to forward). Additionally, my stirrup bars are set back to accommodate my thigh length. I also had to order my seat a 1/2" bigger because of the set back stirrup bars. If I hadn't gone to all this trouble, my thigh hangs over the flap, even on a forward.

If you have average length of leg, this saddle is not for you. To get an idea if it would work, measure your thigh where it joins your torso down the front to the middle of your knee. If it's long, (I'd say 15" or better, mine's 23"), you probably need a forward flap. Measure your calf from the middle of your knee to the top of your foot. If it's more than 17", then you probably need a long flap. These are just estimates, but it should give you an idea if you should make the trip.

You don't need more boot on your saddle than on the horse.