The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best casual jacket for riding in the winter rain?

I'm going to be doing most of my riding outdoors this winter in the PNW so I need recommendations for a semi-warm/breathable/waterproof jacket. I checked out REI last night but was boggled by all the different styles. Is it better to stick to a horsey brand? I would like to stay under $100 if possible. thanks.

Default Ariat Vechta

It may be more than you want to spend. I have a slightly older Ariat waterproof jacket (black with rust piping trim). I forgot what model it but it was not called the Vechta.

http://www.ariat.com/products_detail...d=139&pid=7116

http://www.bobmicklers.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=314236!ARI

My Ariat jacket been great at repelling rain, keeping me dry and at the same time not sweating up while you ride in it. Plus the back of the jacket is a little longer to cover your "bum" . I even wear it work on days when its a downpour. I've recieved alot of compliments on it. Yes I did spend more than I normally would have wanted to but it's been a good investment.

Google and you might rind an on-line retailer having a sale on it

The best all-around jacket I have ever worn is the Mountain Horse Arena Jacket. It is just warm enough to take the chill out, waterproof, windproof, breathable. It even has a nice handy pocket int he sleeve for a treat or your keys. That runs about $150, but you may be able to find it on sale.

Another one is the Minstral jacket. I almost got it, but I opted for the Arena instead. The Misntral is longer and a little bit heavier, so that might be better for you. That one is about $110 IIRC.

If you are talking about Winter RAIN versus Winter SNOW or BLIZZARD or TUNDRA, I'm guessing you're probably down south.

Whenever I look for barn/riding jackets, I look for Mountain Horse. They just have little details like riding vents on the back of the longer jackets, curved sleeves to avoid extra bulk in the elbow area, and last forever!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

REI sells some of the lightweight north face jackets for about 70-90$, and LLBean's Trail Model Rainwear runs about 60$, and holds up well. If you want something heavier, Bean's stormchaser jacket is warmer and still meets your price point. Going to a more technical outlayer (like Goretex) will cost more - but you may prefer it. I find that the REIs and LL Bean's of the world make better true outdoor wear than the riding compnies, and the pricing is usually much better. 'Course, you won't have a little horse logo, and you might not get a drawstring around the waist, but if you can live with that ...

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    REI sells some of the lightweight north face jackets for about 70-90$, and LLBean's Trail Model Rainwear runs about 60$, and holds up well. If you want something heavier, Bean's stormchaser jacket is warmer and still meets your price point. Going to a more technical outlayer (like Goretex) will cost more - but you may prefer it. I find that the REIs and LL Bean's of the world make better true outdoor wear than the riding compnies, and the pricing is usually much better. 'Course, you won't have a little horse logo, and you might not get a drawstring around the waist, but if you can live with that ...
    What she said. You will always get cheaper, more breathable, more waterproof gear from an outdoor company.

I have a Kerrits jacket that I love and got for I think $50. It's their waterproof one. However, I'm a rock climber and LOVE the Marmot Precip! I've worn mine at soooo many events where we ended up getting flooded out and I have NEVER been wet underneath! It's lightweight, dries fast... Great jacket for the price, which is around $100... but you can get last season's for $60
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

Get a Barbour...hands down, the best. Will last you for years and years. Mine is going on 20 years. It needed a new zipper once and has been re-waxed from time to time, but that's it.
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    ditto GotSpots for going to North Face and L.L. Bean...I have various products from those two retailers (shorts: 28+yrs, tent: 29+ yrs, jackets 23-20 yrs) still going strong. downside to their clothing is that if you are small, their size 4s will swallow you...

Today I rode in the nonstop heavy drizzle (I just love September in GA - grows grass = fewer $$ spent in hay, but ....BUT!!!!) in my Ariat rainjacket and my dirty - sorry, but true - ariat breeches bought for $15 online...

still have to go buy $13.00/bale hay for Rasta...gotta RFI - outta here!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I loved my REI brand jacket (and I don't recall it being that expensive -though I did buy it in '02) - I rode all over Ireland in it, and because the weather varied daily, the other riders were constantly taking off and putting on their jackets. All I did was zip or unzip along the side or under the arms. People who ski really know weather. Lost the darn coat at a horse show, and have never found one I like as much. (Though the cheap thing I bought at Walmart to replace it lasted a good long time - and has a cool reflective stripe so I am visible walking the dog at night.)

My favorite feature on a rain coat is the zip under the arms so when it's muggy, you still get air.

I got the Dover brand (Riding Sport) 5-in-1 jacket last year on clearance for about $75, and I love that thing. Full price is twice that, but check Dover's clearance section.

I had received a very lightweight REI rain jacket from my dad as a present, but I think it was intended for biking, and was not long enough or breathable enough, plus there was no room underneath for bulky layers.

I used the 5-in-1 all last winter and into the spring, with and without the vest/jacket (yes, I'm in FL, but we had some early mornings where it was in the 20's!). It's very comfortable, breathable, and thoughtfully designed.

Default Kerrits

I love my Kerrits stuff, their jackets are very attractive & functional. I once had a dressage judge ask me where I got my "rain" show coat ( Kerrits), she certainly noticed how nice it looked in the foul weather....