The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Intro to eventing clinic

So, awhile back, I know there were a few Intro to Eventing clinics going on in various places. We are talking about having one here in a couple of weeks, but need some help getting a format together, as well as a flyer. Anyone have any of the old promo stuff left? I'd really appreciate any info anyone has, as well as any suggestions. We are aiming this at folks that have never evented before and would like to give it a shot. We are thinking of doing part of it unmounted, part of it mounted. Going over equipment, position, basic rules, format, pace, etc...
    What do you think?

We did an unmounted session where we discussed eventing and the rules and the what not.

Then DD rode around and did various demos from position to pace to jumping technique to what not.

Then we had two groups ride, the ones who had jumped, and then the ones who had never jumped.

Questios and answers all during, very low key and casual. They could stop and ask at any time.

They were great, it was fun, and some of them are planning to give eventing a whirl.

These were mosty 4H kids and their parents.

Oh and for the jumping, the ones who had some experience started in the sand ring with sj and then went to our xc field and jumped sj on grass, going up and down a slight slope, went up and over a hill, galloped, cantered actually, in the open, etc.

The ones who had never jumped did all the same stuff, but with poles on the ground. Some only walked and trotted.

Everyone was laughing and having great fun. Some were very surprised that their horses didn't steer when there was no fence to turn them!

Our youngest rider was 6 and the oldest was closer to 60.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

My friend and I did a couple of these clinics at one point in time. We usually just did a day of unmounted, but included coursewalks and such. One we did at a barn and the 2nd day she did lessons so it was kind of unmounted/mounted. We covered EVERYTHING in these clinics (which is why it took a whole day):
    -- Alphabet Soup -- USEA, USEF, FEI, etc.
    -- Officials and Who's Who -- TD, PoJG, Course Designers, Organizers, Volunteers, etc.
    -- Equipment -- Legal vs not-Legal, as well as suggestions on what TO have at home as well as at an event
    -- Entering the Event -- handed out a copy of an omnibus listing and an entry form and went through what to put where to fill it out correctly!!
    -- Phases -- what to expect, what you need to do. Ie: we had copies of a couple dressage tests, XC course maps and SJ course maps. Talked about how the 3 phases related to one another and for jumping, the different types of obstacles and how to ride them. During the XC portion, if available, we walked an XC course and talked about the obstacles and what question it asked.
    -- Scoring
    -- After the event -- things to do as you leave, things to do as you get home, etc.

It was fairly well received when we did them. I think we did 2 or 3 total over a couple years. Used a lot of handouts. I have done some technical teaching in the past as my job so this wasn't THAT far off. Had fun doing it, but there is some work to it.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I'd love to have an unmounted clinic. That's brilliant. I need to learn all that stuff!
    Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

Since they were USEA led, I expect someone at the USEA has the syllabus. Try Nancy or Jennifer.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Since they were USEA led, I expect someone at the USEA has the syllabus. Try Nancy or Jennifer.
    Ours weren't. We used USEA clinic insurance and mailing lists, but we came up with the concept, syllabus and handouts all on our own.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Thanks for the input so far-I think I'll give the USEA a call tomorrow, see if someone has a syllabus. That's a good idea. We have a few weeks before the actual clinic, but a big local show this weekend that we need to get a flyer up for. So, I need ideas for a flyer. Ideas for who to target-we are restarting a local pony club, so that's obvious. We also have an IHSA team that I can see getting into it. There a quite a few DQ's, and maybe a few wanna be Hunter types, very active 4-H groups....Hmmmm, never done this kind of thing before, and really would like to have a good turnout. Also, what is a good price to charge for a full day clinic of this type? We were thinking $60ish?

PM Grady on this BB. She put together the fantastic "intro to eventing" clinics held in our area of GA with advanced rider Mary Bess Sigman...the USEA helped a great deal to make it all work. The sessions were low key but focused on what a particular rider/horse combo were assessed to need to "get their feet wet" in eventing in a very real way. Mary Bess did an amazing job of evaluation then teaching...both clinics had everyone learning and laughing and wanting lots more...

good luck with yours. But do PM Grady - she can steer you towards the right folks at the USEA, as well as help you organize .
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Many years ago my brother and I went to an intro clinic with Sally O'Connor. On
    Saturday Sally went over rules, discussed the dressage test as someone rode a demo, walked the show jumping course, and walked the cross country course. On Sunday, participants came back and rode all three phases as a horse trial. The actual horse trial the second day was a real reinforcement of the didactic presentation. Of course, there were fewer rules and organizations to go over way back then (late 1970's).