The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle cover for 18 inch saddle, where to find?

Anyone knows where I can find a nice saddlecover, one that drapes the saddle, not one that has this stretchy material, that will fit an 18 inch saddle?

I like the ones Pelham Saddlery has up, but they are only listed for up to a 17,5 inch saddle.
    I googled, but didn't seem to find much. Any ideas mucho appreciated .

I need one too. Mine would also need to fit the xtra long flaps of the Stubben. The saddle came with the one, but I want to keep it nice incase I ever sell the saddle. NO - I don't sew so following the instructions off a website won't work.

Same here, long flaps .
    I bought my saddle new too, but sadly came without a cover.

I got nice custom covers made by Carnafeagh tack via eBay a few years back. They are waterproof, fleece lined and have custom embroidery, the dressage cover fit my 18' long flap Passier.
    http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Carnafea...34Q2ec0Q2em322
    Fair and kind, but with authority... - Jennie Loriston-Clarke

They had some gorgeous ones at Dressage at Lexington with breed logos, but I'll be darned if I can figure out who they were! I'm competing at GAIGs just to get one!!

Trumbull Mt has really really nice fleece ones but they have a sturdy elastic in them.

There are some patterns to sew your own cover, should you be inclined. And are not too complicated of a project. That way you can pick out material, color, etc. Also, a local seamstress/taylor might do the job for a reasonable price.

Dover Saddlery also has some zip-type, lined dressage bags. I bet if you called their warehouse, someone could get the specific measurements of the dressage bag for you.
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” ~Pam Brown

Thumbs up SmartPak

I would contact SmartPak. I was just speaking with someone there about the fact that everybody (not really, but had to make a point) rides in an 18" drssage saddle and it's hard to find covers and special pads. I needed one of those lift front pads for Emily as she is going through a little growth spurt and a Mattes correction pad is not in my budget. Someone actually went into the warehouse and measured the different pads for me. That is what I call customer service. Call SmartPak and ask for a manager. I am sure they can get something made for you. They are fantastic!
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGelding View Post
    Dover Saddlery also has some zip-type, lined dressage bags. I bet if you called their warehouse, someone could get the specific measurements of the dressage bag for you.
    I have one from Dover - it does fit the 18" saddle. Not the long flaps and I find that it really is a pain to unzip/zip everytime I ride.

I looked on the Trumbell Mtn site and didn't see covers, is this something they carry only in the store?

Quote Originally Posted by mscris View Post
    I have one from Dover - it does fit the 18" saddle. Not the long flaps and I find that it really is a pain to unzip/zip everytime I ride.

I looked on the Trumbell Mtn site and didn't see covers, is this something they carry only in the store?
    I agree 100% about thr Dover zip bag. My long flaps are very tough to get in.
    Beth