The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Woof Exo Vest Users

I've read all the posts on various cross country vests and because I've broken my ribs now 3 times falling in my Tipperary Phoenix vest (this vest is more like the Aerowear vest than the lace up Tipperary's as it has no laces), I'm thinking I might be better off to get a Woof Exo vest.

So, you folks like Rayers and Gnep who have them, what do you think? Have you fallen off while wearing your Exo? If so, do it feel just like falling off with a regular vest or does the "skeleton" make it hurt more in places.

Also, did the measurements you took exactly fit one of the sizes listed for the vest and where did you buy them.

Thanks mucho,
    Mary in western NY where I can't ride with my recently broken rib.

I've fallen once in mine and thought it was cool -hey I could do that again! Definitely more protection -now owies from the fall

My measurements matched with a standard size and the vest fits fine though it is difficult to get on and off by myself.

Got mine from Buttons Saddlery UK.

Default Woof Exo

Thanks Cuonxc,

I'm riding a bunch of young horses and expect that I will be on the ground a bit. Glad that the exo kept you from getting hurt.

Mary

Red face oh wow

Quote Originally Posted by Black Points View Post
    Thanks Cuonxc,

I'm riding a bunch of young horses and expect that I will be on the ground a bit. Glad that the exo kept you from getting hurt.

Mary
    Your welcome!

Just put 2 & 2 together (Black Points & NY) I LOVE TILLY!!!!!! big fan here!

OK...back to vests

I was no where near fitting any of the sizes offered. Disappointing but I'm looking into an airbag with the newer faster deploy mechanism plus I wear a Rodney Powell vest. Very nice. For the nasty rotational crush injuries I think the exo s the only hope you have.

I haven't fallen in my EXO.

The cage hangs away from your body so I can't see it hurting you when you fall.

Just curious -- how is it that you've broken ribs in three separate incidents in what seems like a relatively short time period?

And riderboy, did you see the rider at Burghley whose airbag deployed very nicely after she hit the ground? Not very useful at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I haven't fallen in my EXO.

The cage hangs away from your body so I can't see it hurting you when you fall.

Just curious -- how is it that you've broken ribs in three separate incidents in what seems like a relatively short time period?

And riderboy, did you see the rider at Burghley whose airbag deployed very nicely after she hit the ground? Not very useful at that point.
    JER: Yes, I did. The video was crummy so I couldn't tell exactly when it popped but that would not be not very useful! They were apparently designed for motorcyclists who have lower and faster falls and it would be interesting to hear how they are working in that arena. I am looking at the newest model which has a faster deploy time also, but I wo uld think the Burghley riders had them,I don't know. I'd love an EXO but there's no chance of a proper fit for a guy like me.

Default Ribs and Tilly

JER, I didn't mean to imply that I broke my ribs 3x recently. The first was in 96, the second in 99 and the last this past Labor Day.

Cuonxc, Glad you were/are a fan of Tilly Go Bragh. She was really a jumping machine with John Williams. They did Rolex in 97 and made XC look easy. Unfortunately, she had an old (like we never knew about it till 95 and she must have done it as a yearling) hind sesamoid fracture which made her uneven for the jog on day 3 so didn't get to do stadium. Anyhow she is 21 now and doing well...gave me 4 very nice babies.

Sounds like the exo vest is what I need as I don't plan to quit riding anytime soon.

Mary in western NY