The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me choose a bit for a foxhunter pretending to be an eventer

Hello!

I have posted before I am a hunt seat rider dipping my toes into the eventing world. Sadly the pony that introduced me to eventing is lame the week before our clinic this weekend. So I'll be taking a school horse, he is a foxhunter by training but makes an excellent school mount.

He doesn't bend laterally but does go "round" but not correctly. So dressage is going to be a laugh but thats ok, we're just doing it for fun. Show-jumping is going to be interesting as this horse (a "fluffy", 15.2h, QH) does have a stop with a timid rider but I don't think I'll have too much difficultly with him as long as I ride persuasively. XC won't be bad at all since he has jumped all the BN fences out in the Field and likes going out, but I'll have some baby spurs and a crop just in case we need some encouragement.

My question is as to what bit to put him in. He currently is in a Myler D comfort snaffle with a small port. He does get strong o/f and gets down hill or he curls up and loses all momentum (moving nearly backwards). Which this bit helps with both of these issues.

Are D-rings frowned upon? Would a plain o-ring be ok for the dressage and then a slow twist o-ring for the o/f and xc?

Thanks for reading my blabberings and if you can't tell I am so excited for this weekend!!
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

No expert here but my understanding is that ported bits are not OK for dressage, but fine for anything else. (In fact... in S/J and X/C, "anything goes" seems to be the policy. Only in dressage are there restrictions.)

I've never heard of anyone pooh=poohing a D-ring. My own mare, when she was eventing, went in a D-ring Myler Comfort Snaffle (no hooks, no port) for all three phases, or did dressage in that and the jumping phases in a short-shanked hackamore. She was pretty zoomy on X/C and needed brakes...