The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ukrainian ("Russian") warmbloods

Has anyone heard of the breed (aka Ukrainian saddle horse, Ukrainian riding horse or Ukraiinskaya Verhova)?

Mr. DZ told me that there is a demand for Russian warmbloods which -- like Russian mail order brides -- seems to be an umbrella term for warmbloods from anywhere in the former Soviet Union. He mentioned pony clubs as a source of that demand, but maybe that's not the only place.

Since I know all the folks involved in breeding, training etc. the Ukrainian warmbloods, and the economy is in the tank there, it occurred to me that importing some horses to the US could make for a nice little side business.

All of my previous horses were Ukrainian warmbloods. The last one I just loved to death and it broke my heart to leave him behind when I moved back to the US.

Any input is welcome.
    Last edited by dizzywriter; Sep. 15, 2009 at 08:56 PM.

bumping

I do not know anyone that is specifically looking for a warmblood from the former Soviet Union, but when I look at AnnaCrew's horses - I want one!

I have a "Russian Warmblood". We don't know his breeding but he has a 6 freeze branded into one side of his withers and what we think is a 12 on the other. He was a stallion for a while but a gelding when I got him. Trained in FEI dressage. We think born in 1988.

Alex Cheturba (Russian Olympic Jumping Team Coach) said he was most likely an Orlov Rostoptsin (sp?) Trakaner cross who was probably not from Russia but from the Ukraine or another old Soviet country. And a very well bred horse. He added that in the late 80s and early 90s a couple of large shipments of Soviet/Russian horses were imported to the US, which is most likely (again, really no clue) how my guy got here.

As for demand...My guy was a pretty hot horse in his teenage years (I can only imagine him in his youth) and not suited for Pony Club kids. Would I want another one...I don't know if I could have handled him in his youth but I sure loved his personality.

A lot of the "Russian" warmbloods were exported for pennies in the early 1990s because there was nothing to feed them during the post-Soviet economic crash (many more others were slaughtered).

In recent years, in Ukraine at least, exporting horses became a pretty big business. But many had their true provenance concealed. I was told that Ulla Salzgaber's Rusty was a "Russian" horse, though I may be wrong.

Maybe I should also post this in the Dressage forum since most of the Ukrainian ("Russian") warmbloods seem to be dressage horses.

They aren't really hot horses in the classic sense. None of my Ukrainian warmbloods were hot, and most of the horses at my old barn were Ukrainians. Some were simply gorgeous, talented animals. But sensible.

I ride a GP 1992 Russian WB. His tattoo (four letters/numers on his withers) traces to Kirow stud in Russia. He was imported to the US from Germany in 2006. We don't have a record of when he was moved from Russia to Germany. He's a lovely mover with a a lot of freedom in his shoulder. He really enjoys passage and gets very proud of himself and puffed up after he does it well. He is on the light boned side, and on the hotter end of the spectrum- but more sensitive than hot- never stupid. At shows, the most common thing that people mistake him for is a Trakehner.

Why would pony clubs be interested in specifically Russian warmbloods? And how are you going to "flip" a horse like that and make any profit? I thought importing was a minimum of $5000-$7500 just for shipping. I don't know of many pony clubbers who can afford that kind of money. I am sure that the horses are gorgeous but it seems a bit far fetched to think that someone can become a russian warmblood importer and make any money. Maybe I misunderstood the OP. It is early in the am.

Yes, Candy Allen who used to instruct and train here, imported a Ukranian stallion who she competed very successfully at GP. She imported him around 2003 or 2004, I think. The stallion's name is Tervet and I believe that she was also using him for breeding. Not sure.