The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question washing and drying my sheepskin hafpad??

Can you wash and dry a sheepskin halfpad?

Yes, you have to wash it on gentle in the wash machine or by hand using either Leather Therapy detergent or Melp. Don't put it in the dryer- just lay flat to dry then you can brush it when it's dry to fluff it up again.

Yup. Big old ditto to what LegalRagle said, with the caveat that I've also used Woolite.

I use Dreft to wash mine. whatever you do, don't put it in the dryer. It will be toast.

You mean like a Mattes or Fleeceworks? If so, I wash mine in cold water, regular cycle with half a cap of Woolite. Lay out to air dry. Never had a problem. As others have said, DON'T put it in the dryer, even on air. It will shrink.

I washed mine last week with a diluted solution of Basic H and water, scrubbed it with a curry and hung it up to dry. Presto.

I wash both my Mattes and my Circuit (Dover spin-off) in cold water on gentle cycle with Woolite. Then air dry for a couple days. I "fluff" the sheepskin about once a day until it's dry, otherwise it tends to mat down flat. No problems with either pad so far!
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I put my Mattes, Grand Prix, Dover, Roma's, and Fleeceworks in the washer with Woolite and Ahem..... I dry them too!!!!!! All is good so far and my halfies are pretty old now.

I toss them in the dryer on low heat or just air for 5-10 minutes, then let them air dry the rest of the way. This seems to suck out a lot of the hair and fluffs them up BEAUTIFULLY! I have Mattes correction pads and this hasn't damaged them at all.

I use Melp.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I use PePeDe. Like the other leather washes it puts the fat back in the leather part of the sheepskin. I also do a Max Extract cycle to get most of the water out of it, my washing machine has that option. However, do not do an extra rinse cycle, I thought I was being smart and did that and it rinsed out the conditioning left in the sheepskin. It air dried a bit crispy. Stupid me.

I apologize if this is hijacking (I hope it isn't), but does anyone know if the Thinline sheepskin pads are washable in the machine? The ones with the Thinline pad attached to them?
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Can I dry cleaned it??

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany! View Post
    Can I dry cleaned it??
    Yes.