The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: When you horse chews his/her hay. which way does his mandible move?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • start by moving to the left

8 72.73%
  • starts by moving to the right

0 0%
  • moves equally left or right

2 18.18%
  • moves only up and down

1 9.09%

Default Eating mechanics

When your horse eats hay how does the mandible move.

Starts by moving to the left most of the time

Starts by moving to the right most of the time

Switched between left and right

Only moves up and down
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Well, I have multiple horses, so....

I voted "starts moving left" because that's what my TB mare does and she has the most teeth issues. But, she also started out with REALLY crappy teeth when I got her as a rising 4yo. Really crappy. It took almost 3 years to get decent teeth, and they still are being worked on every 6 months - just fewer issues each time.

My WB gelding is pretty even, as in, switches directly frequently. His teeth reflect it, even though they are softer teeth than the mare's.

oops, forgot to make it a poll where you can vote multiple time....too stupid to edit it....

for multiple horses, just post!

thanks!

I think so, anyway.
    Click here before you buy.

Hey, I need more answers... n =4 isn't enough......

somebody else must love sitting around watching horses eat......

Foggy, if you could manage yet another poll, where you could make multiple choices, it woulc be *really* interesting to see if there is a change in how the horse chews based on whether it's grass, hay, or a concentrate. I think there is one, and that is largely an issue when it comes to tooth wear patterns - for better and for worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Foggy, if you could manage yet another poll, where you could make multiple choices, it woulc be *really* interesting to see if there is a change in how the horse chews based on whether it's grass, hay, or a concentrate. I think there is one, and that is largely an issue when it comes to tooth wear patterns - for better and for worse.
    It would, but since only you and deltawave responded to this one, I'm not sure we'd get any better answers!

What pattern are you seeing?

I guess I'll have to go look and see what they do on the grass, but it's been my impression that it's the same as with the hay....

I'm not feeding concentrates now so can't say (although I know the old mare likes to stuff as much food as possible into her mouth and then chew if she's getting grain, scary sometimes...)
    I think horses have a sidedness and I'm wondering if it corresponds to sidedness in the rest of the body...

for hay I have 4 left chewers and 2 right chewers (the right chewers are the easy keepers, but I don't think there is any connection, just coincidence...

couldn't vote multiple times so - - for the other two -

Horse #2 tends to chew to the right

Horse #3 tends to switch from left to right

Horse 1 is in mid-teens.

Horse 2 in in late teens.

Horse three is about 5 years old.

This is the researcher in me point this out: it is well established that external observation of movement such as watching a horse chew or a person walk has little indication of the internal muscle and joint mechanics happening. For instance watching a person walk you do not see the anterior/posterior sliding motion and medial/lateral rotation of the knee. All you see is the bending of the knee.

I bet there is work that has accurately described the mechanics of mastication in horses. I would look up equine dental research.

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    This is the researcher in me point this out: it is well established that external observation of movement such as watching a horse chew or a person walk has little indication of the internal muscle and joint mechanics happening. For instance watching a person walk you do not see the anterior/posterior sliding motion and medial/lateral rotation of the knee. All you see is the bending of the knee.

I bet there is work that has accurately described the mechanics of mastication in horses. I would look up equine dental research.

Reed
    LOL, I've been a researcher for a long time If it was real research, I wouldn't be posting a poll on an internet site

Maybe I should clarify. I'm not really interested in the mechanics of mastication, so perhaps the thread was not titled appropriately. Yes, there are certainly scholarly articles on the mechanics of chewing, but none that address my particular question. The research describes mastication occuring in a rotary pattern in the normal horse, this is well known. My experience has been that there is a definate sidedness to the chewing patterns, something easily seen by observation. My question has to do with the sideness of the chewing and whether it relates to sideness in the rest of the body. Also whether there really are horses that are even as has sometimes been described, but I have yet to see one, even those whose teeth are supposedly well balanced. Even those seem to have a side preference.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    couldn't vote multiple times so - - for the other two -

Horse #2 tends to chew to the right

Horse #3 tends to switch from left to right

Horse 1 is in mid-teens.

Horse 2 in in late teens.

Horse three is about 5 years old.

Thanks, interesting you have one that switches... I have been trying to find one that does. Perhaps I should be looking at the younger ones...

Does this horse use his body more evenly as well?

I have 16 horses so I can't say for all of them, but my 23yo gelding that I probably watch more closely eat than the others starts on the left. While he's a very balanced horse when it comes to riding and the like, he turns and manuvers easier going left. He's been like that for the 17 years I've owned him.

My 8yo stallion goes back and forth, either side, also very balanced under saddle and in harness. Either direction is fine for him. He doesn't tend to favor a side.

I'll try and look at my 12yo and 11yo mares tomorrow along w/ the 7yo and five youngsters. I only have ten here at home to watch.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique