The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

newtothis Guest

Default Please help with hay problems

Please be nice. I am just seeking knowledge and I do not know where else to turn. I have called my local farm bureau and extension office, but all I get is the run around and voicemail without a return call ever.

My dear dad has spent thousands of dollars on hay equipment on top of numerous hours of his time so that my two horses would have hay. He used to pay someone to bale it for us, but the guy doesn't have time to do it and we could not find any other local farmers to do it.

The first cutting of was late and of ok quality. The second cutting was just recently and it was only about 2 foot high. Both cuttings seem very dusty to me. When you hit the bale with your arm, you can see white dust. Is this mold? Does all this hay need thrown out? I'm so afraid of my dad is going to lose it if after all his work, I have to throw all the hay out. The hay does not smell musty. What is causing this dust? Is there something I can do to the field that will prevent this from happening next year? He used a moisture tester and the hay was dry enough according to it. The hay is a timothy/orchard grass mix. I'm still waiting on my hay sample test to see what the quality of the second cutting is like.

Please help. Thank you.

Contact Tamara In TN from here on COTH at her website: http://www.productionacres.com/ - They're pro hay growers in Tennessee and I'm sure she'd be glad to be of humble assistance.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Contact Tamara In TN from here on COTH at her website: http://www.productionacres.com/ - They're pro hay growers in Tennessee and I'm sure she'd be glad to be of humble assistance.
    Second the idea of asking Tamara - I have read tons of her posts which have answered many questions I've had about hay growing, storing, etc. This board is very lucky to have her contributions and she is extremely generous with her time and advice.

I hope you can figure this out - I understand all the hard work and sweet intentions your dad had in helping you with hay, and how devastated he would be if there was a problem with the cuttings. From all I've read, putting up great hay is a tough job, one that I wouldn't want to tackle. Good luck to you and your dad on this.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    I'm so afraid of my dad is going to lose it if after all his work, I have to throw all the hay out. The hay does not smell musty. What is causing this dust? Is there something I can do to the field that will prevent this from happening next year? He used a moisture tester and the hay was dry enough according to it. The hay is a timothy/orchard grass mix. I'm still waiting on my hay sample test to see what the quality of the second cutting is like.

Please help. Thank you.
    hi

I'm afraid to say that your Dad put the hay up too wet and too old (in the field) second cutting in most places second cutting hay that is really good will be about 14 inches tall

the white puffs you are seeing is mildew and it will not improve with age

the moisture tester he really needs is not a hand held, but an in chamber attachment to a computer and in our machines that attaches to a tub of preservative....

it also would help if he used a mower conditioner and not a sickle bar type

he should take heart however,it has been a terrible year for hay...for all of us...he'd be welcome to call Calvin and ask any questions he'd like

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

newtothis Guest

I just got the hay analysis back on the hay. The RFV was 103. Do I need to throw out all this hay? Would soaking the hay help? Thanks Tamara.

I just got the hay analysis back on the hay. The RFV was 103. Do I need to throw out all this hay? Would soaking the hay help? Thanks Tamara.
    Depending on just how moldy you are talking about you might find a farmer who will feed it to his heifers. It's a completely different thing than feeding horses. Just a thought. I would not feed it to your horses at all.

no an RFV of 100 is fine for most horses....you can soak the least worst to deal with the mildew...but the RFV is a different deal than the mildew...

one does not really affect the other...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.