The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Runny eye? Nasal Discharge?

2 different horses...2 different problems... one senior has a runny eye..leaks with or without a fly mask and he isn't allergic to anything...seems to be just the one eye...what could be causing this?

2nd senior has a chronic reoccuring runny nose..white kinda discharge..coughs alot. He is allergic to alot of things..including his own dander but there is a vet comming out friday afternoon for another horse and I am considering splitting the field call but I love the opinions of COTHers! He is very old..almost 30..and is ridden 2x a week. riding often times clears up the discharge (gets it running more) and I do often times give him Air Power in the am and again before excercise. (Its smells just like an old man's methol cough drop ) sinus infection? cold? poor old guy his appetite is fine and he rides fine...just so much snot!
    don't squat with your spurs on!

The runny eye could be caused by a blocked tear duct. No idea about the runny nose.

years ago our old vet said he didn't have heaves...but this doesn't mean he didn't develop it! waiting on friday for the vet...sigh

Arrow

This is the time of year for fly conjunctivitis. At night the flies to try and stay warm congregate around the eyes - They usually fly off before I come out to reapply the fly masks.

I have two horses that are very sensitive to this. I keep their masks on 24/7. When they have a flare I put anti-biotic ointment from the vet in their eyes - they hate it.

Gooey eyes = runny nose in many cases. Plus we have a very high pollen and mold count at this time of year. I have no known allergies but still need decongestants some days.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

The runny eyed horse rocks a fly mask darn near 24/7. Its only the left eye... and its not a whole lot but it def looks like he has been crying when you take it off and it leave a faint crust under the lower palpebral sulcus.

Call your vet and they will flush out the tear ducts. It's not always a permanent solution and can come back in time.
    www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
    Thoroughbred Training and Sales

I've had/have horses with both of your horses' problems. The nasal discharge/cough is maybe IAD (inflammatory airway disease), which is sort of a precurser to heaves. The horse that has this is 16, and the IAD was discovered after a CBC showed increased white blood cells, an endoscopy was done, lung x-ray, and bronchial alveolar lavage. He was put on a course of antibiotics for a couple of weeks, then a tapering dose of prednisolone. i have to keep him on shavings, wet his grain, wet his hay, keep him outside as much as possible, etc. as dust seems to aggrevate his condition. He's doing well -

My other horse, the one with the runny eye - well, I never did figure that one out. He, too, looked like he'd been crying I had the vet look at his eyes every time he'd come out. This horse was in his late teens when it started...and it never got worse, but also never got better (this horse has since died). So no help on this one

My older gelding presented with on/off eye crusties. Some days it was gone entirely, other days he'd come in from turnout all goopy. He had a blocked tear duct, the vet flushed it and it's good as new. Very simple and inexpensive treatment. Worth having the vet out for an eye exam to check that.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/