The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AQHA breeding questions

Ok, a friend of mine is asking the following, and I can not find any information so far, on the AQHA website. Can anyone help?

The question is: "If I breed a grade mare, to a registered QH stud, can it be registered with the AQHA? Is there a partial registry?"

Hope someone can help!
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

No it can't and no there isn't. AQHA only accepts (JC)TB into its registry. Sorry.

Awesome thank you
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

There is apparently a half-quarter horse registry (lol, no pun intended) not affiliated in any way with the aqha though

http://halfquarterhorseregistry.com/
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I think there is also an appendix registry for 1/2 QH 1/2 TB as well.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Penthilisea View Post
    I think there is also an appendix registry for 1/2 QH 1/2 TB as well.
    Maybe you aer thinking of the part of the regular AQHA registry that the horses registered there are called appendix AQHA?
    That is for TB crosses with registered AQHA horses and those horses can advance to full AQHA registration if they prove themselves.

How do they do that?
    There are regulations specifying how many points they need in performance, what speed index they need to have run if in racing, etc.

AQHA has been an otherwise closed registry for many years now, although they started as an open one, where you could get your mature horse inspected and passed or not.

As a closed registry, as so many are, JC, APHA, etc, they then are also required to register most any horse that has two duly registered parents.

That has made it hard to fight in court to be able to keep any other rules they want, like how much white a horse may have, how many embrio transfer offspring can be registered, etc.

Once two parents have proper registration numbers, their offspring, no matter how it got there, IS registrable, as per the lawsuits the AQHA lost.

That is why it is so hard to get rid of inheritable diseases as HyPP and such, it has to be left to the ethics of breeders and we know there is always at least one bad apple in every basket.

I don't know how it is today with the APHA registered horses, some of them are practically all AQHA, so there are some loopholes where some may be also registered AQHA.

Since AQHA is a closed registry, no, if you don't have two registered parents, with the AQHA or at least one, if crossed with a registered TB, you can't register the offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I don't know how it is today with the APHA registered horses, some of them are practically all AQHA, so there are some loopholes where some may be also registered AQHA.
    If a horse is registered with both APHA and AQHA, then their offspring are eligible for AQHA registration (as long as the other parent is an AQHA or JC registered horse).

After AQHA did away with the white rule requirements, horses that were previously denied AQHA registration due to excessive white were allowed to register with AQHA. Thus, there are many horses currently double registered. To keep this from becoming a huge problem, the year after the excessive white rule was removed from the AQHA handbook, APHA instated a rule saying that one parent my be an APHA in order to be eligible for APHA registration.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.