The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alfalfa Cubes for a 6 month old filly?

I've recently gotten alfalfa cubes for both my mares, a 6 year old and a 6 month old. I've been soaking them for a couple hours before I take them out there in the evenings as kind of an "extra" on top of what the boarding barn is feeding them. Makes a nice mush and they really seem to enjoy it. =)

My question is, is alfalfa safe for youngsters? I haven't found anything to indicate otherwise, and she doesn't seem to be having any reactions or anything to it... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that was going to bite me in the rear later on! I have a 3 qt. scoop and the baby gets 1/2 scoop of the cubes (before soaking) and the mare gets 1 scoop.

Alfalfa is high in calcium, and so you want to make sure that the calcium-phosphorus ratio in the entire ration is not being thrown off by the extra alfalfa.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Perfectly fine so long as you are keeping a balanced ration. I can't imagine 1 1/2 qts of pellets once per day throwing it out of whack unless it's already on the verge of being unbalanced. Or the hay used for the pellets is super dairy quality but that's highly unlikely.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

If the foal is eating all/mostly grass/grass hay, then the additional calcium from the alfalfa is a good thing.

She gets a 1/2 scoop 2 x day of the barn pellet, which is a 12% protein mix from the local mill. Then hay 2 x day is coastal. =)

I give our 5 month old colt (Irish/TB) a scoop of alfalfa day and night.... he was getting a wicked grass/hay belly and just not looking real swanky on the grass hay.

Another colt (full TB) I had to take him and his mom completely off alfalfa and just give them the cruddiest grass hay, the alfalfa was too rich for him.

Jennifer