The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    oh and alterrain.......the only stirrups these feet have been in recently go along with the instruction, slide down, not sit up!
    TMI.... I can't get over people on this board. Why are you so angry about the points then, if you don't ride and don't have horses competing in the classes, what does it matter??? Oh and Angelo, you know who won a few of the bigger derbies recently is ridden by a junior and jumps the 4' options... Oh and it's ALOT different to say the option is 4' - 4'3" then to say they are ALL going to be 4'3".... I just don't get getting upset about something that has NOTHING, I said NOTHING, to do with your life or your existence.... NUTS

.......just because my feet have not been in the irons, does not mean that i don't have horses i own, or have children or grandchilderen that don't compete. I have been around longer than i'd care to admit. Keep your acusatory, judgemental and condesending manner to yourself. I asked a legitimate question and have yet to get an educated, reasonable, response.

Keep your acusatory, judgemental and condesending manner to yourself.
    Excellent advice.

.......just because my feet have not been in the irons, does not mean that i don't have horses i own, or have children or grandchilderen that don't compete. I have been around longer than i'd care to admit. Keep your acusatory, judgemental and condesending manner to yourself. I asked a legitimate question and have yet to get an educated, reasonable, response.
    Well then you must be a regular on the AA circuit, you can just ask people or when your horse is competing, depending on how what options the horse takes or how much "brilliance" is in your horses round will determine score and you will have your answer. Seeing that you have so many relatives and horses competing in these classes, how did they pin in this year's derbies????

i cna ask and have asked and noone has an answer. my relatives do just fine in the derbies.

Well lets all hold hands and sing kum bay yah! This is the response I would expect from the mutual adoration society. The playing field is uneven and the lobbyists are controling the rules. May I quote Mr. Teale from the COTH article " the degree of difficulty points worked just the way they were intended to". Judges and governing bodies are supposed to be neutral and not pre-determine the outcome specific competions. While the overall winners were not predetermined, it seems that outcome Mr. Teal refers to was that out of 35 horses competing all 12 finalists were professionals, not a junior or ammy in the pack. ALso read the last paragraph quote. ANd as for Ms. Serio's quote "for the first time there is a definitive answer" what's that answer, juniors and ammys can't win against professionals? Unfortunately they did beat the pros, buut that was until degree of difficulty points were instituted.

Back to my original thought: let's slice the bologna a little thinner and see if it's still bologna. Guess what, it is!
    This is simply not true. The juniors held their own in the derbies this year, including the junior who was the 3rd place winner at the derby finals.

A good rider is a good rider is a good rider. Do we criticize the Grand Prix course designers for making "the jumps too high" and "not giving the amateurs a chance? No. The people winning the classes are winning because they are better riders, which is obviously the reason they are professionals.

The class was meant to be the "Grand Prix" of the hunters to draw some more attention to the hunters, and that is what the committee is doing. It's not a children's hunter classic. If your kids ride well, they will be rewarded accordingly.

Your anger and cricism utterly befuddles me.

[edit] read the topic.

NEW DERBY SCORING that references a COTH article and a new scoring system that has been used once since adoption at the CHicago Derby! There were no junior finalists. get a clue!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 16, 2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: insult

Precious were you even at the Chicago Derby?? There were professionals in it with multiple rides that didn't get ribbons... is that a sham too? Plenty of people left without a ribbon that day... get over it. Maybe your eye just isn't as educated as you believe it is, and if you are constantly pinning different horses, you should pick up a book or check out a clinic. Its all a conspiracy against you, precious...
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

get a clue serah, [edit] and read the post. [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 16, 2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: insults

Wow. Special thread.

Since when is rewarding the more difficult ride a bad thing? Why should the rules cater to the lowest common denominator? If you've got a connection that shows in derbies and doesn't regularly show at 4' maybe they should start schooling and showing at 4' if they want to do well. You don't send a short stirrup kid into the small juniors and expect to win.

Quote Originally Posted by JinxyFish313 View Post
    Wow. Special thread.

Since when is rewarding the more difficult ride a bad thing? Why should the rules cater to the lowest common denominator? If you've got a connection that shows in derbies and doesn't regularly show at 4' maybe they should start schooling and showing at 4' if they want to do well. You don't send a short stirrup kid into the small juniors and expect to win.
    Jinxy makes the obvious point. Not rewarding those who do the more difficult options in hunter derbies in order to allow the less able a better chance to win is like telling the judges in international level figure skating that a double jump counts the same as a triple or a quad. If you do the harder tricks, you should score higher, even if you do not do them perfectly.

I liked the references to brilliance and pace as desireable attributes. I hope to see that aspect of hunter derby rounds being rewarded in the future.

(Ducking and running. I know that pace is considered taboo in hunters)
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

We removed/edited some comments from this thread. If everyone would like to continue discussing the topic, please do so with a civil tone and without the personal commentary.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

And I thought the sport horse breeding forum was tough!!

My thought is if you can do the 3'6" you can surely jump one 4 foot jump.