The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Derby Scoring System

Someone, please tell me the difference between the new degree of difficulty points and bonus points. I thought bonus points were awarde because you rode the more difficult option. Now you get even more points for jumping the higher option? Bizare. Chanda please explain.

Basically, the degree of difficulty points refer to the 4' options, of which there are typically four.

So, even if you bomb out and have a stop or a rail, but take all of the 4' options, you get four additional points regardless.

The "bonus" points are at the judge's discretion. If you don't take any of the 4', a judge may still like your horse enough to give you bonus points that even it all out anyway.

...what i thought, another crock! another way to slice the bologna a little thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by cantercutie View Post
    In the second round, you get a regular score based on your round and then bonus points for handiness (i.e. jumping the big options, taking the inside turns, etc.) but there is nothing like "for every big option you jump, you get a bonus point." I have seen a horse jump all the big options in the second round and get two and three bonus points.
    Actually, you get bonus points for 4' options now - or that's how it was explained to me. I listened to the show manager talk, in detail, about the new system, but who knows.

canter on cutie. not how it works or reported how it works in the 9/11 COTH. Annoying how people who don't know, answer like they do and would swear they are right.

so, ok, what's the difference?

Also, there are no 4'3" options in any of the Derbies. Doubt there ever will be, considering that the Regulars only jump 4'.

Angry

i am glad you can cut and paste. it proves you have half a brain. the thread is titled NEW Derby Scoring. It was used for the first time in Chicago. COTH reported on the system in the 9/11 edition. do your homework, oh and fix your lead, you're wrong!

PS.... don't bark at me about the 4'3" post. it wasn't mine. i know the rules! and jumping the bigger option came under the brilliance part of the old scoring (not rules) methodology.

so my question remains, put a different way, there are no longer bonus points for jumping the bigger option and the maximum differnce betweeen two equal rounds where one horse jumps the big one and one jumps the smaller one is 1x the number of bigger jumps (4 or 5) ? think about it!

Your last question, Precious, admittedly confused me. Basically, there is a possibility of earning 14 additional points - 10 of those come from the judges and 4 of them from the bigger options. Does that clarify?

No, it does not. If there are 10 bonus points and 4 degree of difficulty points and two horses have flawless rounds one at the 3'6" options and one at the 4 ft options, and each earn all 10 bonus points, the only thing seperating the two horses are 4 points. one point for each of the four foot options.

I'm trying to understand are there still bonus points awarded for jumping the bigger options or just degree of difficulty points? They have made a distinction between these two types of points and i'm trying to understand that difference. Previously you got binus points for jumping the higher options as wellas the other stuff.

My deepest apologies o wise one. I am sorry I was unawares. I have not received last Friday's issue in the mail yet and, therefore, have not read it. I wasn't barking at you, just making my case. Maybe if you had been a little more specific, I could have answered better, or not answered at all. You also didn't have to snap at me for being so out of the loop as not knowing they had changed the rules yet again, could have been pointed out and I would have quietly conceded, as I am now, now that I understand what you are talking about.

I was wrong, I didn't understand. Feel better now?

Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    No, it does not. If there are 10 bonus points and 4 degree of difficulty points and two horses have flawless rounds one at the 3'6" options and one at the 4 ft options, and each earn all 10 bonus points, the only thing seperating the two horses are 4 points. one point for each of the four foot options.

I'm trying to understand are there still bonus points awarded for jumping the bigger options or just degree of difficulty points? They have made a distinction between these two types of points and i'm trying to understand that difference. Previously you got binus points for jumping the higher options as wellas the other stuff.
    Ah, got it. Sorry.

I think bonus points are now awarded solely for style and brilliance and no longer for the bigger options, since degree of difficulty points cover that. Not sure if there's an "official" mandate on that, however.

Angry

thanks, me thinkith it's a crock as stated before. why should a horse that is a career 4 footer week after week get bonus points for jumping 4 foot in a derby? oh that's right. it's the way to be ure the professionals don't get beaten or at least have an edge on their junior and amateur competitors. what a way to highlight the hunters! how about highlighting the politics and whether or not you sit on a committee that makes the rules! Now throw in 4/ 4'6" options and make the regulars jump them and they shoould get bounus points. level the playing field high performance committee. you can fool all of the people sometimes and some of the people all of the time, but.....

we're not all ignaramouses

feel fabulous canter! again, read the topic title before you respond or respond as the ridge did.

Perhaps, oh there are new rules, last i knew......... alot of the Problem on here, a bunch of authority's on stale news. if you're not informed you can't have an opinion. get informed and then formulate your opinion.

True, I agree, but hopefully the savvy judges can use their bonus points to even that out a bit, not to mention that there are quite a few juniors and amateurs who are very capable of taking the 4' options as well.

sure they are capable, but why should the horses and the riders that compete at 4 foot week after wekk have an advantage over their students? I wouldn't compete or let my kids compete under this type of scoring, it's a waste of my money, they'll beat me every time even if we have the same round. And if my fellow competitors feel the same way, how is this benefiting the hunter industry and the traditional hunter if a group is cut out of competing because the cards are stacked? Answer....it won't. It'll pad certain peoples pockets, and in the end leave us where we started. These committee people need to get a clue. people are not as stupid as they think they are. It's just a matter of time!

I wouldn't compete or let my kids compete under this type of scoring, it's a waste of my money, they'll beat me every time even if we have the same round.
    precious, I don't understand your frustration over the new scoring system? If you and someone else have the EXACT same round, you will get the EXACT same scores. If your round is not as good because you jumped the smaller options, your score will reflect that. And if they jumped the bigger options, but your horse jumped better, the scores will reflect that also. It sounds like sour grapes to me. When was the last ribbon you got in a derby under the old scoring system?

And if my fellow competitors feel the same way, how is this benefiting the hunter industry and the traditional hunter if a group is cut out of competing because the cards are stacked?
    How are the cards stacked? Any jr or ammy is welcome to show in the regulars, and they tend to be the owners anyway. Pros are usually on the greenies. Again, sounds like sour grapes.

Derbies are benefitting the hunter industry because riders, owners, and spectators LOVE them. And because BBs like this are full of threads about them.

Well lets all hold hands and sing kum bay yah! This is the response I would expect from the mutual adoration society. The playing field is uneven and the lobbyists are controling the rules. May I quote Mr. Teale from the COTH article " the degree of difficulty points worked just the way they were intended to". Judges and governing bodies are supposed to be neutral and not pre-determine the outcome specific competions. While the overall winners were not predetermined, it seems that outcome Mr. Teal refers to was that out of 35 horses competing all 12 finalists were professionals, not a junior or ammy in the pack. ALso read the last paragraph quote. ANd as for Ms. Serio's quote "for the first time there is a definitive answer" what's that answer, juniors and ammys can't win against professionals? Unfortunately they did beat the pros, buut that was until degree of difficulty points were instituted.

Back to my original thought: let's slice the bologna a little thinner and see if it's still bologna. Guess what, it is!

oh and alterrain.......the only stirrups these feet have been in recently go along with the instruction, slide down, not sit up!

oh and alterrain.......the only stirrups these feet have been in recently go along with the instruction, slide down, not sit up!
    That must by why you're acting so nasty.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"