The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 4 year old Hackney pony in NH

Hello. I have a 4 year old, 12.1ish (may have grown a smidge since I last measured him) Hackney pony gelding I am trying to find a home for. I took him in as a rescue this spring thinking I could break him and sell him as a saddle pony. Well, now that this guy is happy and healthy he is high energy! A very good boy without a mean bone in his body, but clearly meant to be a driving pony not a children's riding pony. He is super cute and is a roaning bay. Has decent ground manners (again never mean, but sometimes gets distracted when you're leading him) and loves to receive any kind of attention he can get. Always runs up to say hello when he is in the field. Curious personality and fairly bold. Very fancy mover with a big trot. I was told that he was green broke to drive when I got him and there were what looked like some harness marks on his chest. I have never hitched him, but have worked him in long lines quite a bit and he definately knew what to do. He also works well on the longe line or in the round pen. He takes his tack fine, will take a rider, but not broke to ride. He loves to work and would go for hours if you asked him to. Gets along well with others, easy keeper, and UTD on everything. Only bad thing is he is a MILD cribber when stalled. It's very easy to control with out a collar. I use a product called "Cribox" on the edges of his stall and he stops completely. I've never seen him crib outside. Otherwise, he is fun to have in the barn. Good home a must! The poor guy has already had one bad home. He can stay as long as he needs to, but want to see him used and enjoyed. Driving home strongly preferred. This little guy needs a job, as he does best with consistent work. Lots of pictures available.

I know someone up your way who doesn't post here but might be able to take him in. OK if I copy this thread for him?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Please feel free! Thank you. I sent you a PM as well with contact info:-)

He's still available if anyone is looking...

Again, still available. Anyone know of any driving barns in New England I might be able to contact? I've tried doing the internet search thing, but not having luck. Thanks.

You should try the different driving clubs - I think most have websites if you google them:

http://www.saratogadriving.com/

http://www.colonialcarriage.org/

and there are more listed here:
    http://www.ridrivingclub.org/clubsassociations.html

You can just call or email - whoever you talk to is sure to be helpful in suggesting places or people to contact, and some of them have newsletters or email lists where you might be able to run an ad.

ETA: also try the driving trainers listed here:

http://justhorses.com/141.html

I also emailed some friends to see if they know anyone...

Thank you! I'll look into those.

You may also want to try the Carriage Driving List CD-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

I posted a link to this on my Hackney's Group on Yahoo. Maybe there is someone there who can help.

Thank you everyone. Hopefully he finds his dream home soon.