The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Went to my first cross country run!

I went to a casual cross country show, it was awesome! We did have troubles our second round though.

The set up was to do the course, you declare your level at the starting box. You could choose the jumps as you felt, more points for going up a level, points off for going down a level. You run your course twice in the day. They ran all 12 of us that attended, then ran us again with no break. My poor horse was tired! We ended up having a little mishap at a square bale and pulled up, she was exhausted and I was exhausted.

Great time though! I know I definitely need to get my horse in better condition for next year, and I want to do a real trial in the spring. I've shown over fences, dressage, and cross country independently, now to put them all together!

Here's a couple bad pictures.

Start box, she wasn't really into the whole idea of walking in.
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...enting_005.jpg

Our very first XC fence EVER! I was riding defensively, she had stopped to peek and was attempting to do so again.
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...enting_072.jpg

Little log jump.
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...ting_074-1.jpg

Taking a trot break before we approach the next fence.
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...enting_075.jpg
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

That start box photo is just hilarious.

It sounds like you had a fun time. Good luck with your fitness work -- and you might find your mare has a different attitude to the start box.

(My old horse had to go to the start box at the very last moment and always with a handler on the ground. Otherwise, he'd take off on his own. )

I will be honest, I did get hurt. It was still fun regardless! When she tripped I went over her shoulder, face planted, and she stepped on my ankle on her way up. So a broken ankle and badly bruised face, and I can't wait until next season to try again!
    Marion Garretty

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaandTuff View Post
    I will be honest, I did get hurt. It was still fun regardless! When she tripped I went over her shoulder, face planted, and she stepped on my ankle on her way up. So a broken ankle and badly bruised face, and I can't wait until next season to try again!
    Yeeouch! Sounds like a pretty sore boo-boo. Can't wait to go again.? The mark of a true eventer ! You're hooked.! Hard to explain to normal folks. Hope you feel better and good luck!

Yea, it was our first time ever doing anything of that sort, and we fall over the freaking square bale. She was looking at the coop next to it and just kinda tripped and I just tipped off the front. It was exhilarating to feel so in tune during our first run! I'm crossing over from barrel racing and local jumpers/eq.
    Marion Garretty