The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Proud flesh?

My gelding had his pastern arthrodesed on August 5th. During the two weeks of casting he developed moderate casting, two on his pastern and one on his cannon bone. They were scrubbed and bandaged with tefla and furacin for two weeks and showed some improvement. Week
    three the sores were scrubbed and bandaged Monday, Wednesday with iodine scrub, calendula gel applied with tefla. Saturday Sept 13th, proud flesh was discovered and equaide was applied with tefla and wrapped. I am really worried about my gelding and would like to know how to best use equaide to get rid of proud flesh. Once proud flesh has formed is there any chance of growing hair back? My surgeon says the hair will grow back, my regular vet says the hair won't grow back. Looking for you opinion and experience, Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

I've never used Equaide, but my 2 mo colt had bad proud flesh on a fetlock wound and the vet said to use OTC hydrocortisone cream on a nonstick dressing, then wrap it. Two applications and the proud flesh had receded back within the opening and it went on and healed. He told me not to keep using it once it had receded to the level of everything else. In the intervening six weeks, the wound has almost completely haired over. Hair has definitely grown where proud flesh was ... the mark we have is minimal considering how bad the original wound was.

Tarn in OK

I had tremendous luck with a yearling who got cast and tore open a long strip almost down to the cannon bone.

After the vet treated him the first day, I used what he gave me to use, then I used Prep H on a diaper or sanitary napkin and wrapped it closed with Vet Wrap. It healed beautifully with minimal scar.

I don't know if this would work once proud flesh has started.

I have one of my own right now to deal with so tremendously interested in what has worked for others.

How much proud flesh?

If it's significant, I'd get the vet to cut it away. Proud flesh is very well vascularized (so it will bleed a lot) but is not enervated (so it won't hurt.)

If it's just a little bit, Adolf's Meat Tenderizer works very well to reduce it.

I have no idea if my horse's proud flesh would be considered significant or not.

What about using meat tenderizer first? and then bringing in the vet?

Ground gained or lost?

My horse's wound is healing around the edges and closing in but there is definately a protruded section of proud flesh.

I made the mistake of not putting a wrap on this.

Thanks for the replies!

This is them http://fharoahcastingsores.blogspot.com/

A friend of mine had no success with the Equiaide but had a vet out that had them use a mixture of meat tenderizer and DMSO. This mares proud flesh was right at the coronary band; hard place to heal. In two weeks time it was gone!! Most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll get the ratios for you.

White Lotion is the only thing I have used with success for proud flesh. It's great stuff!

Exclamation

I'd check with your vet for an ointment that will burn off the proudflesh. It works well and quickly.

Then I would pass on the scrubbing, and settle for gentle cleaning of the area. I'd also abandon the furacin in favor of chlorhexadine ointment(non greasy), and then the telfa pad.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

My mare had a significant amount of proud flesh right along the coronary band and I had tremendous success with Equaide... And hair did grow back.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    I have no idea if my horse's proud flesh would be considered significant or not.

What about using meat tenderizer first? and then bringing in the vet?

Ground gained or lost?

My horse's wound is healing around the edges and closing in but there is definately a protruded section of proud flesh.

I made the mistake of not putting a wrap on this.
    I've also heard good things abt meat tenderizer, but I used OTC hydrocortisone cream (per vet instructions), googled it and found this link:
    http://enduranceridestuff.com/blog/2...rinary-advice/

I like the fact that you CAN mix the hydrocortisone cream with Triple Antibiotic Ointment if needed. Big thing in it's favor in my situation was that the foal was only 2 mo old and I did not want to use anything on him that was going to be painful. He'd been through enough already.

But read the link ... it lists several popular "anti proud flesh" preparations that this vet believes promote the formation of proud flesh.

I asked my vet abt surgical removal of the proud flesh, but he said it was not bad enough for that. Two generous applications, and bandaging for a couple of days each time, took care of it.

Tarn in OK

IMO, that is not 'a lot' of proud flesh. My mare's wound was on her pastern and smaller (quarter to silver dollar size) but had a similar ratio of proud flesh that started around the edges.

I used the meat tenderizer - no wrapping or other treatment - and it cleared it up in just a few days with full hair growth within a few weeks. It was a smaller wound but there is no sign of it left at all. This happened when she was a 6 y.o., so a mature horse (vs. a youngster which a few other posters mentioned).

I could literally watch the meat tenderizer 'melt' off the proud flesh when I applied it. It was pretty amazing. And, not painful, as someone else mentioned.

Best of luck to you - it looks like you caught it pretty early.

My mre had a very bad cut under her hind fetlock about l3 years ago when she was just a kid. My old and experienced vet just sliced it off - rather horrifying because it bled so badly, but he said there were no nerves in there and it did not hurt her - and it did not seem to. It healed so well there is no visible scar at all.

I am considering trying the meat tenderizer.

Is it a powder and you just shake it onto the wound?

No stinging?

My gelding's proud flesh is about the size of a small orange. Location is the front of a hind cannon bone.

I'd love to have something work without having to wrap. I don't want to have my nose kicked in.

Yep, powder. Shake it on. No stinging IMO. No need to wrap, but you can. Keep an eye on the healthy tissue, as it will also affect that.

So you need to watch it literally and hose it off before it gets into the good flesh?

How long does that take?

Oh, no...it's not THAT fast Just don't go applying it every day for 2 weeks without taking a look at the healthy tissue, too. (Not that you would!)

Agree - just sprinkle on. With a larger amount of PF, it will take a while to work but hopefully you will see slow, steady progress.

And, I actually believe it has no effect on healthy tissue.

Hmm, the meat tenderizer idea is interesting. We used to get these little sticks from the vet that were treated at the end with something caustic (silver nitrate I think) and would just melt the proud flesh away, not sure if you can get them elsewhere besides the vet. I'm guessing maybe the meat tenderizer is the same process, but I hadn't heard of that remedy until I joined this board (heard it a lot on here though, haha). Anyway, we always had great luck with the silver nitrate sticks. Certainly there's no harm in calling your vet for a recommendation? Maybe the vet can advise you without an actual trip.

Quote Originally Posted by eventer@heart View Post
    Agree - just sprinkle on. With a larger amount of PF, it will take a while to work but hopefully you will see slow, steady progress.

And, I actually believe it has no effect on healthy tissue.
    Yes, it does. It does not magically differentiate between granulation tissue that is growing excessively and normal granulation tissue. It is a simple enzymatic reaction that breaks down tissues.

This is the active ingredient: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papain