The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Comments about pedigree?

I picked up this little gelding in Feb. as a small hunter prospect. I'm no expert on TB bloodlines, or hunter bloodlines, and just wondered what might be good/bad about his pedigree?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/cast+out2

Thanks!
    Cindy

Default OTTB pedigree help...

shameless bump...

anybody?
    Cindy

You might want to shoot a pm to vineyridge. She is the sporthorse TB guru around these here parts....

IIRC Tom Rolfe is found in eventing pedigrees.
    Also, I think Mr. Prospector is reported to pass on crooked legs.

But vineyridge is the one to ask.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I suggest posting in the racing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnd View Post
    I suggest posting in the racing forum.
    Will do. I didn't want to cross-post and create a ruckus.
    Cindy

Well, how does he jump? that's all the really matters in the Hunter ring. the quality of the jump and having the step.

The Mr P is close up and they are all over the place temperment wise. Some very sensible. Some...well...not.

The Foolish Pleasure is very good on the bottom and not too far back, did not realise he went to Mahmoud who has quite a few good Hunters out there thru various sons and grandsons. he was french, came over here for awhile and then went back to France, find him on alot of SF pedigrees.

If he did not get the hair trigger temper that sometimes comes off that topline, he might be a nice prospect. just be sure he has the step-my Mr P grandson was a nickle short down the lines and a jerk to boot.

But they gotta jump and jump pretty and that's what makes a Hunter and that's also what a piece of paper cannot tell you.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I actually don't have very lofty expectations for him...just a little packer for the local hunter shows and such. I haven't done much jumping with him, just trot poles and crossrails at this point. He hasn't been able to show much form, as we've only done 18", but he's very quiet to the jumps and not "looky" in the least. He's a later 3yo, so no reason to rush things. He's only 15.2, and slow, so the 12' stride probably won't be easy for him. He's going to take a lot of leg, but seems quiet & honest so far.

http://community.webshots.com/album/574662483ZGtbTd
    Last edited by Mali; Sep. 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: link to photos & video added
    Cindy

As findeight stated in the end bloodlines do not amount to a pile of beans if the horse cannot do their job. So movement, jump, work ethic, disposition are the key factors.

TB bloodlines are not well documented concerning our disciplines and if you follow some of the modern breeding concepts you need to look at the 4rd through 7th generations of bloodlines and the sex balancing of the bloodlines to determine where the bloodline engine is. Though I know a number of great horsemen who swear by the throw-back concept and reference a horse appearance and compare it to their bloodlines to see where the engine is.

All that being said what I see right off the bat is Damascus. Damascus was the sire of Napur a successful TB GP horse. Damascus was also considered a sire of sires, so he was a great progenitor of hunter/jumper horses. Damascus's bloodlines go back to some impressive sires like Blue Larkspur, Teddy, Nearco, My Babu, and Princequillo all horses that produced excellent hunter/jumpers along the way.
    Mr. Prospector was the sire of Fappiano, who again was a sire of sires. Fappiano was also the leading event sire for as many years as he produced crops.

Storm Cat, who came from the Dam side of Secretariat, believed to be the dominant engine in his bloodline, produces nice horse. I do not know any that I are competing now that are at the top levels but many like his bloodline in the hunter ring, perhaps because he produces very flashy horses.

My personal experience with Mr. P is that these horses have a tireless work ethic, and I have had a few with very good jump. They are not always the biggest snuggle bunnies, and sometimes a little nasty to work with, but as I said they will generally work their butts off, and are intelligent horses.

Storm Cat horses are much the same good work ethic, but tend to want to be left alone otherwise.

If you really want to study your horse bloodlines you should look at the TB heritage website, and at Dr. Peter Birdsall's many articles archived in CH regarding TB bloodlines.

I especially recommend Birdsall's articles, you would be surprised to see how many of the world class jumpers are related to your horse, which is always interesting to know, but at the end of the day it really comes down to what your horse does today.

Hauwse - thank you so much for pointing me in the correct direction to do a little of my own research! Your post was just what I was hoping to find from a fellow Cother!
    Cindy